PDA

View Full Version : .54 maxiball mould

gregbaker
03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows of a manufacturere that produces a mould that will replicate the .54 caliber, 430 grain maxiball sold by T/C.

Closest I have found so far is a .54, 425 grain maxi mould offered by NEI. The listed measurements for base & ogive are pretty close to what I miced on the maxis I have on hand, but their website does not have a photo. E-mailed them to see if it is indeed a match, but the answer was pretty vague. It's almost gotta be the one, but they're expensive enough that I'd want to know for sure.

Thanks!

JeffinNZ
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I know where there is a Lyman .54 Maxi mould for sale. I can put you onto the store.

jhrosier
03-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I've got an original just hangin' 'round the house.

http://images45.fotki.com/v1450/photos/5/590147/2786028/maximould-vi.jpg

No handles but it looks like the large Lymans will fit.
Cavity is perfect. There is a scrape on the top from the sprue plate. Looks like the scrape will not hurt casting. The alignment pins are a good fit.
I haven't used this mould in about 30 years, so I guess that it is available.

PM me if you are interested, there are a couple of other moulds that I could use in trade.

Jack

gregbaker
03-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen!

Jeff- Please do post or pm that to me. The Lyman's are definitely a match for the TC maxiball, unfortunately they don't make the .54 anymore (they do offer a .51 minie, but it's obviously a horse of a different color). Really appreciate the info!

Jack- Thanks, will send a pm.