PDA

View Full Version : Home made magazines?

bpfh
03-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi,

I have an Armscor .22LR bolt action rifle, supplied with 1 magazine... and not living in the USA, I can't find a supplier over here in Europe for a couple of extra mags for love nor money (there are suppliers in the US but who do not ship abroad :evil:)

Has anyone tried making their own magazines? Success? Failure? Tips?

Cheers,
bpfh

trevj
03-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Register on the Homegunsmith.com forum, and take a look at some of the magazine projects there.

There is a separate sub-forum for magazines, plus there are a few projects that show up in other forums.

Set the properties of the forum to more than the default 1 month time frame, and you will se a lot more info.

Not rocket science. A couple press dies, a large vise, or a hydraulic or arbor press, and you are in business. The parts can be silver soldered, spot welded, or TIG welded together, or about any other process you can think to use.

The basic raw material is just mild steel sheet stock. Pretty cheap. Time and some tinkering. Mostly time.

Cheers
Trev

JSnover
03-06-2009, 07:08 PM
With some simple tools and time to experiment it should be a fun project. I think Guns & Ammo even ran a piece on making and tempering springs a few years ago.

bpfh
03-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Register on the Homegunsmith.com forum, and take a look at some of the magazine projects there.

There is a separate sub-forum for magazines, plus there are a few projects that show up in other forums.

Set the properties of the forum to more than the default 1 month time frame, and you will se a lot more info.

Not rocket science. A couple press dies, a large vise, or a hydraulic or arbor press, and you are in business. The parts can be silver soldered, spot welded, or TIG welded together, or about any other process you can think to use.

The basic raw material is just mild steel sheet stock. Pretty cheap. Time and some tinkering. Mostly time.

Cheers
Trev

Thanks for the tips and the link Trev. I'll go and sign up and instruct myself :)

bpfh
03-06-2009, 07:16 PM
With some simple tools and time to experiment it should be a fun project. I think Guns & Ammo even ran a piece on making and tempering springs a few years ago.

DIY springs.... that's somthing I hadn't thought about!

Bret4207
03-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Well, if you were to give the particulars maybe someone here could order a mag and ship it to you. Are the shipping restrictions just the companies protocol or is it an import restriction?