PDA

View Full Version : Iron River Red has passed

Beau Cassidy
02-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Fellow Listmembers,

I am sad to report that we lost one of our own on December 17. Everyone here may or may not have noticed the absence of Iron River Ed- Chad Bogard. He was killed doing what he loved.

I first met Chad at the range after moving to the area about 3 years ago. He was just getting into making bullets. To my deepest regret we never got to know each other better. Nevertheless, we crossed paths regularly and spoke every few months. The last time I saw him must have been no more than a few weeks before he died. It was at a gunstore and he was buying a brand new stainless Vaquero in .45 LC. Talk about a proud new papa! He told me about a new job he was probably going to move to Gainsville, FL. That was the last time we spoke. He was always on me about melting down my WW in a large crucible. Sounded like a monster. Anyway- I was never able to break away from family obligations to do it.

After not hearing from him since then, I pm'd him earlier today. Before I got to look at the pm, I called his house and learned of the news from his wife. It seems he was at a cowboy action shoot. He absolutely loved it. It was his passion. His wife wasn't exactly sure what happened. Could have been that he reached for a gun he dropped, or stumbled, or heck- who knows- it doesn't really matter now- but he somehow managed to shoot himself.

I have unfortunately seen a lot of strangers die and just like everyone here, it is different when you know the person. The rug is just yanked out from under you. No separation. No nothing. Gone. Please keep him and his 4 children in your thoughts and prayers.

I am truly diminished.

Beau

BruceB
02-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Words fail me. Our deepest regrets to his family and friends.

Bruce

waksupi
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Beau, that is some very sad news. As much as the politicians would like us to believe the shooting sports are dangerous, this is something that very rarely occurs. We all know how safe a shooting range is, particularly one such as he had the accident at. SASS is pretty darned safety conscious.
When I go, I could not ask for a better place, or around better friends.

I recall when Green River passed at a long range shoot a few years back, I guess it may have been clear back in the Shooters days. He died at a long range shoot in Minnesota. I knew Al, and he wouldn't have rather cashed in his chips in any other place, unless he could have been back here in the mountains of Montana.

When you get right down to it, may we all be so lucky. Hard on the folks around us, but darn satisfying to the shooter in all of us.

onceabull
02-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Beau,that's a fine descriptive phrase you put up.. I seem to recall seeing something about this tragic accident on another forum, without recognizing the handle as being with us. Beyond that, I'm without words to express the extent of sympathy for his family.. Onceabull

Herb in Pa
02-01-2006, 10:19 PM
MY prayers and condolences to his family.

NVcurmudgeon
02-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Our condolences to Chad's family, and prayers for the strength and comforting of his wife and children. Bill and Fran

45nut
02-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Wow,,,stunned and dismayed. Rare it may be,but such an accident took a friend of mine late last year. And now this one,tragic and he will be missed.

Please pass our condolences along to his family.
A salute of three rounds from seven of my guns will be fired in his honor.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=524

9.3X62AL
02-02-2006, 01:59 AM
These occurrences tend to rock us at least a little, since all of us are pretty active shooters--and rare as they are, the scant possibility always exists. A reminder for all of us to use due care and caution, and my family's thoughts and prayers follow those of others expressed here.

Beau Cassidy
02-02-2006, 07:52 AM
It is things such as this that make us realize exactly how fragile life really is. Chad was an experienced pistolero. He is one of the last people I would have thought this would happen to. We should all take a moment to appreciate friends and family and get to know each other better.

Beau

Bass Ackward
02-02-2006, 08:16 AM
It is sad when you hear this. It's the one thing you think about when you don't see someone post for awhile. You hate to ask because you might not want to know the answer. And the reality is you can never be sure if their interests just changed or maybe they take a break because of the weather.

So we will just see Chad on the other side.

KCSO
02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Beau
"No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine own were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."

John Donne

Me too.

swheeler
02-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Our prayers are with his family and friends- God speed Chad!
Scooter

Vegas Vince
02-07-2006, 11:11 PM
My condolences to Chad's family, may God be with each of them!

lovedogs
02-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I didn't know the man mentioned in this, but it behooves us all to remember to be safe. We all love our sport/passion and it makes matters more difficult when one of us, or our Vice-President, or anyone has a firearms accident. Please remind yourselves and all our friends to be careful. We need to be reminded once in a while because sometimes our familiarity can let us become careless. Let's not let it happen any more!

Frank46
02-15-2006, 03:08 AM
When ever I see that someone who enjoys the shooting sports has passed away I feel like I have lost a family member. What ever their shooting sport was we all share the joys and good times that are had by all. Frank

Topper
02-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Our prayers can condolences go out to Chad's family.

madcaster
12-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Folks,
This is the fella whose widow 45Nut allowed me to post stuff for here about 18 months or so back.I did not know Chad was a member until the other night when I was looking through old posts.
I hope Chad (and I think he would) approves of how I handled trying to help his widow lady sell what was left in the reloading/casting room.I tried to give the price asked and to buy all I could and help advertise the stuff,and sent Dwight,a friend in Bristol,TN to buy what was left.
Anyways,not trying to hijack the thread,maybe I did,but to say we should all be careful in our shooting and reloading.
Respectfully,to the memory of a fellow shooter!