PDA

View Full Version : Casting Inventions."My WW clip remover".

marlinman2008
03-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I diped wheel weight clips out almost forever and about 2 years ago about the time when i got a lee furnace i came up with an idea that might be marketable and after creating a prototype i was amazed at how easy this new invention made things for me what i created was a basket out of wire mesh kinda like the type used for making utility trailers which was curved in the middle to go around the plunger of my furnace i made my basket with wire mesh walls about 2" high and used 1/8" diameter steel wire for a handle and about 1/4" off the pot walls to pull the clips out of the molten metal it worked great but i had to be careful not to burn myself emptying it but thats what they make welding gloves for this thing made me have a more lead due to me not throwing those small amounts away with the clips this is a quick and easy clip strainer anyway i just wanted to share something that may help someone any questions or comments would be greatly accepted :coffeecom

RayinNH
03-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Longest sentence I've ever seen...Ray

sundog
03-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I wonder if he took a breath while composing that?

RayinNH
03-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Sundog, I think he's taking a breath now, there's no period at the end...Ray

hammerhead357
03-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Can I say over??????Wes

waksupi
03-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Awww, I've seen longer!

http://www.theworldslongestsentence.com/

Seriously, welcome aboard, and don't mind the kidding.

I've often wondered about a method like that, but my cleaning pot holds around 100#. I don't know if I would be able to get the strainer out of it once it was all melted.

3006guns
03-08-2009, 03:12 AM
You mentioned "comment would be greatly accepted".........

1. The idea is a good one and could save some time......thanks!

2. Please type as you would actually speak to someone. I'm sure you don't talk in a gushing torrent of words, but that's how your post reads. Not trying to insult or injure you......just want to make it easier for everyone to share your information. Hey, that's what this forum is about! Welcome aboard!:mrgreen:

Firebricker
03-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Good tip marlinman as far as your sentence I can read it just fine I didnt know are posts were going to be graded guess me and you better stay off of the future spelling bee section

Beekeeper
03-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Duh>
spelling bee section.
Boy i'm in trouble now.
Welcome aboard, I read it just fine. Will give it a try next time I drown wheel weights

beekeeper

mooman76
03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
I use an old ladle not sure what it's called but it was a little wire basket shape on a handle used with woks for removing food from deep frying. Works good for me but I don't use a huge pot either.

Bill*
03-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Marlinspike; You mention "curved in the middle to go around the plunger of my furnace". I think you might be better off not melting the weights in a bottom pour furnace. Try a seperate regular pot- Your spout will stay cleaner, plus you won't have that plunger to deal with.:wink:

GARD72977
03-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I like the post. The guy is just into what he is doing. When you are creating things spell check and periods just get in the way.

357maximum
03-26-2009, 03:20 AM
If you happen to live in an area where someone other than Jesus and Ebola can walk on water a few months out of the year you can likely find the best thing I have found for skimming ww clips. A little holey steel scoop made to get ice chips out of your fishing hole. Just make sure you get the one with the welded on handle, or weld the riveted one yourself to reinforce it.

pdawg_shooter
03-26-2009, 08:11 AM
I use a magnet on a stick. Strike it on the edge of my scrap bucket to dislodge the clips. No muss no fuss!

hoosierlogger
03-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I USED to have an old fry daddy basket that I would set in the pot and pull the clips out. It WAS nice because I WOULD put the weights in the basket and gently set them in the pot to avoid dropping them in, thus avoiding a splash when the clips enter the molten lead in the pot. Now I say I USED to have one, it fell victim to a 4 wheeler tire and got smashed and sadly had to be put to rest. I am currently browsing flea markets and auctions for a replacement.

l-weinrich
03-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Dang! the ice scoop thats in my fishing shack! I'm an idiot for not thinking of that yesterday

kodiak1
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I should post you a picture of the two that I got when I bought my Magna Pot.
Ken.

JFriis
03-29-2009, 03:07 AM
I use an old green bean (yuck) can attached to a section of an old rake handle.
Drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom (3/8") and got to work.

If I am not careful it will trap some lead with it while removing clips.

missionary5155
03-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Good morning
The easy solution is come to Arequipa... there are no wheel weights to had unless you find the random one laying in th street downtown.
Good Idea on the clip removale... Bit I agree with the above...Dont Use your Lee to smalt. Get an old Colman stove or a campfire and an old yard sale cast pot ...
Mike in Peru

Junior1942
03-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Marlinman2008, I teach college level advanced writing. Over the years I've had several students submit papers with sentences like yours. Needless to say, they didn't like their grades. No grade for you, but I'm having trouble understanding utility trailers with a curve in the middle.

hoosierlogger
03-29-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm having trouble understanding utility trailers with a curve in the middle.
I think he is talking about expanded steel mesh.

imashooter2
03-29-2009, 08:41 AM
A couple of bucks at the Wal-Mart...

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/stainer350.jpg

JSnover
03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Marlinman, got a picture? I like the idea but I'd be interested in seeing the mesh.

7of7
03-29-2009, 04:50 PM
utility trailers with a curve in the middle.

Now I am really confused,... I bet these trailers corner really good....

All in all, we shouldn't be picking on him to much,... I hope he has a sense of humor...

RP
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Man this place is great for ideals and getting ragged. I dont care if they grade me I wonder how many are the guys that hang around the gun stores and ranges just so they can talk to someone. Good thing we have this site so that may give the other places a rest.