PDA

View Full Version : Reddingmeasurejams

glicerin
03-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I really liked the look of this measure #3, at a gunshow, only $15, and all machined steel! It has the small pistol cylinder in it, which I wanted for .25acp, .32acp, and .38spcl. It cycles smoothly MT after I removed excess paint from cylinder slot, but it jams badly when I load with unique, even worse with 800X. I'll normally use bullseye or W231, but haven't tried that yet. Anybody fixed a problem like this? thanx

oneokie
03-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Need more information. Where is it jamming?

Morgan Astorbilt
03-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Is this the "new style" measure with a set screw on the right side of the drum to hold the the cylinder? The old models used the adjustment lock screw to do this. Jams are caused by a less than perfect fit of the cylinder top to the drum. Any crevice can cause fine powder to jam between this and the measure body, and make large grain rod powder difficult to cut. If the new style, remove the drum, and re-insert the cylinder, locking it with the set screw. See if the top of the cylinder is a perfectly smooth fit with the drum. If not, using a cone shaped stone in a rotary tool such as a Dremel, adjust the depression the cone tipped Allen set screw point enters, to bring the cylinder even with the drum. If yours is the "old style" measure, you can upgrade by drilling through the drum left to right, to the other side, and tap it for an Allen set screw, at the same time, drilling a dimple in the cylinder if necessary. Most older cylinders were drilled straight through for the left side setting lock screw, and this hole can be beveld a bit. I've upgraded several older #3's this way.
Morgan

glicerin
03-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanx Morgan, this sounds right. It's an old style, and I suspected the cylinder was not quite flush with drum. I centre-punched the position hole to move cyl up slightly, but not enough. A separate setscrew sounds good.