PDA

View Full Version : Lube

Turboman
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
For anyone who wants to share,Whats your own secret blend of bullet lube for the ol Sharps rifles?
jeff

Don McDowell
03-07-2009, 10:52 PM
If you go to www.bpcr.net. There's a whole big list of lube recipes there.

I do it the easy way and order the lube from www.sageoutfitters.com

R. Dupraz
03-07-2009, 11:29 PM
If I told you, it would't be a secret anymore..........Well, OK, but only if ya don't spread it around.

50/50 Bee's wax and Olive oil with a dash of Lanolin.

RD

Bullshop
03-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Nasa
bic/bs

cajun shooter
03-08-2009, 07:27 AM
+1 on your Nasa blend Dan!!!! DAN I JUST BOUGHT 3 LBS OF YOUR NASA BLEND TO TRY AND IT'S GREAT. SHOT A CAS MATCH ON SATURDAY AND USED THE OLD 454190 in my rifle as it's new and needs work to shoot the blunt nose big lube bullets. I was concerned that the small lube grooves would cause me a problem but the NASA LUBE held up and worked great. Later David

13Echo
03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I've been using two blends. The one I use now is beeswax, anhydrous lanolin, and peanut oil in the ratio of 6:4:2. It has more lanolin than most lubes but has been giving me excellent results and I don't think I'll change. The other lube is Dale 53's modified Emmert's which is beeswax, plain unsalted Crisco, Canola oil, and anhydrous Lanolin. It's Emmert's with half the oil replaced with lanolin. Works very well and is now the favorite lube of my good friend Bo in his trapdoor.

As you can see there are many lubes available and innumerable formulas and many of them work well. Finally there is no lube that's perfect for all conditions of temperature and humidity.

Jerry Liles

littlejack
03-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I guess you could call me new at the bp game. I just started last fall with my Uberti Hiwall. I started making the Emmerts recipe. It seems to work very well. I get the lube star on the end of the muzzle and the fouling is soft. The recipe is the basic, 5parts beeswax, 4 parts unsalted Crisco and 1 part canola oil. I was going to get some anhydrous lanolin and mix in but the basic works so well I decided not to. Maybe later in the game just for giggles and some R&D?
Jack

EDK
03-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I started with SPG, went to DGL (from Shiloh Sharps) and now use Lars' black powder lube. To my uneducated eyes and hands, they all look, smell and work about the same. Lars' is less than half the price of the other stuff. He also makes some d--- good lubes for smokeless. Link to Lars at bottom of page.

PS Lars knows how we think. He discounts the lube if you order it in baggies rather than the plastic tubes. It becomes an even better bargain!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

cajun shooter
03-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Beeswax, paraffin, lanolin and jojoba oil. Works very well and stays in the sizer without a sticky mess. About equal parts of each. Not rocket science