PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Old Savage 23B

badgeredd
03-05-2009, 03:50 PM
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Picture015-1.jpg

I need to pick some brains here on my newest aquisition.

Last weekend SWMBO gave me permission [smilie=w: to buy a gun at the gunshow or wherever. Hornet and I went to a couple in search of things we absolutely HAD to have. Well knowing that I could legally (permission was given) buy a firearm for my enjoyment, I began the quest for something different. I kinda had decided I wanted a good single shot to play with. Well my buddy Hornet decided I needed to look at a Savage 23B (25-20) since I hadn't bought anything after almost 3 hours. Long story short, it followed me home.

It has good wood and has been reblued, very nicely I might add. The magazine cut-out has been filled and a benchrest type follower installed in the cartridge well. I has a nice trigger and also came with a Weaver K10 (that I have found needs a rebuild). It has a Redfield scope mount with Redfield rings.

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Picture016-1.jpg

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee338/badgeredd/Picture017-1.jpg

Now my problem:
I found that the headspace is a bit long, not dangerously long but brass will last longer if I correct it. I know I CAN have the handle root and the lug micro-welded and trim it in to take out most if not all of the excess. I really would prefer not to though.

I thought that perhaps one or more of you are familiar with the bolt assembly and could tell me if it is feasible to disassemble the bolt and shim the head forward the .010" that would bring the headspace in. The reason I know the headspace is a bit long, is that the primers on new Winchester ammo are sticking out about the .010" after firing.

I would appreciate any help you all could give me. I really want to play with my new toy!

Edd

NHlever
03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
You can try seating some jacketed bullets out to touch the rifling, and using some reduced loads to form the cases to fit your chamber. That will keep the case back against the bolt while the round is being fired. The other thing you can do is make some brass from .218 Bee brass, and form it so the bolt just closes. The brass reforms easily, and is a one step operation.

badgeredd
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
You can try seating some jacketed bullets out to touch the rifling, and using some reduced loads to form the cases to fit your chamber. That will keep the case back against the bolt while the round is being fired. The other thing you can do is make some brass from .218 Bee brass, and form it so the bolt just closes. The brass reforms easily, and is a one step operation.

Thank-you! I do believe you have given me an excellent option. I did plan on just neck sizing since this is my only 25-20.
Edd

Cheshire Dave
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I had a 32-20 like your rifle. I never got around to it,but read in Frank DeHaas's book on Bolt Action Rifle's that tha fix is as you said. Should't be too hard. I think I'd try NHlever's idea first.Good luck.

Three44s
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
I had a Savage 23B loaned to me for a spell ....... the owner bought dies and I set about working up J-word loads ......

He took the rifle back ....... and I have been PINING for it eversince!

Don't mind me being nosy .... but what do these rifles trade for these days??

Three 44s

JW6108
03-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Never seen or heard of one of these.

That oval ejection port combined with the .25-20 is the neatest outfit I have seen in a long time and ought to provide a lot of economical shooting.

badgeredd
03-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I had a Savage 23B loaned to me for a spell ....... the owner bought dies and I set about working up J-word loads ......

He took the rifle back ....... and I have been PINING for it ever since!

Don't mind me being nosy .... but what do these rifles trade for these days??

Three 44s

The fellow that was selling the rifle was asking $375 for it. I didn't see any others at that show. At the second show we went to there was one on a rack (kinda), a 32-20 that was all original and was marked at $450. Right now there is one one Gunbroker in 32-20 that had not met the reserve at $375...actually I think the auction may have ended this morning. I'll look on my other machine as I have it bookmarked.

I just got onto my other computer and found that I was mistaking as to the price for the one on Gunbroker. It just closed and the high bid was $350 and reserve had not been met.

Edd

atr
03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi all,,,,
you have a nice looking rifle !!....

I also own a 25-20 Savage 23B,,,,and it shoots very, very well !!!
I found mine at the back of a bunch of used rifles a couple of years ago down in Oregon....
I paid $175.00

badgeredd
03-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I had a 32-20 like your rifle. I never got around to it,but read in Frank DeHaas's book on Bolt Action Rifle's that tha fix is as you said. Should't be too hard. I think I'd try NHlever's idea first.Good luck.

Thanks. I have no idea why I didn't think to look in Frank's book; guess I forgot about the commercial actions in it as I have refered to that book more time than I care to remember.

Anyway, I got it done this morning. really didn't take that long to do either. NOW I am a happy camper. It closed up tight and the is NO excess headspace! On to reloading some shells for it. It seems to be shooting very well now. I do have to rest it to see what kind of accuracy I get. Thanks again.

Thank you everyone. Although it isn't a fancy rifle, I do like it and it is a nice change to shoot something with so little recoil and noise. I do like the big boomers to, but sometimes a guy needs a little change.

Edd

Bret4207
03-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Nice rifle. I have 2 and your stock is nicer than either of mine or my 32-20. You should be in love within the first 20 shots or so.

dk17hmr
03-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Nice rifle. I like the single shot idea, should be a good shooter. I have posted this pic before but here it is again. My dad has the whole set, 22 hornet, 25-20, 32-20, and 22lr.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/skruske/4Savage23.jpg

I use the 32-20 for rabbits with 155gr cast bullets, I havent played much with the 25-20 yet but I have taken a few squirrels with it, if you dont hit the head dont plan on eating much of it.:-D

LGS
03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
M father and I had a matching pair in 25-20 , his father gave us on my 1st birthday in 1961. My father lost his in a house fire but I still have mine. Killed my first whitetail with it. Great little rifle for groundhogs. Good buy you will enjoy shooting it.

badgeredd
03-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Nice rifles there dk17hmr! Some pretty wood on at least a couple of them too.

Like I said earlier, I was looking for a single shot, but I had a Martini, a falling block, or a roller in mind. The idea of this being turned into a single shot doesn't bother me a bit. Having gone to the show with my local enabler (a.k.a. Hornet) set the stage for other options. I also saw a nice Marlin, older model, in 35 Remington for $400, and a good looking sporterized Krag for $350. I could have easily walked away with 5 or six new-to-me guns, but the misses would have beat me profusely about the head and shoulders!

Bret,

You're right about falling in love with it. I already love the little thing. Now that the headspace is corrected, I'll feel better about shooting it a bunch. The protruding primer just made me a bit uncomfortable.

Thanks for the help and compliments guys. That's one of the reasons I love this forum.

Edd

Flash
03-07-2009, 02:49 PM
I know what you mean about fun. I had both the 32-20 and the 25-20. The 25-20 was drilled for a side mount and the 32 was all original. When I found out how fun these calibers are to shoot, I sold the 23s and bought Marlins. If you haven't figured out where the serial number is yet, it's on the face of the rear receiver ring. Kind of a crazy place but there just the same. Mine had some serious throat pitting but still shot fine and even with cast bullets. If they're all original, these guns easily top the $350 mark on the auction sites. Oh, try 75 grain HP spitzers and you'll be more in love with it.