PDA

View Full Version : Glad to be a Horder

Sprue
03-06-2009, 10:22 PM
It just might be a little on the lonely side at the range this year if you haven't been the least bit greedy. But I've been buying a little of this, that and the other over the past months....

If you don't like this post for whatever reason, sorry. But I travel every day cris-crossing the state on a weekly basis. Theres just no pirmers and the likes available. Call or say what you want. I'm prepared, ready to enjoy the season to come.

So if it turns out as if I'm the maytag man at the range, hey. (I usually have the grill and a dog or two with me. I'll share my food )

But the reason for the Post is that the wifey came up to me earlier asking what thing(s) I needed for shooting. I knew what she was up to. She was making a list of a few items that I could use. (she's making perparations for Easter, I know whats she's up to). Anyway she just got home a short while ago and she says " theres not a thing on your list available at the fun store". I said yeah I know.

Little does she know... I've been hording, but I do have room for anyting that she DOES come up with.

Here's a picture of last years Easter Gunny

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/EasterGunny2008.jpg

tarbe
03-06-2009, 10:48 PM
What a keeper!

I need to show this to my wife.

I am with you Sprue. I am glad to have a little stash right about now!

Tim

beagle
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Amen on the stash...../beagle

jhrosier
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
It's hoarding if you are buying amounts wildly in excess of your needs to resell at a profit.
Otherwise, it is simply being prepared.
We don't view folks who put up extra food or fuel for emergencies as hoarders.
Why should it be different for ammo or components?

Jack

mauser1959
03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Last week my local fun shop had 5 boxes of WSP primers, but I think that they are a bit pricey at $30 per thousand. I might have to break down and still buy a box or two, hopefully this insane shortage will end soon. The local fun shop had no WLRP or WSMP primers, I am just glad that I do not reload for my long guns... yet.

waco
03-07-2009, 12:41 AM
good for you sprue
i just grabbed the last 1k Win LPP, 2#titegroug, and 1#231 from my local bi-mart
get it while the gettin is there!
waco:Fire:
:drinks:

Slow Elk 45/70
03-07-2009, 05:32 AM
:Fire:Spru, good for you , nice to have a well meaning bunny around.

As for hording, I don't know about the rest of you guy's , but I don't have the money to buy in any quantities that would be considered Hording, even if you could find the components to buy.

I do have enough to keep me going for quite a while, if necessary. It is always better to have and not need than to need and not have.[smilie=1:

Considering the political turmoil we are experiencing at this time, I will be forearmed, because I have been forewarned.

:redneck::cbpour:

lathesmith
03-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I guess to some folks a well-stocked pantry is "hoarding", but to me it's just good sense and management. See Matthew ch 25, there is a nice story there about a wedding, virgins with lamps, oil for those lamps, and being prepared. Darn good advice, I always thought. Lamps aren't much good without fuel, and firearms aren't, either.
As for reloading components and 22's, the local Bass Pro has plenty of both, if only a shade pricey. The local Walmarts don't have any 22's by the brick, and are a little short on a few other popular centerfire calibers. That's not unusual for this time of year though, so I'm not really worried about this.
Take good care of that Easter Bunny there Sprue, reloading components will come around again but a good Easter Bunny would be a lot harder and take a lot longer to replace.
lathesmith

leadeye
03-07-2009, 03:25 PM
That's a good easter bunny you have there.:-D

mpmarty
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Two years ago I decided to retire 1/1/2009 and so began buying primers and powder in large quantities. 50,000 mixed primers and a hundred pounds of H335, Varget, BLC2, RedDot, Power Pistol and as much H870 as I could find (not much). I was not feeling like Obama or his ilk would take the white house this last fall but as it works out I got very lucky.

C1PNR
03-07-2009, 05:52 PM
If I'm short anything, it's primers. I do have a couple thousand of most that I use, but my Mag Pistol, large and small, number in the hundreds. I really need the current conditions to change if I'm going to be able to stock up.:roll:

I'm short on WW lead, too, and the local recycler wants $1.35 lb for them.:takinWiz:

I'll get by, but things do need to "change" sooner rather than later.

targetshootr
03-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I use 10,000 primers and 8lb powder every 12-18 months. If I felt the need to hoard I would but I don't see it. It's like Y2K, much ado about nothing.

ebner glocken
03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
I guess to some folks a well-stocked pantry is "hoarding", but to me it's just good sense and management. See Matthew ch 25, there is a nice story there about a wedding, virgins with lamps, oil for those lamps, and being prepared. Darn good advice, I always thought. Lamps aren't much good without fuel, and firearms aren't, either.
As for reloading components and 22's, the local Bass Pro has plenty of both, if only a shade pricey. The local Walmarts don't have any 22's by the brick, and are a little short on a few other popular centerfire calibers. That's not unusual for this time of year though, so I'm not really worried about this.
Take good care of that Easter Bunny there Sprue, reloading components will come around again but a good Easter Bunny would be a lot harder and take a lot longer to replace.
lathesmith

I quit doing reloading componet business with BPS several years ago. Prices went too high and they really reduced the selection. Try Steve's out toward Nixa.

Ebner

tarbe
03-08-2009, 10:06 AM
If I'm short anything, it's primers.

Friends won't let friends run completely out of primers.

It's good to have friends.

lathesmith
03-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Ebner, I wasn't necessarily recommending BPS as a supplier, just using them as a large-store gauge when it comes to current stock of ammunition and reloading components. Yes, there are some good, reputable smaller guys around here that sell stuff, as long as they have it that is a fine way to go too.
lathesmith

swheeler
03-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Sprue; i don't think it is hoarding, just being prepared. For many years my family used to go through 10-15K primers a year. Right now I would think a four year supply would be prudent, and an 8 year supply would be better. Remember the Boy Scout motto?

lawboy
03-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Primers and powder, baby! Buy a lot and often! I have about 25k primers and 50-60lbs of powder. I am shaking with a bad case of the nerves because I consider my primer supply to be low. I go through 15k + every year, burn up about 500lbs of lead too. It ain't hoarding. It is making sure you can shoot!

Gunslinger
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
And here's why I hoard:

I bought 3 cans of H110 at the nearest (here we don't have local) gunshop. He said they had another 6, and then they were gone.... they can't import it anymore. Same with 2400... last 3 I bought was the only ones left in the country!! Apparently It has something to do with politics... you can get all the Vhitavouri powder you want! I don't wanna be stuck with so few powder options!! And besides.... Vv puts flame inhibiter in the powder!?!?!?! What's up with that :twisted:? I want muzzleflash and I f****** want it now!

If only their magnum powder was worth anything [smilie=b:

Sorry.... just needed to complain :-D

GWarden
03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm retired and work part time at a very large shooting supply warehouse in the midwest.
All the suppliers are many weeks behind in getting orders out. Win. told the boss there might not be any Win. primers for 2009. This is after he sent in a order a month ago for a million dollars of primers. Definitely more and more people are getting started in reloading.
GWarden