PDA

View Full Version : Turk Mauser article

Junior1942
02-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Guys, I finally finished the article about my Turk.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/m38.htm

Bodydoc447
02-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Great article, Junior! Makes me want to clean some of the cobwebs out of my Turk. I was shooting my K98 the other day and was surprised that it did as well as my Turk with a cobbled together load of Lee 323-175R over 27.5 grains of surplus 4895. No chrono, but if I set the rear sight on ~250 yards it would tear the black out of the target. Would be a very nice rabbit gun. I do love those surplus rifles!

Doc

Junior1942
02-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Doc. I'm looking forward to getting the pistol scope off my Turk and seeing what it will do with a real scope. With the #323471 at only 1700 fps muzzle velocity, it's a fine cast bullet deer load to 150 yards. Has 1100 fp+ retained energy at 150 yards.

KCSO
02-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Junior
Good Article

I made up a K Kale for my dad and it shoots that good too.

Bodydoc447
02-02-2006, 01:17 PM
I think I can drill and tap the receiver for a Weaver mount but don't have the stuff to bend a bolt to clear a receiver mounted scope. Does anyone have a place they recommend to send off a Turk bolt to have a new bent handle put on? I don't want to mail the whole gun just to get a bolt handle turned down.

Thanks,

Doc

Herb in Pa
02-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Well written article Junior.

Buckshot
02-03-2006, 02:39 AM
I think I can drill and tap the receiver for a Weaver mount but don't have the stuff to bend a bolt to clear a receiver mounted scope. Does anyone have a place they recommend to send off a Turk bolt to have a new bent handle put on? I don't want to mail the whole gun just to get a bolt handle turned down.

Thanks,

Doc

.............You could buy a bolt handle from GPC, Midway, or Brownells. Then cut your's off. Take the bolt and the new handle and try just holding them together to see about what your looking for. File the stub on the bolt to about the angle you want the new handle at.

Take it to a metal fab shop, welding shop, or even a muffler shop (they use MiG's). They probably won't need it but take along a set of vise-grips, just so you look prepared and serious. Have them weld the new handle on. You could probably also take the rifle along in the trunk for a quick doublecheck.

Most the guys working in places like that aren't gonna freak out seeing a rifle :-). The first one I ever did was for my brother's M38 Turk. Cut off the bolt handle and then heated it with a torch and beat the stem blacksmith style to thin it and make it longer. He had a Harbor Freight flux only MiG welder and we zapped it back on. Then spent 30 minutes or so with a Dremel to clean it up. Looked and worked good.

.....................Buckshot

Junior1942
02-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Buckshot, I'm thinking of doing the drill and solder a 1/4" bolt method shown here:

http://www.gswagner.com/bb/mauboltssolder/mauboltssolder.html

Any of y'all ever done it?

Bodydoc447
02-03-2006, 10:33 AM
I may just have to give that a try, too. Thanks for posting it, Junior.

Doc

Frank46
02-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Junior, I think that there is a kit out on the market already. Supposedly you cut off the origional handle, grind flat the section left on the bolt and then drill and tap the stub and then attach the new bolt handle with an allen socket head screw. Something quite similar to the moisin kits that come with the scope mounts. I looked at the site and would go with a bigger bolt, say 5/16" and a round ball for the handle. The method shown on wagner's page is definitely lo tech for sure but the bolt handle looks so darned skinny. Frank

StarMetal
02-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Frank,

There a kit on the market for the Mosian Nagant. It includes the scope mount too. Can't say I've seen one for the Mauser.

Joe

Junior1942
02-04-2006, 12:02 PM
>The method shown on wagner's page is definitely lo tech for sure but the bolt handle looks so darned skinny. Frank

I kinda like that skinny bolt. I wish I could find an 8-ball about 1" in diameter to epoxy on the end of the bolt. Ideas, anyone?

StarMetal
02-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Junior,

I think that handle is too skinny also. If you had a lathe you could use a thicker handle and then turn the end down to fit the hole you drilled in the stub. You'd have to clearance the receiver a bit more. If you like I could turn you one down.

Joe

Junior1942
02-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the kind offer, Joe. I'll keep it in mind when I start working on the rifle.

Frank46
02-05-2006, 02:48 AM
Joe, think one company sells a steyr scout type stock and you have to modify the bolt handle like I described to be able to use a scope. I kinda like the idea of just turning down the bolt at the point where it attaches to the origional bolt stub and the body section of the handle is bigger. But as you say you'd have to allow more clearance on the receiver and stock. Frank

StarMetal
02-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Frank,

You could also notch the bolt and that way you wouldn't have to make that relief notch in the receiver as deep.

Joe