PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336, How Versatile Is It?

JohnH
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I picked up a 336 in 30WCF Monday. I can't say I've every been a great fan of lever guns, but being short of cash and long willingness to experiment, I decided I couldn't go far wrong for $200. The gun is somewhat rough on the exterior, but is quite servicable otherwise. Someone had put it up in cosmoline, (I've no idea why) so I've got a bit more cleaning ahead to get the gook out of all the nooks and crannies on the frame. The bore is not bright, but the rifling is crisp at both the chamber and the muzzle. The rifle has been handled far more than it has been used.
I've shot both the RCBS 30-150-CB and the Lee 312-185 through the gun and it shoot both well, the Lee 312 better than the RCBS but that is a plain base and I don't expect as much from it, though 3" off ahnd at 50 yards with the factory irons is well enough for playing, the Lee goes into half that off a rest.

So far so good. Now what I'd like to know is what are my options from the standpoint of upgrading in performance. I don't mean velocity, rather, what are the best choices of aftermarket irons sights, the trigger is a tad heavy (though without creep and let off is clean) what can be done? The action I'm sure needs abit more cleaning, but are there any specific tricks to slicking it up? It is completely possible that this rifle could serve double duty as a personal defense/house gun. What comments have ye there, and what modification could enhance performance in that realm. (On that note, my wife and I are the only occupants of the house, my nearest neighbor is on the order of 200 yards distant, and I'd not use a standard loading, something more like a 100 grain hollow point at circa 2000 fps) Finally does anyone know of any kind of a speed loader for this rifel type?

NHlever
03-04-2009, 10:35 PM
The 30 WCF, or 30-30 Winchester is a very versitile caliber, and your rifle is very versitile as well. When money was tight I used a Marlin 336 for everything. I had a little 2 1/2 power scope on mine. I used 110 grain spitzers single loaded, or loaded one in the magazine, and one in the chamber for varmints, cast 115's with a little Unique to duplicate the 32-20, and either a cast 170, or a j word 170 for deer, and wild boar. If one were to talk in terms of "year round" to describe the "all around" gun he could do worse than the humble 30-30. Enjoy.

NickSS
03-05-2009, 02:51 AM
I have to agree with NHLever the 30WCF is my very favorite rifle due to its versatility. I actually have several lever action and single shots in that caliber but my first one was bought due to lack of funds and the need for a deer rifle to go hunting with the guys. Since then I have fallen in love with that rifle which is a Marlin. I still have it and it is a 50s vintage 336 that is fitted with a white bead front and a williams FP rear sight. To date I have used it to hunt deer, elk, wild hogs, coyote, raccoon, rabbit, grouse, and numerous other critters. I load it with everything from .311 round balls through 180 gr cast bullets at velocities from 500 fps to 2500 fps. It works with them all.

Bret4207
03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
No speed loaders available that I know of. But if you hit a BG with a 30-30 he's going down NOW. Shouldn't need too many followup shots.

dubber123
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
If you are reasonably handy, the Marlin trigger is easy to work on. I got simple directions from a fellow board member here. Getting a 2-1/2 pound creep free trigger is pretty easy, and uses all the factory parts and springs. The part that requires modifying costs $5 if you succeed in screwing it up.

Wild West guns sells a drop in trigger kit also if your not feeling so adventurous. If the trigger is heavy, I think this is the single biggest mod you could make.

jimkim
03-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I use a Williams peep sight on mine. You can find many different brands now. If you have good/young eyes the factory semibuckhorn sight is fine. I think the 30 WCF is the most versatile round ever made. Enjoy it!!! You might want to talk to the guys over at the Marlin forum to find the best parts or mods for your rifle.

jlchucker
03-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Right on, JohnH and NHLever!! The 30-30 can be used for all sorts of shooting, especially if you handload. That little 115 gr Lyman PB boolet can provide lots of nice surprises for folks who are looking for a plinker/varmint load. Very accurate at ranges that the 30-30 is typically used. It doesn't bounce off small game, either.

alamogunr
03-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I load it with everything from .311 round balls through 180 gr cast bullets at velocities from 500 fps to 2500 fps. It works with them all.

With a little searching on the net, I find that "0" buck is listed as .32 dia and may actually measure about .005 less. Would this work for plinking and small pest loads? Being soft and with less contact with the rifling, a little oversize shouldn't raise pressure. It would probably be a very light ("cat sneeze") load anyway. It would seem that this would be a cheap way to have some fun. Where would I find some load data?
John
W.TN

cabezaverde
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
If you are reasonably handy, the Marlin trigger is easy to work on. I got simple directions from a fellow board member here. Getting a 2-1/2 pound creep free trigger is pretty easy, and uses all the factory parts and springs. The part that requires modifying costs $5 if you succeed in screwing it up.

Wild West guns sells a drop in trigger kit also if your not feeling so adventurous. If the trigger is heavy, I think this is the single biggest mod you could make.

Dubber,

If you were ever to take the time to type up those instructions and post them, I would be forever thankful. I do not enjoy spending $80 plus on the WW trigger.

corvette8n
03-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Put a peep sight on it. I painted my front bead with some glow in the dark stuff, it may not help but it make me feel like it does.
take it to the range and shoot it.
my favorite plinking load is 8-10 gr of Unique under Lee 150gr fngc.
My Marlin 336 circa 1978 was my first centerfire. I now have a 1950 dated one also.

dubber123
03-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Dubber,

If you were ever to take the time to type up those instructions and post them, I would be forever thankful. I do not enjoy spending $80 plus on the WW trigger.

I didn't want to volunteer the fellow who sent me the directions without first asking him. Let me see if he is willing to post them. In a nutshell, the little curved sear, (cheap part) has an "approximate" 45° bevel stoned on the non sear side. This holds the sear contact in a position where you don't have to "drag" it so far. That and just cleaning up the rough factory machinig is all thats needed.

I have done 2 that didn't want to go below 4#, but the rest, (6 or 7 guns) have gone to 2-1/2 or less with ease. Even the 4# ones felt like less from eliminating the creep. 2# on a Marlin 32-20 makes a nice shooting machine!

jimkim
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
With a little searching on the net, I find that "0" buck is listed as .32 dia and may actually measure about .005 less. Would this work for plinking and small pest loads? Being soft and with less contact with the rifling, a little oversize shouldn't raise pressure. It would probably be a very light ("cat sneeze") load anyway. It would seem that this would be a cheap way to have some fun. Where would I find some load data?
John
W.TN

Here, thank you Junior. http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rb30.htm

Corvette have you tried 7.0gr of Red Dot with that? I use it with 140gr SAECO 630's and 152gr Lyman 308241's as well as the Ranch Dog bullet with out a GC.

cabezaverde
03-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Wonder what the noise level is with Junior's loads?

pumpguy
03-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I LOVE all 5 of my 336s in 30-30. I think of them as the small block Chevy of the gun world. I load 6 gr of Red Dot under a 311041 for my daughter to shoot all the way up to screamers with 110 grain plinkers. I have never done it, but, some guys claim to varmint hunt with them. I could see that.

Firebricker
03-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Total agreement with all above. I would like to try a scout style scope mount on a 336. For a cartridge to last and stay popular this long says it all right there. Plus you dont have to look hard if you need factory ammo or at least before the panic buying. FB

jimkim
03-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Speaking of varmint hunting with a 30-30, http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3030varmint.htm This article by Paco Kelly is pretty good. Enjoy it.

gon2shoot
03-08-2009, 05:54 PM
jimkim gave you a good link there. Paco Kelly has a lot of good info on leverguns.

As far as aftermarket sights, I have Skinner sights on several of mine and am very happy whith them. Sometimes the front blade needs to be changed, but I've found that with all aftermarket sights.

Tim Skinner has a website, or you can find him at Marlinowners.com.