PDA

View Full Version : best sizer

280Ackley
03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
before investing in a piece of new gear, I would like to take a poll. What is the best option for sizing gear. :redneck:

Calehedron
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Best is Magma Star Sizer, but it can get pricey. Starts at $250 for the base and with a few options and a few dies, you can hit $800 real quick like I did.

Next would be the Lyman and RCBS. Dies and Punches are interchangeable and run about $130 new with heated bases.

Saeco also has a design like Lyman and RCBS.

For cheap, no frills sizing you can go with Lee push thru dies that screw into your reloading press.

largom
03-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Are you referring to JUST SIZING or do you mean sizing AND lubeing?
Larry

280Ackley
03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
What I am really debating is whether or not to continue buying one size at a time Lee or to invest in a lube sizer and if so what kind.

ddeaton
03-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I really like my Star. I just got a Lyman 450 also for black powder lube, but have no advice yet, as I need Dale to show me how to get it up and running. They will chime in and tell you the perks of each.

KYCaster
03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Even after you buy the machine, you'll still be spending more money for every new sizing die.

Jerry

largom
03-04-2009, 10:09 PM
The advantages of the lub/sizers are they lube and size. They also offer sizing dies in a greater size range than the LEE sizers. The disadvantage is that the sizer dies cost way more than the LEE die. You also need top punches to fit your bullet with the Lyman and RCBS units. Don't know anything about the Star or Saeco units.
I have 3 Lyman 450's but I also have LEE sizers also for most of my boolits. I like to lube in the 450 with an oversized die and then use the LEE push-thru for final sizing, if I size at all.
Larry

Firebricker
03-04-2009, 10:28 PM
I have a lyman, star and tried the lee. The lee is fast and cheap but I didnt like pan lubing but they shot good though. I like the lyman a lot its slower but a lot cleaner plus you get a good look at every boolit. The star by far my favorite fast and lathesmith can make you any size die you could want. All three will do the job so it comes down to preferance. Good luck tough choice.

monadnock#5
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
My Lyman 450 doesn't like .45 pistol boolits. I have all the leverage I need for plunging them into the die, but then have to fight to make them resurface. I've taken to sizing them with a LEE sizer with a coat of alox, and the lubing them with C Red in the 450. Chances are, when all is said and done, you'll end up with several lube/sizers, and like them all just fine. Oh, .45's are the only boolits the 450 has a problem with.

cbrick
03-04-2009, 11:24 PM
280Ackley, if you don't get the Star now DO NOT ever try one in the future, your hieny will be black and blue from the kicking you'll give it.

You should consider this purchase carefully before you get any machine and the reason is simple, its not the cost of the machine . . . its the cost of the dies. If you buy the RCBS (just as an example) and start buying dies for it and then down the road a few years you decide that you cast enough and in several different calibers that the Star is what you need & want you can buy all the dies all over again. If you get the Star first I assure you that you will never consider the others.

Rick

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2009, 05:19 AM
star is hands down the best

Down South
03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Get the Star. Lathesmith can make the dies for you at a great price.

Bret4207
03-05-2009, 08:21 AM
I have RCBS, Lyman and Lee. I like the RCBS better than the Lyman 450 or 45. The Lee may be cheap, but they work exceedingly well giving very nice boolits and can be opened to any diameter you want easily. While they are inexpensive, I don't consider them "cheap". The RCBS/Lyman types work quite well but the dies are expensive. OTH they are readily available on the used market. I used a SAECO once, very nice, a step up from the RCBS.

I'm sure the Star is wunnerful wunnerful but they are expensive, used parts aren't around like Lyman/RCBS and I keep seeing guys here having this problem or that. I suppose there's a learning curve.

If I could have the perfect sizer it would be a Lee style that lubes too. That's sort of the Star, so maybe these guys are right.

TAWILDCATT
03-09-2009, 06:15 PM
if you look at an old lyman I mean old you will be looking at a redding AND THE rcbs is an intermediate to the lyman.so there.:coffee:[smilie=1:

bobthenailer
03-09-2009, 07:16 PM
if you lube & size about 5,000 + bullets a year get a star/magnma !!!!!! i have 2 stars, one has sized well over 250,000 bullets the second one about 50,000 with no breakages or parts replacement . ive also had 2 lymans and 2 saecos sold them all ! once you use the star you will never go back ! i use mine for pistol and rifle bullets . over the years 3 local bullet casters came to my house and used mine and they bought theres right away ! and 1 was mad at me for not telling them about the star sooner

mooman76
03-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I started with the Lee and moved up to a Use but in great shape Lyman 450. I use both depending on what suits me. The Star is only worth it if you crank out lots of bullets.

Down South
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Cheap way and it works well is Lee push through but you have to either pan or tumble lube. Expensive is only one, Star. I have both and they both do an excellent job of sizing. Both are nose first sizers and that's a plus too.

Opps, I just saw that I already replied to this post. Sorry folks.

Dennis Eugene
03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't crank out lots of boolits but do have a Star and an RCBS ,got the RCBS first still use it from time to time but any new sizeing dies I buy are allways for the star. Once you use a star notheing else compares. Dennis

anachronism
03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

Nothing more to say...

atr
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I have an old Lyman 45 and its never failed me.....sometimes when the garage is ice cold I have to hook up a heat lamp over it so the lub will flow...other than that its a pretty basic functional tool

cajun shooter
03-10-2009, 08:53 AM
If you have the money, then the answer is STAR!!! You can shoot lead bullets with just a simple pan lube or you can sit back and relax and use a Star. Read the thread by heavy Lead on the Cast Boolits postings just above this one. He ask the question Why should I buy a Star. The answers there will tell you. Oh and I have three, they are so good Later David

Naphtali
03-10-2009, 12:38 PM
My shooting-hunting partner was a commercial cast bullet manufacturer. Currently, he continues to load and shoot tens of thousands of rounds per year. He is my expert.

Redding's Saeco Lubri-Sizer, using tapered shoulder top punches, he has found to be the most precise machine for non-commercial reloaders. It has the ability to size without lubricating were you to prefer it. Unfortunately, its mechanical advantage is not particularly high.

His second choice is the currently made RCBS lubrisizer because of its superior mechanical advantage.

Hope this helps.

MtGun44
03-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Like asking what is the best vehicle.

For high speed, Porsche, Corvette, Ferarri.

To carry lumber - F150.

:-D

I have lee cake cutters, Lee push thru, Lyman, RCBS and two Stars.
Each has it's application, and the cost is all over the map, new
and dies, etc.

How high is up?

Bill

MT Chambers
03-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I have a cast bullet bus. in Canada and for years i have lubed and sized on Lyman, and RCBS. lubesizers, and sized on Lee sizers, I currently have 2 Lyman w/heaters, 2 RCBS, and have done probably hundreds of thousands of bullets on them. I recently bought a Star with Air pressure cyl......Why the hell did i wait so long?...This thing is magic and maybe 10 times faster, so slick, and produces beautiful bullets. I have just ordered a second one and may dump some of my other sizers, and no, I'm not connected with Star/Magma in any way!!

280Ackley
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Thank all of you for your responses. While I do have work inside a budget, price will not drive my purchace. As I discovered years ago with bird dogs the purchase price is just the down payment on years or enjoyment or aggervation. As the Filson ad says "might as well have the best". Think I'll order a Star

Gary51
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Star, vintage San Diego version and no mine is not for sale.

dromia
03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
The answer really depends on your application, they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Here's my reply to recent post in a similar vein.

"The Star is indeed a fine lube sizer but really comes into its own if you need to do lots of the same boolits to the same size in this game it has no peers.

However if you are like me who is casting and loading a couple of hundred boolits at a time of different designs that all have different lubing and sizing requirements for different rifles then the Lyman and RCBS are much better.

They are much cheaper and easier to get second hand than the Star, I have 3 rcbs, 2 Lymans and a Vickers on my bench and they all cost less than a new Star. Also I find size die change over time is quicker than on the Starr, not an issue if you are sizing high volumes of the same boolit.

For size dies Buckshot will make you any size you want.

So really you need to consider your needs first to help you make an informed decision."

Finally the RCBS product support is second to none, new or second hand.