PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for casting (new to casting)

375RugerNo1
03-06-2009, 09:22 PM
I’ve been reloading for several years now and have slowly progressed towards shooting cast bullets. I can now access wheel weights with reasonable frequency at very low cost.

Thus being the case I am now interested in being able to cast my own bullets for my more expensive to shoot cartridges.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what equipment I will need to begin this process. I have read books about casting bullets but would like some real world advice on the equipment you would recommend to a newbie caster (as well as the brands).

I have no equipment for this new endeavor at present.

Thanks for your time
Pat

arcticbreeze
03-06-2009, 09:33 PM
I started out with a turkey fryer that I already had, a cast iron pot from Harbor Freight ($12), some stainless steel cooking utensils from wall mart (1 with hole for straining and a ladle)($8) for smelting wheel weights. I bought an ingot mold for about $12 but a lot of guys use muffin pans.
For casting I bought a lee 20lb bottom pour pot, I think it was about $65. I started with Lee 2 cavity mold them progressed to 6 cavity molds. You can get some alox and just tumble lube. I went with a Lyman 4500 sizer (probably my biggest startup cost).

I think thats it. Oh by the way welcome..

GP100man
03-06-2009, 09:36 PM

get a good pair of safety glasses
a steel pot of sorts
heat source
a ladle
mould ( a lee to start with until you find out if you like castin or not, but you will !!!!)

low bucks to get started.

GP100man

monadnock#5
03-06-2009, 09:48 PM
With all the choices in readily available equipment and tools on the market, the availability of good books on the subject and the knowledge and advise gleaned from the Board Members here, we can have you casting beautiful cast boolits in very short order. We (I) only need you to answer this question. How deep are your pockets?

We could get you casting in a couple of calibers for $150, for the bare bones starter setup. For the nicer stuff, in multiple calibers, the price goes up exponentially.

This is where the addiction begins. Welcome aboard!

Sprue
03-06-2009, 09:50 PM

Put your State or general area in your Profile. Theres probably someone near you. That way you just might be able to personally experience a live session, pick up some pointers and/or druthers. Hey, you're welcome to come visit me. I'ld be glad to show you what little I know. Shouldn't take long :-D

Happy Spring forward weekend !

Bret4207
03-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Pot, heat source, ladle and mould. That's all it takes. The Lee push through sizer is my #1 recommendation for boughten starter goods. Mule snot (Lee Liquid Alox) may not be the best lube, but for loads in the 1K-1400 fps area it usually works pretty well. Just make sure your barrel is clean to start with.

When you get into the more advanced stages I think you'll find nearly all the modern casting gear works very well. I have a variety of colors on my bench from the 1930's to 2009. All of it works well given a bit of time learning the ropes. The only things I would avoid are Lee ladles, older Lyman "H" dies that have the sharp step in them (they cut rather than size)....that's about it. I'm not a fan of Lee bottom pour pots, but a lot of guys love them.

Start with simple stuff like 800 fps pistol loads and 1200 fps rifle loads and go from there.

Three44s
03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I agree with all the above and want to re-emphasize the thought on Lee Liquid Alox.

You did not mention what calibers you are embaring upon for cast .......

..... however, with regards to revolver and low velocity rifle ......... I whole heartedly endorse LLA ..... and the Lee Tumble lube (micro grooved) bullets

..... in fact for revolver plinker rounds ....... I don't even size ........ just cast and LLA (& dry) and shoot

I do sort for defects but keep the so so rejects and blast dirt clods with them ......

AND where they are available ..... I run with the six cavity molds .....

....... just keep the aluminum Lee blocks a little better lubed than cast or steel molds and you will be fine!

If you fill out is just a bit off ...... run just a tad bit more heat OR like me ...... add about 1% tin to WW's

The Lee push through sizers are not expensive but I just wanted to illustrate how you can get casting for MINIMUM BUCKS ........

Welcome to casting if you proceed!!

Three 44s

375RugerNo1
03-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome to the casting community!!!
I am currently considering casting for my .45 Colt and my two .45-70s.

My .45 Colt is a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk Conv
The .45-70s are a Newer Ruger #1 (short throat ::sigh:: ) and a Marlin 1895 Cowboy

If anyone has any particular molds that worked well for them in those cartridges/firearms I would love to hear about them!

The basic understanding so far I’ve pulled out from the helpful feedback is that essentially the only thing I should really spend much money on (if at all) is the Lyman 4500 sizer/luber/GC seater …….and after watching some videos/reading some reviews I think I’ll wait on that as well!

I am still slightly confused as to why the Lee molds and sizer dies are .457 for the
.45-70 and not .459

Keep the thoughts coming!

Thanks again
pat

375RugerNo1
03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I guess I should say -Most of the lee molds- I've seen are that .457.......as well as the sizer die I have found is .457

Echo
03-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Regarding the lube/sizer - either the Lyman or the RCBS/Lachmiller will do well. They use the same dies. And you can find them on eBay for about half new retail price ($60-75). I have two RCBS's, one for 50/50, the other for hard lube (plus my Star).
And the beauty of the inexpensive, but good, Lee stuff, is that if you want to step up in quality, you can sell your old stuff and get some investment back.

Bret4207
03-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Lee ahs a nice little 350 gr 458 mould that should be the berries for a short throat 45/70. The RCBS 45-270 is reputed to be excellent in the 45 colt.The Lee sizer dies can be lapped out very easily to any diameter you want. I personally like the RCBS sizer better than the Lyman, but both work fine. I'd stick with used if I could.

Wayne Smith
03-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Check my post under Single Shot Rifles, I've found my load for my 45-70 Encore Katadin with the Gould HP - Lyman 457122. I size to .459 since my barrel measures .4575".

I'm still casting, after about 15 years, with a two burner Coleman propane stove and the Lyman cast iron pot. I still use the 1qt steel kitchen pot that I started with, it's got pure lead in it. I use the Lyman ladle but the RCBS is just as good. At a moment of inattention I have had 20lbs of ww up over 900 degrees with this rig. I also smelt in the same pot. It's slow, but I'm not a high volumn caster.

I have two lubesizers, one Lyman 450 and one RCBS. One has my pistol and BP lube, the other has Speed Green in it. I bought both off eBay. If you are handy you can make some of your accessories, or buy them cheap. I get welding gloves at NH Northern. Yes, I cast with gloves, but then I hold the Lee 2 cavity molds in my hand when I close them. I plan on them lasting!

You will need some way to lube, and that's why I bought lubesizers. Pan lubeing got old fast, although I still do it for some special occasions.

mooman76
03-07-2009, 07:07 PM
That's the great thing about casting. You can start out cheap and really keep it there if you want. The only real investment you can't get around is the moulds you will need.
Start off with a heat source, cheap cast iron pot and a ladle. You may already have some or all this or can make them up if you get creative. The safety gear you should already have available. Gloves, eye protection long sleeve shirt and so on. A cheap cast iron pot you can get ata garage sale or thrift store. Coleman stove, turkey frier or kitchen stove although I wouldn't recomend smelting on the kitchen stove, too dirty. Some don't like the kitchen stove period but that's up to each individual.
After awhile you can get the other things if you want like an electric pot of whatever. Goodluck and start getting those WWs.

375RugerNo1
03-09-2009, 08:37 AM
I thought about what everyone had said and I decided to go with a nice cast iron pot and pan lubing and lee sizing dies (that way I don’t have to dump a chunk of change on it just yet). I was told to start simple with reloading, I did and it went well…..of course I ended up later on with some nicer things like prep centers etc. once I understood it all a bit more.
I read that if you cast primarily with wheel weights that the bullets tend to be .001-.002 larger than the die’s stated dimensions. So I held off on the weird Lee .457 sizer die in hopes that their .457 molds would cast a bit larger with wheel weights!

Here is a list of the dies and supplies I just ordered. I’m open for suggestions (I went with lee due to the fact that they were a bit cheaper than the rest and supposedly produce just fine.
We will be using a propane burner for our heat source. Is that enough heat? I thought so but some of my friends were skeptical.
We are planning on making our own lube comprised of
1lb Refined beewax
1lb vasoline (no substitutes)
1lb parafin wax
1tbs STP oil treatment
2 crayons red (I think I’ll use blue or green

Does anyone know a good cheap source of bee wax because good lord that crap is a bit expensive! I guess Bees do work hard! (I also included some alox my order because I was very curious about it)

As always any and all suggestions , thoughts etc are welcome
Thank you for your time and knowledge
Pat

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 457-450-F 45-70 Government (457 Diameter) 450 Grain Flat Nose

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 457-340-F (457 Diameter) 340 Grain Flat Nose

Lee 1-Cavity Bullet Mold 459-405-HB 45-70 Government (459 Diameter) 405 Grain Flat Nose Hollow Base

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-255-RF 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Colt (Long Colt) (452 Diameter) 255 Grain Flat Nose

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 457-405-F (457 Diameter) 405 Grain Flat Nose

--Lee Lube and Size Kit 452 Diameter
---Lee Alox Bullet Lube 4 oz Liquid
---RCBS Lead Pot
----Frankford Arsenal CleanCast Lead Fluxing Compound 1 lb

375RugerNo1
03-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm also in the process of finding a ladle and some ingot molds!

Ol'Scudder
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Welcome Pat.

If your 457 molds don't pan out for you, you might consider checking out Ranch Dog's Molds - designed specifically for 45/70 and 450Marlin lever-action Marlin rifles. He currently has a TLC460-425-RF 2 cavity in stock - and also sells the 460 Lee custom push-thru sizer, although the sizer is out of stock.

http://ranchdogmolds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21

The Antimony Man sells a good ladle - i have a #1 and like it.

http://www.theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm

Best of luck to ya.
stan

rockrat
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I would delete the Lee HB mould and maybe the 405 or the 450 and get one of Ranch Dogs Moulds. He might have a Lee push thru die in .460" that you can use to size (My Lee 340 drops at .461") and seat the gas checks if you plan on pushing the boolits over 1600 fps. If not, then you might not need the GC's, but the Ranch Dog moulds do shoot. Depends on what weight boolit you want to shoot, the heavier ones or the mid-weight. The Lee alox might work for everything you want to do. I noticed that RD is out of the .460" sizer, then contact "Buckshot" as he makes custom ones and might have one in stock that you can buy from him. His work is top notch. If any gun shows next to you, you might find an old Saeco or Lyman pot to cast with. I got one for $40 a year ago.
Welcome to the zoo!!

Old Ironsights
03-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm also in the process of finding a ladle and some ingot molds!

Here's an "on the cheap" way to do it... though it's slower than using a gas cooker... it's also better than gas for indoor use. (sorry, cellphone pic - no flash)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMAG0068.jpg

I needed to tidy up some gnarly ingots that wouldn't stack, so I broke out the 1000w $10 hotplate and whanged-up steel pot.

It takes it a good while to do (about an hour) but it WILL get 60lbs of lead up to 700deg.

The RCBS "lead pot" sitting on the melt is getting nice and warmed up for use as a ladle (holds 6#, pours 4 1# ingots nicely)

Did about 180# this way on Sunday.

beanflip
03-09-2009, 02:32 PM
if it works its a good thing...:castmine:

Dale53
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
One thing that I might suggest for your consideration:

Buy right and only buy once. Keep that in mind.

A good turkey fryer will cost you in the neighborhood of $40.00. A six quart cast iron dutch oven from Harbor Freight runs about $25.00. I with a bit of help from my brother smelted 650 lbs in half a day with that set up. You can smelt what ever you want, no matter how your needs grow:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=46475

The best buy in electric lead pots (for casting only) is the Lee Pro 4-20. I am a dedicated bottom pour man. Many here are "dipper people".

Lee Six cavity moulds are far better than the two cavities for just a small difference in price.

Ranch Dog sells moulds for the 45/70 Marlin that can also be used in your Ruger. These are custom sizes and cost some more than the factory Lee's but cast at the proper size for the Marlin. He also sells the proper custom sizing dies (Lee) for these bullets. His web site has a world of information. I think that you will like the 350 gr 45/70 bullet for both the Ruger and the Marlin:

http://www.ranchdogmolds.com/

Spend a little time with the Ranch Dog site - it'll pay off for you.

Dale53

Slow Elk 45/70
03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Hullo 375, Glad to see you getting started, you have gotten lots of good information and suggestions from the guys , so I don't have a lot to add.

The RD molds in 45/70 are great. You would probably save a few $ if you start with one of them and then take a look around if you don't like it. The 425 is in stock and will work in both of your BFR's, lever & single shot. Like the man says check out the site, he has the profiles of the boolits and loading info on the site.

If you really want to shoot a longer, heavier boolit in the Ruger, it is no biggie to have a gunsmith ream the throat a bit for what ever you want, should not cast that much, find one that has the reamer first.

Remember to "Have Fun" , good luck casting and shooting CB's
:cbpour: :redneck: :Fire: :Fire:

375RugerNo1
03-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Thanks again for everyone’s advice!! I will be looking into RD molds for sure.

I was curious as to what kind of BTU I would want out of a propane burner in order to melt lead in the 10lb RCBS lead pot. I’m not quite sure what the dimensions of the base are but I was hoping someone here might.

I’m pretty sure we can get around 9-11,000 BTU out of the burner.
We’re trying not to have to spend some extra cash on a nice turkey frying setup though they do look pretty functional and pretty reasonably priced.

Should be here wed (the 11th), incidentally I’ve been scrounging lead from tire stores for friends for a while now and when I finally decide to start casting all the normal places are flat out of it haha. Ah well I’m sure more people will need car service soon enough!!

Thanks
Pat

Bret4207
03-10-2009, 07:10 AM
I thought about what everyone had said and I decided to go with a nice cast iron pot and pan lubing and lee sizing dies (that way I don’t have to dump a chunk of change on it just yet). I was told to start simple with reloading, I did and it went well…..of course I ended up later on with some nicer things like prep centers etc. once I understood it all a bit more.
I read that if you cast primarily with wheel weights that the bullets tend to be .001-.002 larger than the die’s stated dimensions. So I held off on the weird Lee .457 sizer die in hopes that their .457 molds would cast a bit larger with wheel weights!

I don't know where you read that, but I can't say I agree. In fact, I'd say it's just wrong. Each alloy and each mould using that alloy will cast a different size and I've yet to find a mould that throws the exact size it's "supposed" to. Some are close, very close, but just because you buy a mould marketed to be a .458 mould doesn't mean you'll get .4580 boolits. You might get .4562 or .4625 and your buddy might get something halfway between with his alloy. IOW- it's a crap shoot and your can only hope you get one that's "bigger" than you need. Buying a mould you think will be .362 and only getting .3582 can be disappointing, especially if you want to use a soft alloy. Harder alloys with more tin tend to cast a little bigger, but I hate using expensive tin to do it.

375RugerNo1
03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Well the supplies came in today!! BOY that RCBS pot is TINYYYYY heh well I suppose it's fine for now. I wish I could find a nice cheap cast pot locally but everyone seems to want 30-50$ for them.

We're gonna lite it up this evening and see what we can do!

I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out how.

Pat

PS-Bret-thanks for your insight!!! I'll have to keep that one in mind.

375RugerNo1
03-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Well the RCBS pot was reallllly small. We ended up melting down what probably amounted to 30lbs of lead (after the clips were removed).

We were using the frankford arsenal flux compound. Sometimes it would burn once we stirred it in and sometimes it wouldn't.... Normal??

Sometimes we would get malformed bullet nose/bands (you can see it in the pictures below I am hoping to post) I was thinking it was because the mold wasn't quite hot enough yet?

We noticed the bullets seemed to improve after about 5 or 6 casts.

We also noticed that sometimes when you knocked the sprue plate (spelling?)that the edges of the bullet would be rounded as though the mold didn't fill up all the way?? The bullets that formed like this wouldn't have a nice circular/flat base. They would have rounded edges.
pouring too slow?

We skimmed the cruddy looking material off the top of the molten lead until it would only form a kind of dull lead color and then we would flux it....remove the crap that that produced and then poured after that. We were thinking that the thin leadish looking scum was goodness and should be stirred in. Were we correct in this?

aside from technique we decided that
A-we needed a larger pot
B-we needed more daylight
C-we needed WAY MORE LEAD!

375RugerNo1
03-11-2009, 10:46 PM
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/6/l_24806a6380c34723be061e3351260bd3.jpg

375RugerNo1
03-11-2009, 10:48 PM
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/6/l_9ef44ff4ce854c56a5908b079068957b.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/9/l_8388585ca94e4e56ab8ecbc2c3b20045.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/28/l_572cb30ba37840ba9451d3f65e556a97.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/48/l_d99b1b5c494e48f7ac46ee308b113a79.jpg

375RugerNo1
03-11-2009, 10:49 PM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/29/l_444775f492bf469dbe87d30e7eb63575.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/31/l_1b02e3d8b3cc40659e95c5a4fc54d08a.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/8/l_dd8ea022346d4b2e94ddb2aaac4aa129.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/50/l_c90d60638d2244b482bf2f01703db473.jpg

375RugerNo1
03-11-2009, 10:50 PM
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/5/l_babfa20efb514f42aee92a992af71c78.jpg

375RugerNo1
03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Also the molds seemed to cast everything a bit large...which as bret stated..is better than too small! Do marlins seem to prefer .459 or a bit bigger?? I've got a 1895 Cowboy.

Dale53
03-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Marlins can very a bit in their bullet size preferences, just like other rifles. However, Ranch Dog has experience with LOTS of Marlins and I believe that he'll tell you to size .460". My Marlin shoots very well (1.5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards) using the Lee 340 gr bullet as cast.

However, I have purchased a six cavity Lee mould from Ranch Dog for his custom 350 gr bullets for my Marlin. I have had serious vision problems the past seven or eight months and haven't been able to shoot rifles. However, the vision seems to be coming back and I believe that I'll be able to add rifle shooting to my current pistol shooting shortly. If it does happen, I have a raft of bullets cast for my Ruger #3 and my Marlin 1895 to try.

Dale53

375RugerNo1
03-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks Dale!......

I'm still miffed at myself for purchasing the RCBS pot....I'm gonna have to stop by harbor freight

Dale53
03-12-2009, 12:55 AM
The RCBS pot is what it is. A small pot for people who have "not yet committed". I used a small Lyman cast iron pot for years before I got enough money together to get a bottom pour pot. I started out as a "unpecunious" (didn't have any money either:mrgreen:) teen ager and knew NO ONE who reloaded and cast bullets. I learned everything from Keith's little blue book (Six Gun Cartridges and Loads). I was lucky as Keith's little book was and is a FINE volume of GOOD information. He started me out the right way and I never got discouraged - Keith blazed the trail and I followed.

I DO like my Harbor Freight Cast Iron Dutch oven for smelting. I use a couple of RCBS bottom pour pots for casting. I started out dipper casting and converted to bottom pour a LONG time ago for all of my bullets, even my BPCR bullets.

Dale53

Slow Elk 45/70
03-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Hullo 375, looks like ya been busy...good for you...and yea you could use a real pot for your smelting....lots of work with the little one you have.

I can only speak for my Marlins, they like the .460 size, I used .459 also, but I will stay with the .460 , if it works why change. If you get Ranch Dogs molds to go with your Marlin, I'm betting you will be happy with them, if not let me know and I will trade Lyman or buy them from you. That is how much I think they are worth.

Looks like most of the boolits are coming out ok, a few culls in the pics, to be expected, did you scrub your molds good before you started? and maybe a little smoking after?

What hardness are you looking for? Heat Treating or No? Water quench? There are lots of threads here that will give you good info on all of these subjects.

Your Marlin Cowboy is a nice rifle, and I hope you find a good boolit/load to feed it.
Good Luck

:redneck::lovebooli

375RugerNo1
03-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Dale--Why pour instead of ladle? For time's sake? I thought that the general consensus was that ladling produced better results? What are your thoughts on that.

Slow Elk-Honestly I have access to wheel weights (not millions of lbs but enough for now) and read all over how people used them to cast with. So wheel weights it was..........as for quenching I am using the water quench.

I've gleaned that wheel weights plus water quench=nice hard results.
I don't have a hardness tester yet not really sure which one would be best. They all seem nice and $$ and I think I'd like a bigger pot first :)

Suggestions anyone?

375RugerNo1
03-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh.....also I think I probably enjoy making these more than I will shooting them....what fun...Me and my bud have never done this before so when he was casting I was telling him what to avoid that I had done wrong (just minutes earlier) and vice versa

My infamous ladel
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/23/l_26ee77ce0169446c94305a06e3820606.jpg

Dale53
03-12-2009, 11:50 AM
>>>Dale--Why pour instead of ladle?<<<

It's actually quite simple. It is MUCH more efficient. I'll match my bullets up with anyone's for match quality. I have won matches to prove it. I have been competitive over the years in Big Bore Rifle, NRA Pistol, IPSC pistol, Schuetzen Rifle, BPCR and have successfully taken several deer with my handguns and cast bullets.

Some claim they can't get good bullets bottom pour. I believe them, however, I took the time to learn how to get excellent results with bottom pour whether doing .22 Caliber bullets or 540 gr bullets for 45/90. I even cast commercially for a time and have had rave reviews on the bullets (tough way to make money, casting bullets by hand, but I could sell all I could cast). I cite this not to brag, but to point out that it can be done and EASILY!

I guess what it boils down to is we have bottom pour people and dipper people. There is NO difference in obtainable quality but there is a significant difference in quantity in favor of bottom pour. I am a "Certified Old Fart" and don't produce the quantity that I was able to do once, but I can demonstrate a speed of 750 MATCH QUALITY pistol bullets in less than two hours using a four cavity mould (.45 Caliber 200 gr SWC). People who have seen me shoot will testify to the accuracy obtainable with my bullets.

I believe that most anyone can learn to bottom pour, it just apparently takes more time to learn than most are willing to give.

Like most everyone else, I started out very low budget with a ten pound Lyman cast iron pot on the kitchen range with a dipper. My first bottom pour was a Lyman 11 pound electric pot and I cast tens of thousands of bullets with it. It didn't take me long to make real progress with the bottom pour. Then I progressed to the RCBS and had excellent results with it, also. It's really not that hard, folks. I have several buddies that are casting bottom pour with excellent results, also.

Dale53

BruceB
03-12-2009, 12:45 PM
You'n me, Dale.

My casting STARTED with a ladle, which lasted maybe a couple of months. I then got a SAECO bottom-pour pot and never looked back. I equate the arrival of the bottom-pour pot as equal in importance to the arrival of my Lyman All-American turret press about the same time (1970?).

The two new machines made an unbelievable difference, to the extent that I haven't used a ladle since then, and I recently removed my single-stage Rockchucker from my bench because it's just a dust-collector. I left its tie-down points for the RARE occasions that might merit its temporary return. Getting away from ladles and single-stage presses amounted to a revolution in my personal handloading career.

Like Dale, I'm VERY happy with the quality of the bullets I cast. I'm not in competition, and if I were perhaps I'd weigh bullets for that purpose. As it is, I find more flaws by observation than I would by weighing, and the flaws are damned few. Production rate is important to me, but only if I don't need to work any harder. By refining my bottom-pour methods, it's not in the least difficult to cast over 500 GOOD bullets (tiny weight and dimensional variations) per hour with a single TWO-cavity mould. I believe that ladle-casting produces a prettier bullet, but that's completely immaterial to me.

Why bottom pour??? 'Cuz it WORKS BETTER (for me).

375RugerNo1
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
It seems as though a flat bottomed pot would heat more evenly than a round bottom? My friend has a large roundish bottomed cast iron pot that he was thinking we could use but it has a roundish bottom.

any thoughts on that one?

Thanks
Pat

Dale53
03-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Ed Harris has stated that a round bottom is easier to empty when you are dipping. I am sure he is right. However, my 6 quart cast iron dutch oven from Harbor Freight is flat bottomed and I just dip down as far as I can go, tip it a bit and dip more, then pick it up and dispense the last inch or so directly. It's not really a problem at all, at all...

It'll hold 150 lbs or so.

Dale53

375RugerNo1
03-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Well we broke down and bought a Bayou Classic SQ14 ( http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SQ14-Single-Outdoor/dp/B0009JXYQ4 )

boy it puts out some fire

still working on a bigger pot though

Pat

monadnock#5
03-14-2009, 09:01 AM
375, you've taken to casting like a duck takes to water. Well done! One of the Grand Old Men on this Board (in other words, one whose opinion is rarely challenged), made the statement that below a certain grain weight, all his boolits were bottom poured. Above his weight limit, all boolits were ladle poured. So in other words, it's all good. Ladle pour, bottom pour or some of each, it all comes down to what works for you.

Keep up the good work, and keep having fun with it. You're doing just fine.

Horace
03-14-2009, 11:29 AM
May have missed it but a Casting Thermometer is a good tool to have in melting down scrap or ww. Have fun casting,Horace

Onlymenotu
03-14-2009, 12:13 PM
375ruger, this (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17545)link can make the LEE 2 bangers alot more fun to use if you read nothing else on this link read these 2 things
PERFECT ALIGNMENT (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=196059&postcount=18) & Drop Free Lapping -- non-size changing (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=196062&postcount=21)

375RugerNo1
04-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Well...........after dishing out some cash for a bigger pot and a turkey fryer burner...............we smelt 253lbs worth

153lbs of what appears to be lead pipe wrap??? or something like that....very soft
40lbs of lead pipe
60lbs of Wheel Weights
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/75/l_664b80b7549f4970bb9c09aa4767ae67.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/76/l_462ce0d960c048c480875fa2c75dd48f.jpg
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/103/l_2b3ca2fc20984c528645462033db780d.jpg

what fun...what smell!! We'd put it on and then run away....esp with the wheel weights.....

Junk yards appear to be reasonable places to find lead.......

Pat

375RugerNo1
04-05-2009, 09:47 AM
We also decided it would be nice to have some heavy duty molds as the cheapo cupcake molds we had were horrible.

Some nice heavy steel ones would be great.

Lead ingots are pretty

Pat

Dale53
04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Pat;
I had a good friend, who is a pro welder, make up three ingot moulds for me that will make 3 ingots each. These produce a 3½ lb ingot that works well with my RCBS pots. I also have a number of regular cast iron ingot moulds from RCBS, Lyman, and Saeco. I use them all when smelting. Here is a photo of the ingot mould. They are easy to make from 2" angle iron:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QIngotmoulds031.jpg

Here is a picture of some of the ingots I poured several days ago while smelting 650 lbs of bullet metal.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QWinter2009andleadsmelting-1778.jpg

Dale53

Bret4207
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
On the ladle vs the BP- I ladle cast for a couple decades before getting my first BP. It was a Lee Drip-o-matic. I made boolits with it, or at least I tried. I tried and tried and tried. In total I spent several hours over a couple weeks trying to get good boolits, to get the leaks to stop and to get the nozzle to stop freezing. Finally I blocked the nozzle and tried ladling with it and it still didn't work. I gave up and today it sits in a dark corner of a shelf somewhere. I hate it, period.

A couple weeks back I got not one, but 2 SAECO pots. Both needed work on the power cords and one has a bogered thermostat. But, even with the bad thermostat the small amount of casting I did seemed to show that these pots are such a step in quality above the garbage Lee's that I'm actually looking forward to trying them. I envision a double pot system with one above the other and both linkages hooked in tandem so my lower pot remains at a stable level. That may never happen, so for now I'll try a single pot and see if I can learn to love a BP.

I won't toss my ladle just yet. I know I can make great boolits with a ladle and by using a larger ladle I can fill 6 and 10 cavity moulds at a pretty brisk pace, piling up mounds and mounds of boolits. I also know that under no circumstances will my ladle decide to dump 6 or 7 lbs on alloy on the bench while I have my backed turned or decide to suddenly get constipated for no apparent reason.

Sometimes simple is best for simple guys like me, but I hope the BP SAECO works.