PDA

View Full Version : Powder Question

bbs70
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I shoot a New Vaquero in .45.
I use Lee 255 swc. and Lyman 454190 cast boolits.:castmine:
Most of my shooting is paper, wood blocks, and whatever else gets in my way at the range.[smilie=1:
No cowboy shooting.

I'm a believer in one accurate load for all occasions.
I'd like to get about 800 fps out of the round.

I've used 231, titegroup, and bullseye in various charges.
I've also used slower powders (Which I prefer) Unique, Universal, and VV N340.
It seems to me the slower powders are easier on my shooting hand, and are more accurate (at least with my old eyes):)
7g of Unique gave a sharp felt recoil where 7g of Universal was a little softer and cleaner burning and a little bit more accurate.
I used 6.6g of n340 which was a fairly accurate load, but at 640fps, not fast enough.
I haven't found much data on n340, so I don't know what the max is on it.

From what I've read Herco is just a tad slower than n340 and cheaper too.
I'm thinking that it would be better to have less air gap between the boolit and the powder.
I've heard of Trail Boss being fluffy to take up space, but the fps isn't what I want.

Would Herco be an accurate powder?
Any suggestions anyone?
Tell me what you use.

felix
03-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Herco is a fine powder for the 45 bore, and is quite ideal for what you should be looking for. Start at 9 grains, and prolly go as high as 11 grains, depending on your accuracy requirements at a predetermined range and ability of handling recoil. ... felix

targetshootr
03-06-2009, 11:09 AM
In large frame Rugers I settled on 8, 9, or 10 gr Universal for the same purpose with a 260k.

44man
03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
You would not like to shoot my Vaquero--(Old one.) :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Hardcast416taylor
03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I lay odds my old eyes are older than yours are. I`ve tried many different powders in my 2 Ruger Blackhawks in .45 LC. The powder that I decided on to get the job done was Red Dot powder. The factory load way back when was about 900 fps, I get that same velocity out of using 6.0 gr. of Red Dot. Recoil is pleasant accuracy is what your eyes and hands make it. The load is used for anything I cast over 230 gr. and stop at 260 gr. I`ve used about every new whiz bang type of lubes, factory and handmade. I favor Thompson`s Blue Angle and a similar homemade type that is similar. I trust only Winchester primers anymore. I lean to favoring Winchester brass also. I`ve used the Red Dot load for hunting deer and for killing a paper pie plate and hitting whatever else I aim at since the early 70`s, it won`t let you down.:drinks:Robert

bbs70
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
You would not like to shoot my Vaquero--(Old one.) :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Why would I want to shoot your Vaquero?
It ain't done nothin' to me.:mrgreen:

azrednek
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I agree with Felix. I've been using Herco for years. Started out using it back when supplies of Alcan AL-7 dried up. I started out using it in shotguns in the 70's. After I quit loading shotshells and having apx 4 lbs of Herco on hand I discovered how well it works in handguns. It is great for medium to heavy magnum loads from 9MM on up to 45. I wont recommend it for mild 9MM and 38 loads but everything else I've tried it with, it works just fine. Next to Bullseye, Herco is my favorite of all handgun powders.

bbs70
03-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Ok Gentlemen, you talked me into it.
I purchased a lb of Herco this afternoon and loaded up some boolits.
I'm going to the range in the morning to see what happens.

bbs70
03-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Well I went to the range.
I started with 8g of Herco and it shot great.
Recoil wasn't bad and accuracy was wonderful.
I was pleasently suprised.
Herco and Universal clays from now on.

When I got home I decided to load some more Herco in the remaining primed brass I had and noticed something.
I bought the Herco at Graff's in St. Charles, MO Friday along with a pound of Universal and some primers.
When I was loading the second batch of brass I noticed the manafacture date on the lb of Herco.
Feb 2007, it got me wondering.
1. Is it because not many people use Herco.
2. Are the manafacturer's clearing their warehouses of older powder.
3. With powder, primers, etc dissapearing off shelves at the rate I've been told about, then why is there a 1 lb container of powder on the shelf that is 2 years old?

RayinNH
03-08-2009, 10:23 AM
bbs, to answer your questions,
1. probably
2. I dont think so ,go back to question 1
3. you were lucky, go back to question 1

In all honesty I've only used 1# in about 38 years of reloading. I think people just get used to the usual powders, Bullseye, 231, Universal Clays etc...Ray

runfiverun
03-08-2009, 01:56 PM
i have been shooting herco in my 357 lately and went back to unique for my 45 acp.
but herco is on my list of great powders that a lot of people over look and aren't recommended fine with me, it makes good shotshells too.

unique
03-08-2009, 09:09 PM
For my Ruger NV in 45lc, I use 8.5gr unique with 255gr and get around 840fps...I think unique is better powder for 45lc as it tends to ignite easier in the large case and is some what fluffy. I tried Red dot but my NV didn't like it. I tried blue dot and the NV liked this and the velocities were a bit higher, 1070fps, but I consider this too much for regular use in the NV.

44man
03-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Why would I want to shoot your Vaquero?
It ain't done nothin' to me.:mrgreen:
It did to me though! :mrgreen: 335 and 342 gr boolits at 1167 fps forced me to buy Pachmeyer grips. Thunder on deer to 100 yd's. :Fire:
A lot of fun to bust cans with using a 255 gr boolit and 7 gr of Unique or 231, trouble is I go through the light loads so fast I can't keep any boolits stored or cast fast enough. :-?