PDA

View Full Version : How many times?

montana_charlie
03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
How many times have you heard...

- Is lead pipe a good source of pure Pb?
- How much antimony is in roofing lead?
- Can I substitute babbit metal for tin?
- What is the composition of wheel weights?
- Is monotype good for casting bullets?
- If I add birdshot to get an alloy that I can heat treat, how much tin do I need for castability?

There are many more possibilities, but if you've been here for a while, you probably think you know how to answer most of those. But, how about that last one?

There is a book titled, "The Handbook of Commercial Bullet Casting" by Paul B. Moore which is probably something that we all need a copy of.

A small part of it is available on this page...
http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/Lead%20Alloys.htm

I found the page today, totally by accident. The allusions to different 'charts' and 'chapters' made me aware that this is only one part of the whole.
Interestingly, the question about birdshot and tin is answered in the excerpt...and you will learn that even plumber's lead ingots are not pure lead.
CM

sav300
03-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Montana charlie.interesting and thank you.

carpetman
03-03-2009, 11:45 PM
montana charlie---have heard all of them plenty---but heard much much more what to use for an ingot mold to include where to get muffin pans---rusty or not--teflon or not---gee an ingot mold costs $15 and lasts a lifetime..

Slow Elk 45/70
03-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Montana Charlie, Yes we hear them a lot, have for years, new casters ask old questions and folks like you steer them in the right direction. Thanks for sharing your information, I hope folks take a minute to read it.

monadnock#5
03-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Good stuff and very interesting. Too much arsenic could be what caused joeb's broken boolit.

Boerrancher
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
---gee an ingot mold costs $15 and lasts a lifetime..

Yes Ray, it does, but I am a cheap B@$t@rd. I will keep using the corn shaped muffin pan that I dug out of a junk pile somewhere, and the wife's rejected muffin tins that she considers unfit for baking. I will keep that $15 in my pocket and add another $10 to it and buy a pound of powder or 1k of primers.

Thanks for the Heads up M.C. I will keep an eye out for the book. I am sure I can find it for sale online if I look long enough.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

badgeredd
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
As a fairly new caster, I have asked some of the questions. I've found a lot of the answers here without asking.

Now I have 2 comments on lead alloy.

One, I think it would be really nice to have a sub-topic heading for just this subject. It sure would make it easier to find some of the info I've gleaned from hours of reading. I know some still wouldn't read, but at least many would have a central topic line they could look up. There is a sticky for lubes recipes, possibly a "sticky" for lead alloys?

Two, it would be nice if new casters would look and read a bit before asking. I can imagine some of you "older" guys get really tired of seeing the same question over and over. I know that I've seen a few comments that easily convey the feeling of frustration.[smilie=1:

One last thought, is there a NEW CASTERS sub heading for a lot of the basics? That could be a benefit to newbies too. :-?:-?

I've read a lot of the members articles and found many answers to questions I've had. I am lucky to have become friends with a fellow member in the area that has been really helpful to me. It IS nice to be able to ask someone that can give you a answer in a personal conversation. Often one answer leads to another question from me. :-D

BTW, thanks MC for the link to the article. Unfortunately the book is out of print. Guess that will be another item on the list to look for at gun shows. DARN, I'll have to go to even more shows![smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Edd

Firebricker
03-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for posting link Montana Charlie thats good info.