PDA

View Full Version : I need to "black" my sights

buck1
03-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I have a ss revolver with fixed sights.I want to make them forever black instad of natural SS. Sight black/markers/paint will just rub off I think. Any ideas???...Buck

HeavyMetal
03-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Birchwood Casey makes sight black in a spray can!

Never leave home without it!

Second choice have the stainless gun Blued! It can be done but the high pitched tone that will come out of your wallet will shatter car windows for 5 blocks!

buck1
03-08-2009, 01:37 AM
I have a can, but its not much for staying power.

Three44s
03-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Forever ....... is a LONG TIME!

So for a little ...... you can blacken them for a while ...... and it only takes a moment to touch it up!

I use a laundry pen or better still .......... a cattle tag pen ...... black of course.

Three 44s

Echo
03-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Sharpy?

Or replace the sight - should be easy to do.

3006guns
03-08-2009, 03:05 AM
How about one of those pens for marking steel like they use in steel yards? The ink or paint must be pretty tough to stand up to the elements. Just a thought...

Boerrancher
03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
If you know someone in the military have them get you a bottle of M-Nu. It is what we use to blacken the pin on badges for the BDU and ACU uniforms. I use to have a bottle of it that I used for years for such things a blackening sights and retouching up my rank on my cap and badges pinned on my uniform when I had occasion to wear them or was too lazy to use the sew on ones.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

dromia
03-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I use soot from a carbide lamp to blacken my sights as its really matt but it isn't forever, replacement with a blued one might be your best route as suggested already.

EDK
03-08-2009, 11:56 PM
How about one of those pens for marking steel like they use in steel yards? The ink or paint must be pretty tough to stand up to the elements. Just a thought...

I "mooched" a metal marker at work and use it on the front sight and rear "hog wallow" on my stainless VAQUEROS. It is a considerable improvement. It will wear off with holster carry, but is pretty durable.

Manufactured by ITW DYKEM Olathe, KS 66061

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

buck1
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
thanks all!!!!!!!!!