PDA

View Full Version : Whatizzit..sympathy bid

357maximum
03-08-2009, 04:29 AM
A little mystery for you....on a sympathy bid at an auction....what did I buy?

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/mar09116.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/mar09125.jpg

Looks like a conversion from flint to percussion, five bands marrying the barrel to the stock, and a wierd almost square bore. It is big long and heavy...and sports one very odd buttugly buttend. Did kyber pass make muzzleloaders?[smilie=1:

JeffinNZ
03-08-2009, 05:02 AM
A talking piece.

missionary5155
03-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Good morning
Camel Gun. The rear stock is hooked UNDER the arm pit to steady the weapon as camel riding is NEVER smooth. I understand most were loaded with heavy shot (Swan shot size) as there was little accurate aiming done while moving.

FL-Flinter
03-08-2009, 07:23 AM
More than likely it's a late period jezail given the general appearance. Does the bore appear to be squared throughout or only near the muzzle? More pic's and close-ups would be helpful, key areas are the bottom & top of the wrist around the trigger guard & tang, also the RR entry and barrel bands. Likely from the north western Hind or Persian region but more details may help narrow it down more.

357maximum
03-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Mark

The bore is square as far as I can see down into it, and it looks like the corners are the grooves. The whole thing is crude and all trim is put on with brads. It will hold half cock, but not full cock...not that I would shoot it. The thing looks like one of my hamfisted ancestors made it with a rock and a nuther rock . I basically just wondered what the heck to call it. I can get you more pics if YOU are interested...mine has faded already.

It all went down like this...jabberjaws at the podium went on and on trying to get a bid on this relic...no bites...when it became painfully obvious this was going nowhere fast...I bid 2 bucks to shut him up and to get the show moving again....some 'expletive transitive verb of your choosing' decides he will bid 3 bucks...so I bid another to show him who was boss.:lol:

the show got back on the road, i was out 4 bucks, and the family hunting cabin has a new dust collector and possibly a gun for the feller that loses cards, forgets to load the stove:roll: or forgets his rifle.:wink:

On a positive note I did pick up a few future projects of the persuasion you would be interested in....you will get some pm's full of questions when I get to them...of that I am sure. One of the projects is smooth/shiny and lacking any rifling (by design) internally about 58cal to 20 bore and about 6 foot long...it's gonna need some parts and a face lift and an undercarriage adjustment.[smilie=s:

Michael

FL-Flinter
03-08-2009, 11:01 PM
The square-ish bore isn't all that uncommon, normally these barrels were hammered out of whatever scrap iron that they could gather up. If it has some twist to it, that would qualify as a "rifled" bore. The lock more than likely came off a British or Brit-Indian gun as they were "highly complex" to make so it was easier to just get one off someone else's gun. The lack of pronounced butt swell indicates it's even less sophisticated than the normally unsophisticated common jezail's, also could mean it's from the more northern/northeastern regions or the fringe southern regions too. I'll double your money and pay the shipping just to have it....oh, yea, I'm a sucker for such trinkets of history.

PM or email away with your projects & questions - I'm more than happy to help in any way I can!

Mark

357maximum
03-08-2009, 11:45 PM
My wife is doting on it pretty good, thinks it has a place in the new house when we get it built. That's pretty good seeing as how I am not sure I have a place in that unbuilt scheme of hers.:holysheep I bring home lots of useful stuff and she is unimpressed. I bring this and she decides she likes the relic...go figure.:redneck: If I ever understand women I am going to tie a brick to my leg in the deepest lake I can find.

FL-Flinter
03-09-2009, 07:06 AM
That's too-funny! [smilie=l: Is you wife looking for any other "vintage, classical, historical relics" ... I may just have some things around here ... [smilie=1:

Just be happy she took a liking to the ML and not one of these 150# chickens like my wife did. Actually it wandered in the yard one day, and it's still here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/markkw/General/Image005.jpg

357maximum
03-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Something like that wandered into the yard, it might be on the menu:shock:. Betcha that critter has some big ol drumsticks[smilie=w:

KCSO
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
A Jezail converted to percussion or made up from a converted lock. The square bore was actually used by the British in the 1700's. The crank operated flintlock PUCKLE gun had two barrel sets, round bullets for Christians and square bullets for TURKS. The odd shaped stock on the gun was made to tuck under the arm when riding your camel. Your gun is a very plain one. Many of these were inlaid with ivory and silver and were quite ornate.

FL-Flinter
03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Something like that wandered into the yard, it might be on the menu:shock:. Betcha that critter has some big ol drumsticks[smilie=w:

That was my first thought as well but of course, the dang bird had to be friendly and mamma got suckered... :roll: He's actually a good chicken protector though, several times I've found blood trails leading out of Big Bird's pen that is attached to the back of the chicken pen - likely a coon or yote thinking I'm running the KFC critter buffet but only encountering an emu kick. :holysheep I really feel sorry for them too :violin:

WickedGoodOutdoors
03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Thats one of theose Persian Suave Rifles that were dropped in the sand by French Forgien Legions back in the late 1800's The things were all over the place in Arabia in every souvineers shop (Souak) for a couple of bucks. It may even be made of Damascus Steel!

Note that in the classifieds I have some square threaded stainless steel bullets to fit that caliber!

Kind of neat. Now you need a Kamel Saddle and Hubble Bubble to go with it.

Whats with the Square Boolits for Turks? Is that so Wirling Dervishes could use them?

Remember when riding your Kamel to Puckle Up for Saftey

SWIAFB
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
You don't supose Wapsupi would have any loob grooves for that thing ? I heard he still has boxes full.

rick/pa
03-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Sherlock Holmes' friend, Dr. Watson, was wounded by one of these during his service in Afghanistan. "Quick, Watson! The games afoot!" :mrgreen:

Question for any Holmes fans out there. Where was Watson wounded?

WickedGoodOutdoors
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
The Famous Mr. Watson was wounded in his Glutomus Maximus for which the Queen of England Knighted him Sir Loin.

He was then commisioned to lead the charge of the battle of Buttocks to rid the land of Squatters.

Seriously:

Why would they have square Barrels shooting square bullets? Perhaps for shooting Vittles to cook up into a Mesopotamia? with a side order of ziggurat.

http://plus.maths.org/issue11/features/compound/ziggurat.jpg