PDA

View Full Version : Testing Swedish Mauser

Doug Bowser
03-06-2009, 10:46 PM
I talked a friend into buying a reall nice Model 96B Swedish Mauser. It was made at Carl Gustav City Rifle Factory in 1916. The bore is marked a 2 and 6.50mm Overslag is 0.

The headspace is optimum and the bore is near perfect.

When writing my book on Swedish Military Rifles I experimented with loads that would adjust the high zero for the infantry rifle without installing a taller front sight.

The loads I came up with were:

140 gr Hornady spitzer flat base bullet with 40 gr IMR 4831 and a CCI primer

The load is approximately 2100 fps and with the sights set at 300 meters it is approximately 2" high at 100 yards. That should make a center zero at 200 yards.

The first target is 5 shots at 100 yards. The shot circled is out of a lightly oiled barrel. It went high. The remaining 4 shots are in 1.6".

The second target is where I tried to adjust the front sight for windage. It is too bad I did not have a Kornscruv M1943, it would have made adjusting the sight easier. The first shot is to the right of the black, the next 2 shots after moving the sight are in 5/8", just to the left of the single round. The sight was moved again and moved too far. 10 o'Clock, 2 shots in 3/4". The last 2 shots are at 12 o"clock and in 1"

The last target is 5 shots holding a line of white. It shot in the center but by taht time my eyes were fatigued and I did not perform as well. All shot were at 100 yards off double sand bags at 100 yards.

RGRWJB
03-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice shooting Doug!