PDA

View Full Version : Would a different sight picture help?

jh45gun
03-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Just wondering since my fixed sighted gun (Uberti cattleman) is shooting to the left I can take it in to the gun smith and get it tweaked to hit where its supposed to or I wonder if I change my aim so the front sight is on the right side of the groove on the receiver if that would accomplish the same thing and get my bullets to go right?

Bullshop
03-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Would it be dangerous to try?

jh45gun
03-07-2009, 11:45 PM
What do you mean dangerous to try???? Say this U is the back notch instead of putting the blade of the front sight in the middle like a normal sight picture I would line up the front sight on the right hand side of the U that moves the barrel over to the right. Just wondering if anyone has done this.

Heavy lead
03-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Yup, I have and it'll work.

FN in MT
03-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Called "Kentucky Windage" ...... so apparently someone in Kentucky does it.

On a serious note...I have heard of gunsmiths turning the barrel a smidge to compensate for the windage. If you don't get much info here go to one of the CAS sites or maybe the Ruger Forum.

I have a 4" S&W M10 (fixed sights) that REALLY shoots off to the left for me. I have to really stick that frt sight way over in the notch. Guess thats why adjustable sights became so popular.

FN in MT

Bullshop
03-08-2009, 12:18 AM
I was being sarcastic. I ment why were you asking instead of trying.
No offence intended but I see way too much helplesness at times.
Some folks just cant seem to do anything on thier own, even very simple non dangerous things, things that cost nothing to try.
There seems to be a small percentage of sociaty that are doers, the ones that try things on thier own and pave the way for the majarity of followers.
Please forgive me for unloading this on you but I have been wanting to say that for a long time. Rats now that I said it I dont feel any better atol.
Just forget the whole thing.
BIC/BS

jh45gun
03-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Some folks just cant seem to do anything on thier own, even very simple non dangerous things, things that cost nothing to try.
There seems to be a small percentage of sociaty that are doers, the ones that try things on thier own and pave the way for the majarity of followers.
Please forgive me for unloading this on you but I have been wanting to say that for a long time. Rats now that I said it I dont feel any better atol.
BIC/BS

OK I was asking because it is DARK OUT and the RANGE IS CLOSED so kinda hard to test it out. I was at the range to day and shot this Uberti for the first time. I did not think about the sight picture I mentioned until I got home and by then it was too late to go back and try it. I know gunsmiths move the barrel to adjust it my Smith said at least 50 bucks maybe more to get it to shoot to the point of aim. If useing an altered sight picture works well enough then I will not bother with the gunsmith. I asked here just to find out if that was feasable now I know it was so I will go out and shoot again in the future and try it. If it was not feasable it was going to the smiths this next week. Now I will hold off and try shoot it again using the different sight picture. Trust me if I would have thought about it at the range I would have tried it instead of hearing your implying I am helpless.

FN and Heavy Lead thanks for the replys. FN how far to the left is your gun shooting?

HeavyMetal
03-08-2009, 01:32 AM
How "new' is your pistol?

POI can be a warranty issue! I bought a Uberti, 45 Colt 4 3/4 inch barrel, shot 18 inches left and 10 inches south at 15 yards!

Called the maker got a number for the warranty station in N. Calif. got told to send it got it back in two weeks and it shot to POI! No Charge!

Suggest you make a call! it probablely left the factory like that ( the gunsmith at the warranty station gave me the impression this was done so many times he could do it in his sleep)

crabo
03-08-2009, 01:52 AM
The problem with a different sight picture, to me, is that if I want to take a quick shot, it will not hit where I look.

jh45gun
03-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I bought it used I suspect the origional owner shot it and did not want to mess with it shooting to the left so traded it in on something else. This is a Taylor's and Co gun I know they do have a gunsmith on duty there maybe I will give him a call.

rhead
03-08-2009, 07:16 AM
BIC/BS

It isn't just here. It is better here than most places. A huge segment of our population wants to over analyze the simplest of problems. They will not take action until they are assured of sucess. It is almost like they have been taught that the mental trauma of failure will devistate their entire mental future. It takes long enough to make a test run and measure the results for the commitiee to come up with the best place to order the donuts!
Try it. Measure the results. If the results aregood keep it. If they were bad, clean up the mess and try something else.

Bret4207
03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
BIC/BS

Well said Dan. The juvenile, profane reply you got back was totally uncalled for. I think you're owed an apology. Your pot obviously wasn't aimed at the OP author. Must be thin skinned.

robertbank
03-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Before you do anything and assuming you haven't done this already I would do the following:

First I would try shooting the gun from a solid rest. I would also have a friend who shoots pistol try the gun as well from a rest. I have the Beretta SAA which is a cousin of your gun (Beretta owns Urberti), and I was shooting the gun left as well. I did as suggested and started lining the front sight up on the right side of the rear notch. Things improves imediately. I then set a target up at 10 yards and, using a pistol rest tested the gun. The gun shot POA, what I was doing was pushing the gun left as I touched off each shot. I don't shoot the SAA often and found I just had to get used to the long hammer fall and the very light SA trigger.

Take Care

Bob

Heavy lead
03-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Before you do anything and assuming you haven't done this already I would do the following:

First I would try shooting the gun from a solid rest. I would also have a friend who shoots pistol try the gun as well from a rest. I have the Beretta SAA which is a cousin of your gun (Beretta owns Urberti), and I was shooting the gun left as well. I did as suggested and started lining the front sight up on the right side of the rear notch. Things improves imediately. I then set a target up at 10 yards and, using a pistol rest tested the gun. The gun shot POA, what I was doing was pushing the gun left as I touched off each shot. I don't shoot the SAA often and found I just had to get used to the long hammer fall and the very light SA trigger.

Take Care

Bob

I did this exact same thing with a Ruger New Vaquero in 357. I was convinced I needed to turn the barrel, so I took only that gun to the range one day and really locked down on it and it shot perfect windage with the loan that I finally settled on. It did shoot low, but that was the easy fix.

robertbank
03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
:grin:My wife bought me my SAA Beretta as a retirement gift, (Gene Autry was my cowboy hero!). I love the gun but it took some time to get used to it. Aside from nearly shooting my toe off when I loaded six rounds in the gun and had the hammer slip on me as I was letting it down (Gene Autry loaded one and skipped one for a reason) the gun has treated me well. I shoot mostly semi-autos in IDPA but enjoy an afternoon of shooting Indians and Rustlers, in the form of tin cans, at the range. The boy never leaves the man!

Gun now shoots POA or at least where the sights are aiming and that is not always where I thought I was aiming.

Take Care

Bob

jh45gun
03-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Well said Dan. The juvenile, profane reply you got back was totally uncalled for. I think you're owed an apology. Your pot obviously wasn't aimed at the OP author. Must be thin skinned.

Thanks Bret how quick we forget when you was pushing that forum to protect gun rights I was right there telling folks trying to help you get folks there and now I am juvinile because I thought some one gave me some BS just because I did not try it. Like I said I did not think about it until after I got home from the range. And why the hell should I appologise to him I think it is the other way around all I did is ask a simple question and he up and rained all over me.
All I asked was a simple question if any one tried it to find out or if I had to take it in to get the barrel turned. Now due to the helpful folks here I have found some things to try. To you folks who responded with answers thanks I do appreciate it. To the rest who have a burr under your saddle for who knows what reason if you do not like the question then do not answer!

jh45gun
03-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your info Bob

carpetman
03-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Aiming wrong to compensate is a poor choice. Do it with all your guns and trying to remember which one to aim left and which one to aim right would be a headache. What if someone else uses it? So what you need to do is mount a big fan on your gun that produces wind to make your bullet drift to point of aim.

jh45gun
03-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Forget I even asked i used to like this forum and never seen the smartassed comments before or maybe I never noticed because they were not directed at me. This thread has shown me there are some great helpful folks here and then there are some well we will let it go at that.

jh45gun
03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Bob I shot off a rest at 15 yards but I will try it again to see and then go from there.

Bret4207
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks Bret how quick we forget when you was pushing that forum to protect gun rights I was right there telling folks trying to help you get folks there and now I am juvinile because I thought some one gave me some BS just because I did not try it. Like I said I did not think about it until after I got home from the range. And why the hell should I appologise to him I think it is the other way around all I did is ask a simple question and he up and rained all over me.
All I asked was a simple question if any one tried it to find out or if I had to take it in to get the barrel turned. Now due to the helpful folks here I have found some things to try. To you folks who responded with answers thanks I do appreciate it. To the rest who have a burr under your saddle for who knows what reason if you do not like the question then do not answer!

Yes, you've been helpful and you''ve been here long enough to know Dan would never attack you like you think. Just because you've helped me doesn't mean I can't see where you over reacted. Doesn't make you evil or me a saint. Just means you took something wrong and should be able to see that, make it right and go on. All he was saying is too many people today overthink things before they even try. There's no harm in trying what you are asking about is all he was saying.

I your case I would take a file to the rear sight and open it up in the direction opposite the way I want the boolit to go. I think that's right anyway. If you draw it out it should make sense.

Bullshop
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
OK I apologise! Nothing personal!
If I may suggest, and hoping you dont take this the wrong way may I suggest you read,
Shooting by J. Henry FitzGerald
It was a great help to me in shooting revolvers.
Fitz taught Elmer how to shoot, sorta.
He explaines how as a service rep for Colt he had many many fixed sight revolvers returned for repair because they shot left.
He gives a very good explanation of proper hold and most importantly proper thumb pressure to the frame to bring poi to the right.
Please dont take this as me saying your not doing it right. All I am saying is Fitz's book helped me a whole bunch in solving a similar problem to what you are having.
Blessings
BIC/BS

jh45gun
03-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I will check that out thanks as far as thumb pressure goes I am left handed so my thumb would not push to the right. Bret no way am I taking a file to this pistol it will go to the gunsmith first if I cannot get it to shoot using a better grip ect.

carpetman
03-10-2009, 11:36 PM
jh45gun----very probably my response was one you took offensive---the big fan was a joke. Compensating how you aim to correct a problem is a very poor correction in my books. There is a better way.

Dale53
03-11-2009, 12:27 AM
I have a nice Cimarron .44 Special single action. Nice trigger and shoots small groups. It, however, shoots a bit left and a bit low (not bad but I DEMAND that my pistols shoot where I'm looking). This particular revolver's sights copy the original Colt single action sights. That is to say, the sights are miserable. Small "v" notch for a rear sight and a skinny front sight. I am thinking seriously of opening up the rear sight (carefully, and workmanlike, you understand). IF I do that, I can easily move the point of impact.

On the other hand, moving the barrel is probably the most positive way I could fix the windage.

If it didn't shoot so well in one of my favorite calibers I would just trade it off.

One thing no one here has mentioned, is that we don't all see the sights the same way. I used to have a shooting buddy that shot well but he and I, using the same revolvers, were six or eight inches apart at 25 yards. Our brain/eye cordination was just different - we actually saw different things when we looked (and that was when we both could see[smilie=1:).

Bottom line is, no one else can regulate a fixed sighted gun for you. You pretty much have to do it yourself. The way around that fact, however, is to carefully, from the bench shoot a series of targets (three ten shot targets will do), then ship the targets AND gun to your gunsmith and then he CAN regulate it for you. He'll just measure the average center of your target groups and move the point of impact that much (that works even if he sees the sights differently).

I have regulated a few fixed sighted guns. My method is to do it with three range sessions. Most of the correction the first trip, but not take off everything I need (or turn the barrel quite as far as I need). That way, as you may see things a bit differently from day to day, you won't go too far. I did my Vaquero and Bisley Vaquero that way and it was RELIABLY dead on at 25 yards with the loads I was going to use.

Dale53

carpetman
03-11-2009, 12:36 AM
When I first put a scope on my RWS air rifle, I was disappointed that it hit If I remember correctly low and right. The scope did not have enough adjustment to bring it on target. There was no way I was going to put up with aiming high left---not an option. The RWS scope base was not meant to be removed so shimming there was not an option. I tried with poor results putting shims in the scope ring----bad idea. I called the RWS repair center and the smith didnt ask me where it was hitting---he knew--he called the shot. What was needed was an adjustable scope mount. Something about the design of the RWS makes them hit where mine was. The adjustable mount solved the problem. Not for that I wouldn't own the gun at this time.

jh45gun
03-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Sorry if I took it wrong Bull admitted to being sarcastic and then when you posted I thought more of the same. I now know it was either partly the ammo or me as the next time I shot the groups were more centered to the target and not all to the left. First time was with Federal factory ammo second time was my handloads as I stated in that other post.