PDA

View Full Version : Can pure Lead be hardend by water drop or heat treat?

turbo1889
03-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Casting muzzle loader minie ball and shotgun slugs from pure lead, getting darn tired of the rejects from dents from dropping the boolits out of the mold onto a soft cloth and they thunk down on another previously dropped boolit. So will water dropping them make them harder or not ??? Would eliminate the dented reject issue. Heat treating question is just curiosity, and it runs in the same vein of the primary question.

fishhawk
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
nope all it will do is just make your boolit wet. steve k

44man
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I put a big rag or towel down and drop boolits or balls on a clear spot and when they run low I pick up the front of the towel and slowly roll the boolits to the back to make more clear spots. As they build up in the back I start putting them in a box.
Water dropping pure lead will not cure dents.

OLPDon
03-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Water dropping is the way to go. I do it with RBs all the time, it speeds up casting and keeps them dent free. Place some of those packing peanut that you thought were only good for packaging about 3" on surface of water (5 gal bucket) that will stop all splashing of H2O. Now cast as fast or as slow as you like.
Don

oldoak2000
03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
water dropping is the way to go. I do it with rbs all the time, it speeds up casting and keeps them dent free. Place some of those packing peanut that you thought were only good for packaging about 3" on surface of water (5 gal bucket) that will stop all splashing of h2o. Now cast as fast or as slow as you like.
Don

+1 8-)

Shiloh
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Water dropping is the way to go. I do it with RBs all the time, it speeds up casting and keeps them dent free. Place some of those packing peanut that you thought were only good for packaging about 3" on surface of water (5 gal bucket) that will stop all splashing of H2O. Now cast as fast or as slow as you like.
Don

Good suggestion. Doe you get molten packing peanut goo on the boolits from the hot castings??

I put a towel over my bucket with a slit in it. Found the suggestion on the forum. THe boolits hit the towel and roll into the water.

Shiloh

turbo1889
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Okay, I'll water drop them without fear of hardening them from now on then. As far as preventing splash -- I've got a bunch of chopped up sponge chunks floating in the top of my 5-gal bucket. Since they are sponges they soak up the water and thus stay cool and don't leave sticky boogers on the boolits.

OLPDon
03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Good suggestion. Doe you get molten packing peanut goo on the boolits from the hot castings??

I put a towel over my bucket with a slit in it. Found the suggestion on the forum. THe boolits hit the towel and roll into the water.

Shiloh

Sometimes I do but it wipes off with ease. Not all packaging peanut are the same some just don't work well. I guess it"s what or how they are made I have had peanut foam that just melt too quickly and break down and make a mess the pretty colored ones don't work well at all the white foam peanut shape work with no problems.
Perhaps someone here would know more on why's but I water drop all my castings even the big 10 oz sinkers this way. Just put as many peanuts you need to keep the splashing down ie: more lead more peanuts if you are dropping a 224 less peanuts are needed.
Don

mooman76
03-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I drop mine on a big towel folded over. Maybe you need to let the lead harden another couple seconds before you drop.