PDA

View Full Version : Lead aloy question

hogslayer
03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but...
What is the aloy of stick on wheel weight as apposed to clip on.
I know the clip on pretty well just do not know the hardness (or lack of) for the stick on type.
Thanks
Hogslayer

docone31
03-04-2009, 01:59 PM
From what I have read, and seen, most stick on wheel weights are mostly pure.
I have been told, for muzzle loaders to put them aside for the balls, and Mine's.
So far, I have just been blending them in.

hogslayer
03-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Docone31
I think you are right from all indications that I get from the lead its self it is pretty soft

hogslayer

Ole
03-04-2009, 03:30 PM
It might have a little tin in it, but most here consider it pure, soft lead.

high standard 40
03-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I have melted & pored into ingots about 2000lbs of wheel weights in the last couple of months & here is what I have learned. There are many different types of stick-ons and they are not all the same. Some appear to be pure lead and others are obviously not. Available here locally there is one type of weight that has no finish coating at all, it is dark grey in color, bends easily, and dents very easily with cutting pliers. These I assume are pure lead or nearly so. There are other stick-ons that have a silver paint coating them. Some of these dent easily and others appear nearly as hard as clip-on weights. At first I was melting all stick-ons together and calling it pure lead but upon further thought have taken a new route because once I have fluxed and skimmed there appears to be some tin in the melt which I believe is from those harder coated weights. I make to claim to be a metallurgist but it is obvious not all stick-ons are the same. I will in the future include the harder stick-ons in my melt with clip-ons since I melt in batches of about 120 lbs. any difference in alloy will be offset by the volume of that batch and shouldn't matter.

Charlie......