PDA

View Full Version : Barrel shot out

lunicy
03-07-2009, 04:35 PM
How do you tell if a barrel is shot out. I have a 92 that won't shoot for nothing. I've tried every load in it. If you look down the barrel, it looks clean and nice, not pitted or nothing. Is there a visible way of telling? I have tried about 100 different loads in it. Different boolits, powder, loads. Nothing shoots better than 4" at 25' Off a rest, can't blame me for this one :)

44man
03-07-2009, 04:55 PM
No pits, no rust, no wallowing from wrong cleaning, clean, sharp rifling, good clean crown, better blame something else.
Slug the bore to see what it measures.
We need to know more, caliber and measurements, boolits tried, diameter of boolits, twist rate and a thousand other things. Don't give up, something is wrong and we can't help without a lot more info.

klcarroll
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Geez! .....If it looks "nice and clean" but still won't do better than 4" at 25', ......Well, there's something else wrong!! A smoothbore will shoot better than that!

Seriously, ....Something's wrong! ......Look for something loose, like barrel or sights!

....And at the risk of sounding "insulting", are you sure about the caliber?????

Kent

fishhawk
03-07-2009, 05:00 PM
check the sights for one but i suspect a bad crown. steve k

MtGun44
03-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Slug the bore, use softer alloy or hollow base designs. Check the crown, as
suggested. Essentially impossible to shoot out these pistol calibers, but you
can rust out and clean out these bores for sure. Funneled muzzle end due to
improper cleaning?

What cal? Maybe shooting .38-40s in a .44-40 or similar issue. If it was
a 94 I'd suspect .30-30 in a 32 Spl.
Any chance it has been rechambered?

Bill

lunicy
03-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Should have given more info.

Beretta 92
certainly a 9mm

I've tried 125gr, 100gr, and 150gr (.38 sized down)
Used every safe load w/ bullseye, unique, and blue dot.

The gun is older, but babied. not a scratch on it.

I guess I'm gonna have to give this gun a shake down and see if something is rattled.

So, you guy's are telling me if the barrel is shot out, I'd know it. It'd look bad.

lunicy
03-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Boolits tried as dropped (didn't mic), sized to .356, sized to .357
None of them leaded much if at all.

klcarroll
03-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, ....I'm not a Beretta mechanic: .....But if it was a 1911, ...I'd be thinking that the barrel was not returning to the same "battery position" after each shot: ......And I'd be checking out the barrel/bushing/slide relationship!

Kent

lunicy
03-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Is there supposed to be any play in the barrel while in battery?

EMC45
03-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I had a Beretta 92 as well. I just "had" to have it. This thing was the worst shooting gun I ever had!!! I shot factory, handloads (cast and jacketed). I shot them hot and mild enough to just function the slide. My gun was like new in box with papers and 2 mags when I got it. I clean and maintain my guns meticulously. This gun was a freakin' lemon. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who had this problem. I even called Jarvis and was gonna have them fit a new barrel to the frame. I now have a 9MM Hi Power. That is my 3rd one. I will never buy another 9MM but a HP Browning.

HeavyMetal
03-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Barrel "slop" is a problem with Beretta 92's Millett actually makes a sight set up that puts pressure on the barrel with adjustable set screws. This will fix the return to same point issue but they are uglier than a warthog with a hangover!

You must also use both front and rear sights from the set to make it work. Real ugly.

I have a Tauras 99, same gun before the M9 contract demanded a change in the safety, but I fitted a Bar-Sto 6 inch barrel to it soon after I bought it so can't tell you what the factory barrel shot like, sorry.

These guns can shoot but I think yours is a lock up issue, either in the bolt itself ( under the barrel) these do not have any lock up in front and a properly fitted breech block ( bolt) is a must. This is way the Millett front site "works" it removes the excess slop.

What I'd do:
Check barrel / slug bore some furrin 9mm's are way large.
Price the current Millett sight system and see if I could swallow the ugly factor.
sell it and buy a CZ 75 / 85 and fit a Bar-Sto to that!

Wish I could be more help.

EMC45
03-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Buy a Hi Power.

MtGun44
03-08-2009, 04:18 AM
You need to say the Brand, I was thinking Win 92, even tho in pistol area.

:-D

Try .358 lead, most Euro 9mms need .357 or .358 to not lead and shoot well.
Try, IIRC, 5.5 Unique (traveling, no manual - you MUST verify that this is
safe as it is from my leaky memory). Please take no offense, but how well
can you shoot? I have many friends that can never best 4" @ 25 with any
pistol.

Boolit diameter is most likely, but try some known good ammo like Fed
FMJ and see what they do. Euro 9s always need lg diam lead; many will tumble
comm cast .355s; lg bore, shallow rifling intended for jacketed only.

Bill

shotman
03-08-2009, 04:48 AM
4in is good with that that is NOT a target gun

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2009, 05:50 AM
Id try sizing as big as the gun will run and cast them out of an alloy at least 15bhn to start with. take your time loading as its easy with a 9 to seat bullets a bit tilted and not realize it. One bullet in the 9s that has shined better then others for me is the rcbs 120 round nose or the 115 version. As was said to keep in mind you dont have a target gun there but id think you should be able to get groups around 2 inch out of it with some experimenting with powders and primers. Another thing that makes a differnce in a 9 more then other pistols is cases. there so small to start with that variations in cases can lead to innacuracy. My 9mm match gun is about the only gun that gets brass serperated by head stamp and weight.

lunicy
03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
You need to say the Brand, I was thinking Win 92, even tho in pistol area.

:-D
Please take no offense, but how well
can you shoot? I have many friends that can never best 4" @ 25 with any
pistol.

None taken. I shoot well with revolvers and semi's. I shoot my ruger (1911) considerably better than 4" @ 25' and it's ragged.

I was shooting the 9mm from a rest too. Trying to take out the human aspect altogether. I get the gun shooting well first, then get me well enough to shoot it :)

If I shoot an oversized boolit (.358) what is my worst case. I don't want to bulge the barrel, or worse, but If the worst thing that'll happen is leading, or a stuck boolit, I can live with that.

Boerrancher
03-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I have never had an M9 or M92 what ever you wish to call them shoot well for me. For years I carried an old Remington Rand 1911 that was issued to me, and it shot like a dream. Then came the day we had to turn over all of our 1911's and pick up the M9. Never held a poorer shooting handgun that that in my life. Several years later took on to the Desert, in less than 2 weeks I gave it to my unit clerk and started carrying an M16A2 after the Beretta nearly got me killed because it couldn't handle 5 hours of riding in a vehicle in a holster fastened to the chest of my body armour. I will never buy a product made by Beretta because if I can't trust a firearm with my life then it is not worth owning. Take the above advice and buy a Hi-Power.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mag_01
03-08-2009, 08:54 PM
agree with MtGun44 my taurus is fed 125grs. at 358 dia.

MtGun44
03-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Zero possibility of damage with normal powder charge and .360" lead boolit,
if it will chamber, let alone .358. Try .358, then .359 if you can get them, and if
they will chamber. Load a dummy round w/o powder & primer and test lg
diam boolits in DISMOUNTED bbl. Should be light-moderate thumb pressure at
most to fully seat in chamber.

Needing oversized lead boolits is essentially std in Euro 9s. You'll never get a stuck
boolit with normal powder charges

Of course, bbl slop in the front of the slide can be an issue. 1911 design with
replacable bushing is a nice feature. Wonder if a shallow groove machined inthe bbl
under the 'bushing' (non) position and fitted with a tiny cross section silicon O-ring
would work? Some H&Ks use this idea to improve accy.

Bill

wv109323
03-11-2009, 10:34 PM
There is slop designed into the the front fit of the barrel for reliability reasons. These guns are ammo sensitive, and bullet weight / configuration senitive . Most people recommend the Black Hills ammo.
Also the rate of twist of the barrel is not right for most ammo.

Silicon Wolverine
03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
i had a beretta 9000S (92s retarded sibling) and i had to load it HOT to get proper accuracy wth any kind of bullet, cast or jacketed. try a bigger bullet first and if that doesnt cure your problems, try up loading a ways. i ran my 9000 with chrages right at the limit of standard loads and some into +P+ territory to get good groups.

SW