PDA

View Full Version : After 37 Years

StarMetal
03-06-2009, 07:28 PM
After 37 years I finally wore the spring out in my Belding & Mull powder measure. It was feeling rough lately so this evening I took it apart and found the spring in it had broken into three pieces. Luckily I have spring stock. Sure feels smooth now.

Joe

Bret4207
03-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm going to clip a coil or 2 on mine. It's a bit stout for what is needed I think. I sure do like the rig though. Very, very accurate and the powder charge scale in the old catalog is still right on for the powders listed.

StarMetal
03-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I totally rebuilt my Bret. For one that aluminum sliding block sure was the wrong material to use. It can gull and mine sure did. So I had a machine shop in town cut me a brass or bronze block. I fitted it to the cast iron housing, drilled and tapped the holes for those two steel bars on each end, drilled the powder holes, then ground out the cavity with my Dremel. Then I milled the part where the glass goes to seal that chamber, epoxied it in. It's very smooth now and now that I replaced that spring this evening with a less stout one it's nice. You're right the original spring must have been meant for a gorilla...way too stout. I also made me another powder tube on my lathe.

Joe

mikenbarb
03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Yep, I got a few of them and they all have real stiff springs and almost seems too stiff. I may change one out to a lighter tension spring to see if it changes the pressure and if it will still cut grains.