PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet manufacturers

monkeymt
03-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Hello,
I am brand new here and have been having a great time reading a ton of information for the past couple of hours.
I have begun to shoot my old Colt SAA's and Smiths lately and love cast bullets. The last time I cast my own was when I was a teen. I am 62 now. I am looking forward to begin casting again but with my newly found passion of pistol shooting I can find enough time to reload. My question is this. Who makes good cast bullets? I am looking for 45 Colt and 44 Special as these are my favorite calibers. I also spend quite a bit of time shooting registered trap so even though I have sort of retired I still shoot my pistols at least two or three times a week.
I hope that I have posted on the right forum.
I look forward to reading more and more about this fine hobby.
Thank you
Mark
Semper Fi

Dean D.
03-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi Mark, welcome to the greatest forums for cast boolits on the net and howdy neighbor! :drinks:

I don't buy many cast boolits, mainly cast my own, but I did have pretty good luck with "Oregon Trail" boolits in my 32-20. They are located in Baker City, Ore. Here is the toll free phone number that is on an old box I have left: 1-800-811-0548

For my .45 LC I picked up some at the White Elephant in Spokane that were made by "Lance Hard Cast Bullets, W7001 Spotted Circle, Spokane Wa. 99204 (509)747-2858

Those are the only 2 brands of boolits I've ever bought.

Good luck, hope that helps. Maybe see ya on the trap range, I'm hoping to get more active and shoot some ATA again this year. :mrgreen:

monkeymt
03-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi Dean,
Nice to meet you. I have heard of Oregon Trail boolits (I did not spell this correctly in my first post but I am learning). The only cast boolits I have on hand were made by an outfit called Nader Bullets in 451 diam. 255 gr Keith style SWC and I bought them, get this, about 25 years ago out of a gun shop in California. I only have about 60 or so left and at the rate I am going they will not last long. Will check out both of your leads.
Thanks for the information. Hope to meet you on a trap line this year. I will be at the Camas Prairie at Walla Walla in a couple of weeks. Just ask for the On Target guy if you are there and you will find me.
Mark

Dean D.
03-04-2009, 01:22 AM
You might also check at the White Elephant in Lewiston if it is still open.

I'm not sure if I'll make the Camas shoot but I might just try if time and money allow. I will be at the Spokesman-Review shoot in Spokane weekend after this coming. We have a couple local fun days with our club and one further north that I'm sorta obligated to attend.

Let me know if you have trouble locating any .45 boolits, given some time I could cast you up some if you run out. I have several molds to choose from including that 255gr Keith and the old 454190.

Good luck on your shooting and we'll see you on the line sometime!

Bullshop
03-04-2009, 01:36 AM
A member here has a custom casting service.
Check the shootin links for The Bullshop at the bottom of this page.
BIC/BS

monkeymt
03-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Thank you,
I see that the website is under construction but I will check back again.
Mark

azrednek
03-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Here are my favorite store-bought bullets http://magnusbullets.com/contact_us.htm

He has many cast but also sells a few swaged bullets. His swaged 45 cal bullets are remarkably more accurate than anything I can cast. His swaged 148gr 38 cal full wadcutters are as accurate as the name brand swaged.

Might be a good idea to slug the bores of your "old" Colts. I'm not sure of the year, I think it is in the World War 2 era Colt decreased their 45 cal bore size to .452 from .454. Most the commercial bullet casters offer 45 Colt bullets in both sizes.

monkeymt
03-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Those look like very good bullets. I have slugged the bores as I have seen differences in bore diameter in even post war Colt SAA's.

JW6108
03-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Great folks to deal with:

http://www.missouribullet.com/index.php

Dean D.
03-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I have never ordered any boolits from Daniel @ Bullshop but if his boolits are as good as his lubes are you cant go wrong! Excellent products and fantastic service. Plus...he's one of us! :drinks: :mrgreen:

putteral
03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Try this fellow his name is Robert. I used to buy all my cast bullets from him. He has the best prices I have found. Stonewall Bullets This is the website. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,23847.0.html
Just email him to find out what is available.

Bullshop
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
The Bullshop web site is working. We just dont have all our molds pictured yet but we are working on that. When we are done there will be about 200 designs available as in stock items.
Remember also that we offer all calibers in several diameters and hardness.
A true custom service.
The only place you will find our product advertised is at our site sponsered by this site and here.
Ken has helped us from our beginings on the net and I dont plan on turning away from him to advertise with someone else. Dont want to get rich, just get by. The bible says true gain is contentment with food and rayment and I believe I have been blessed with true gain. Praise God.
Blessings
BIC/BS

monkeymt
03-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Thank you so much one and all. I did not know that there was this much information and so many custom bullet makers. Don't know, may have to try some small batches from several of these makers. This is fun!
Mark

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Ive used bullets from a bunch of them and many make good bullets. My personal favorite is mt. baldy bullets. Mostly for two reasons. First he casts good keiths and very few bullet manufactures do keiths. Second is frank is a great guy and knows and uses his product and will help you decide what bullet and what alloy are best for your task. Nice thing is unlike most bullet casters you can even choose your own alloy.