PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice...

klausg
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Gang-
You might have seen my other thread on my recent foray back into leverguns, and my local gun shop's efforts to destroy my checking account. Well, I finally got around to slugging my '89 Marlin, the slug mikes @ 0.4265, locking my mike @ 0.427 provides barely a slip fit. While tapping the slug through, (I started at the muzzle, still haven't found a book to tell me how to take it apart), I noticed that the first 6" or so, (@ the muzzle) and the last approx 3" (@ the chamber) were tight. The rest of the bore was an easy push, no tapping involved.

So we come to the series of questions:

a) I figure the tightness @ the muzzle is probably a good thing, that @ the chamber not so good. Any opinions?

b) I managed to find a 0.429 RCBS sizing die @ a yard sale this weekend, and I already have an RCBS 44-200-FN. Provided I can get them to chamber, does anyone see any issues with this combination?

c) My normal alloy is WW (with a little tin when I've got issues); given the vagaries of the bore, my thinking is to go to a softer alloy like 50/50 WW and stick-on? Opinions requested.

d) This last one deals less with technical aspects and more with aesthetics; the original front sight was definitely designed for someone with much younger eyes than mine. I am contemplating a change to a nice fat ivory bead, (like a 3/32" Williams), that my eye can actually find. The weapon has been re-blued so the collector value is already shot and I'll keep the original. Good idea or major faux pas?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, take care.

-Klaus

StarMetal
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Gang-
You might have seen my other thread on my recent foray back into leverguns, and my local gun shop's efforts to destroy my checking account. Well, I finally got around to slugging my '89 Marlin, the slug mikes @ 0.4265, locking my mike @ 0.427 provides barely a slip fit. While tapping the slug through, (I started at the muzzle, still haven't found a book to tell me how to take it apart), I noticed that the first 6" or so, (@ the muzzle) and the last approx 3" (@ the chamber) were tight. The rest of the bore was an easy push, no tapping involved.

So we come to the series of questions:

a) I figure the tightness @ the muzzle is probably a good thing, that @ the chamber not so good. Any opinions?

b) I managed to find a 0.429 RCBS sizing die @ a yard sale this weekend, and I already have an RCBS 44-200-FN. Provided I can get them to chamber, does anyone see any issues with this combination?

c) My normal alloy is WW (with a little tin when I've got issues); given the vagaries of the bore, my thinking is to go to a softer alloy like 50/50 WW and stick-on? Opinions requested.

d) This last one deals less with technical aspects and more with aesthetics; the original front sight was definitely designed for someone with much younger eyes than mine. I am contemplating a change to a nice fat ivory bead, (like a 3/32" Williams), that my eye can actually find. The weapon has been re-blued so the collector value is already shot and I'll keep the original. Good idea or major faux pas?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, take care.

-Klaus

Klaus,

I'd lap out that tight spot near the chamber and leave the rest of the barrel alone. Myself I'd hand lap it instead of fire lap it because I wouldn't want the rest of the barrel touched as mentioned.

Joe

TGM
03-04-2009, 01:34 PM
The 89 Marlin comes apart the same as all Marlins. Remove the lever screw, remove lever, then pull out the bolt. The ejector is held in with a screw on the 89's. Just assemble in the reverse order. How clean is the barrel, the tight spots could be caused by lead fouling and other assorted crud. Most of these older guns have barrels that are pretty nasty looking.

TGM

Boerrancher
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Before I did anything I would give it a good cleaning if you haven't already. If it is really clean and the bore is as you say, I would also vote for a hand lapping of the tight spot near the chamber. Also I would consider the 50/50 alloy. I have shot that alloy for a long time, and with a good lube and proper fit it should serve your needs well.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

woody1
03-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Clean it and then clean it some more. Put it away wet for a day and clean again. Clean it some more. Scrub it again. Then shoot it with the largest boolit that will chamber before you do anything else. Regards, Woody