PDA

View Full Version : are these alloys close??

hiram
03-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Would a mix of 20# range lead:1# lino be close to 20# lead:1.5# lino? I am looking to be able to have a supply of the same alloy and I want to keep things simple.

Jon K
03-07-2009, 03:30 AM
hiram,

Range lead is a crap shoot..........how do you know what the next guy is shooting? At very best, it will never be the same twice.

Jon

catkiller45
03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I have to agree with what he said above........I have been using 50-50 of wheel weight and soft lead which is pretty close to 20 to 1 but is is not consistent

missionary5155
03-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Good morning
There is nothing magical about 20-1. 30-1 or 40-1 may shoot just as good. You need to try them in your rifle. My 45-70 Pedersoli Roller and my 43 Spanish Roller are 2 different beasts.
If you are hoping to shoot the BIG BPCR Matches and WIN you are going to have to do EVERYTHING exact. No variences alloyed. Me I would plan on mixing up 300 lbs of whatever mix my rifle shot best and use that for matches ONLY. I would also mix up other 300 lb batches for practice but trying to do it all the same way; same ingredients. With 300 lb batches you can get roughly 1200 boolits = and work up your load for that batch. If the boolits weight the same (EXACT) between batches they just may shoot exact... but 500 yards is the ONLY way to know for sure. If from one batch to the next the boolits differ you just need to re-establish that SWEET load your rifle likes. There just are no shortcuts to WIN.
BUT why 300 pounds ? When I take out my roller to practice I take 100 rounds. A match may only be 80 or 60 or whatever... I want to be better than a match. So in one week I can go through 200 rounds ($$$) plus a match. But then IF I want to WIN I will just have to pay the price. If possible do your shooting in a place where you can reclame your lead and reuse it. Set up your own "special target stand in a special spot" and remove it when done. Then your lead will not be mixed with others.
The BIG Winners shoot this much + .... until it becomes as natural as lifting a fork.... but then I still goober up my shirt off and on.
God Bless you

montana_charlie
03-07-2009, 12:56 PM
If you can find a combination of scrap materials that will produce a mixture which tests at 7.8 BHN you will have an alloy that is 'close' to (certified) 20-1. How stable it is (over time) and how repeatable it is are the unknowns.
CM

Kraschenbirn
03-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I'd say you need to hardness test your range scrap. What you've got could be pretty darn close to what you're looking for. The stuff I've been salvaging from a "handgun only" berm, smelted and fluxed in 30# batches, runs around 8 to 8.2 BHN.

Bill