PDA

View Full Version : home made core mold

BT Sniper
03-06-2009, 04:59 AM
Just finished a mold to make my cores with. Made it from some scrap iron left over from the bullet ejector project. I tried to copy the Lee 2 cavity molds. I must say that I have learned just because you can doesn't always mean you should. My 2 days could have been spent doing other things but I figured I would give it a try. For me once I start I have to finish it or it will bother me. Would have been easier to spend $30 on a new mold but now I don't have to ask the wife:-D.

It actually turned out pretty good and looks very similar to the Lee. Just bored it out with a 3/8" drill.

Going to make some bullets in the 225 and 200 grain weights for a 44 already have alot now at 250 grain.

Will post some pics soon,

Good shooting,

Brian

revolver junkie
03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
hye bt can you post some pics of said mould i am considering getting a 22lr jacket maker for223 and am thinking about making either a core mould or modifing a die to make an extruder for lead wire.

RJ

BT Sniper
03-12-2009, 03:18 AM
I sure will. I have been pretty busy working on new swaging projects lately. Will have a lot of pics to post soon.

The mold look almost exactly like a Lee 2 cavity mold just made from steel. I must say it bordered on the edge of my capibilities or available time. I'm sure there are simpler designs.

Don't know anything about extruding lead wire but there is alot of info on this sight about it.

As far as a mold goes....if I was in your shoes and could aford $30 for a lee AL mold you could possibly drill a hole in the size needed for your cores in the space between the boolit cavities already there. Then drill another hole in the sprue plate to pore the lead in. Maybe even drill from the bottom. I think I have seen both done before and the AL Lee molds are easy to customize.

Will get pics soon.

Brian

BT Sniper
03-15-2009, 04:01 AM
pics of my mold,

Do like the steel mold better than the AL mold so far. It seems to be less sensitive to heat/temp variations.

Just drilled the hole with 3/8 inch drill bit to make my cores for the 40 S&W jackets.

Cheshire Dave
03-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey BT Sniper,Nice looking core mould. I found a pic of a paper patch mold that would also work well for cores and with a little modification could use inserts so 1 body could make many different cores. It's also weight adjustable.Can't figure out how to attach here still kinda new here.PM me your email and I'll send you the pic. Well I guess I did figure it out..

BT Sniper
03-20-2009, 09:46 PM
An ejector pin and plug for a mold. Didn't think of that though I have thought about a deeper hole in the mold with different size inserts to adjust weights. I may have to try and make this pictured mold any one have anything like this?

Thanks for the ideas.

Brian

Lead pot
03-20-2009, 10:41 PM
1/8" wire solder works good for a core for the .22 jacket.
What ever you find for sale makes no diff.
Just core bond it.

elk hunter
03-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Brian,
Here's a paper patch bullet mould that I made that uses interchangable mould bodies and nose forms that would work as a core mould. I copied this from one made by Ross Seyfried that he wrote up in one of the shooting magazines a few years ago.

lead Foot
03-21-2009, 03:52 PM
That is a great idea It would make a good shot gun slug mould and easy to make.
lead Foot; :coffee:

Cheshire Dave
03-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I 'm sure Elk Hunter and I read the same artical from Ross ( sure miss him) the big difference is Elk Hunter followed through and made one. I'm impressed. Yes I'm sure it would make a good slug mould. I'd like to try that myself.