PDA

View Full Version : The madness has reached Star

cajun shooter
03-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Since I shoot Frontier Cartridge in CAS matches it keeps my Star with air cylinder tied up as I shoot 2-3 times a month 12 months straight. I have some need for a sizer and luber for the straight stuff for friend projects. I decided to order another Star from Magma on Monday the 2nd. Called out to Arizona and spoke with the lady who almost always answes the phone and told her that I wanted to order another Star. She said, I can put you on the list. I said list? She said that at this time they are selling Stars like hotcakes and that my waiting time will be 4-6 weeks. I said but I'm a old customer, someone who buys from you in regular times. Sorry, go to the rear of the line. When will the insaity stop? People are going to have supplies running out the behind and then the companies will have a overstock problem. Maybe not as it's been 3 months since the election and the madness continues.

Firebricker
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
cajun shooter, at a gun show this weekend a vendor had an old star probably an original with an air cylinder on it for $200 and that was later on last day might still have it. I got his card when I bought brass from him. I,m gonna pm you his e-mail just incase your interested.
F.B.

trickyasafox
03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm going to order my first star with my tax refund. I heard they were backlogged, but I don't mind the wait. my RCBS can get me through till then. It'll take me that 6 weeks to afford some sizing dies anyway. Man those things are pricey!

No_1
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
With the cost of guns, components and equipment sales going thew the roof it sounds like us owners / casters / shooters are the only stimulation our economy needs.

Robert

cbrick
03-04-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm going to order my first star with my tax refund. I heard they were backlogged, but I don't mind the wait. my RCBS can get me through till then. It'll take me that 6 weeks to afford some sizing dies anyway. Man those things are pricey!

Magma won't bill your card until until the item ships. If you ordered it today and there really is a 6 week wait it will be 6 weeks before your charged. You might want to get on this list.

You also might want to contact Lathesmith for your dies, not sure what he's charging but I'd bet it's less than the $40.00 Magma is currently getting.

Since your saving so much money getting your dies from Lathesmith you should consider getting the air cylinder. Wow, what a difference that makes.

Rick

mikenbarb
03-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I wonder if all this madness is affecting the quality of the items being pushed out the door as fast as they can make them. It seems to me that stuff is made alot better when their isnt a push to mass produce precision equipment. Nuts and bolts are double checked instead of just slapped on and boxed up. Just my 2 cents worth.

runfiverun
03-05-2009, 12:12 AM
the stars are so simple, they could sell a kit. and you could assemble it yourself in about an hour.

trickyasafox
03-05-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't have air in the basement where I reload- I was thinking the cabin tree spring assisted feeder

cbrick
03-05-2009, 12:57 AM
A portable air tank from the parts store and filled at a gas station or such would work well. The unit only needs pressure, no volume at all.

Rick

Bret4207
03-05-2009, 08:11 AM

They give you money back?!!!! What a novel idea.......:holysheep

Willbird
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
A portable air tank from the parts store and filled at a gas station or such would work well. The unit only needs pressure, no volume at all.

Rick

I agree, a harbor freight tire tank would work fine, AND you would have a tire tank when you needed one :-). ACTUALLY I only run mine at 60 lbs, so if a guy was really cheap he could just use a TIRE, some of the many ply 3/4 ton pickup tires have a pretty high inflation pressure, I only run my air pressure at 60 lbs.

jnovotny
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Man willbird that's inovation, what a way to think outside the box.

Willbird
03-05-2009, 09:20 AM

Rick

I never owned one but that is how the old VW bug's windshield washer worked, it stole air pressure from your spare tire :-).

Bill

Calehedron
03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
The 6 week lead time is due to low workforce and commitment to quality. I go by to visit and buy a die every now and then. There isnt much more than 10 people working there and they are all of retirement age. One of the women that works there has never owned a computer. I thought that she was who I was emailing when I was getting a quote, but it was actually the owner, Mary.

As for air, I use a 1 gallon pancake compressor I bought at wal-mart to air up tires on the cars, motorcycles, and bikes. As it has been said, you only need pressure, not volume.

cajun shooter
03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
The 7 gal air tank that Wally World sells works just fine. That's what I use as I run around 80 lbs of pressure to fill the Big Lube Bullet lube groove. The tank is filled to it's 125 lb capacity and if the teflon tape does it's job everything will go on for days.

Mumblypeg
03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I never owned one but that is how the old VW bug's windshield washer worked, it stole air pressure from your spare tire :-).

Bill

Yea I had one of those. Fill er up with gas and air.

mtgrs737
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
+1 on the small pancake air compressor, I have one that costs something like $39 and it works great. You can use the portable air tank without any problems also. The air cylinder is the way to go IMHO.

trickyasafox
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
than I'll have to look at one of those! I'm sure its just all sorts of handy to keep around anyway :)

opentop
03-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I just ordered a star two days ago and Mary quoted me 2 weeks

Halo_Ranger
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I asked about wait time when I ordered mine it was 3~4 back around December. I asked if they made these in batches instead of a continuous run and they said yes they are made in batches. That would explain the wait time.

Springfield
03-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I used a pancake compressor for a while but it didn't go high enough on pressure for me, so I now use a 250 PSI 12 volt portable compressor from Sears. I just hook it up to an old motorcycle battery to run it, and put an adapter on the hose instead of the filler valve mechanism. I like to run 160 lbs on mine to keep the volume going when I am sizing a few thousand at a time. Pressure is easier to adjust than temperature, and more consistant too.

ddeaton
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I talked to them today and she said about a 3 to 4 week wait. They have about 35 sold and build them in batches at a time about 30.

Ken 45LC
03-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I hope your 4-6 weeks goes by as fast as mine did. I just ordered a mould for the master caster and when I asked for an estimate on how long it would take she quoted me 4-6 weeks as well, and said they were out of about everything. I ordered it last Friday the 27th, I just got home tonight to find a box on the table from Magma. Wow, less than a week by my calendar, needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

So hopefully your order won't take as long either.

Best wishes,

Ken

cajun shooter
03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Firebricker, turned me on to a man in Ohio that was selling a Star with air cylinder for $200. I contacted him and made a deal. I'm still leaving my order at Star and when it comes I will have three to use. No worry about lubes that way. Bought my first Star around 1971 and they are still the best thing going. Later David