PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever??

Kraschenbirn
03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I think the lousy weather has finally gotten to me. All my storage trays are full sized/lubed boolits; I've loaded sufficient rifle ammo that I've run out of storage boxes, Garand clips, and both LE and Mauser strippers, and I've got enough .38s, .44s and .45s on hand to reenact all of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns and Dirty Harry flicks combined.

Last night may have been the clincher, though. I found myself going through my inventory of reloads and looking for ammo to PULL DOWN!! Yeah, breaking down old loads...stuff that I don't shoot anymore because I've worked up something a little better or, in one case, I've sold/traded the rifle the it was loaded for.

No problem using the 200 or so primed .308 cases, the plastic tub of M80 FMJs, or the reclaimed AA2015 but dunno what I'm gonna do with a 1/2 pound of AA2520. Anyone tried loading it with CBs?

Bill

madcaster
03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
You gots it BAD Amigo!

357maximum
03-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Sounds like you need to go buy a beagle sir....your winters will never be the same again.

beanflip
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
send them to me I have mega storage

JSnover
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
You have way too much time on your hands. Send me your address, I've got a pile of components you can load for me:-D

RayinNH
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
You can always buy a new gun in a caliber that you don't own, so that you can have a project...Ray

454PB
03-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I hear ya, brother.

I made 500 .224 home swaged jacketed bullets last week, sized and trimmed a few boxes of 22/250 brass, then discovered I had 100 rounds of the planned recipe in storage.

Hurricane
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
I think it is time to dress up warm and spend the whole day at a range shooting. That will give you empty cases to load and with luck a shortage of bullets that requires more casting sessions.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Ditto on the cabin fever, if you think you got it bad, it is still hovering around -0 up here in the really frozen far North, I, shipping in more fired brass so I don't go stir crazy before spring...

44man
03-04-2009, 08:37 AM
I think the lousy weather has finally gotten to me. All my storage trays are full sized/lubed boolits; I've loaded sufficient rifle ammo that I've run out of storage boxes, Garand clips, and both LE and Mauser strippers, and I've got enough .38s, .44s and .45s on hand to reenact all of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns and Dirty Harry flicks combined.

Last night may have been the clincher, though. I found myself going through my inventory of reloads and looking for ammo to PULL DOWN!! Yeah, breaking down old loads...stuff that I don't shoot anymore because I've worked up something a little better or, in one case, I've sold/traded the rifle the it was loaded for.

No problem using the 200 or so primed .308 cases, the plastic tub of M80 FMJs, or the reclaimed AA2015 but dunno what I'm gonna do with a 1/2 pound of AA2520. Anyone tried loading it with CBs?

Bill
You can now travel the country and stop at each members home and cast all of our boolits and load our ammo too! I have beer! :drinks:

Recluse
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
My problem is that our winter was wussier than a new-age Democrat facing down a ten-year old mugger holding a rubber knife and water gun. Was going to wait until late March to trim all the trees I've got. (I hate trees, by the way. They're the reason you have to rake leaves.) But now they're budding out and sending out leaves! [smilie=b:

So, if you're all that bored up there in the frozen Land of Lincoln and really looking for something to do, come on down my way. I got plenty of stuff to do, not enough time to do it, but plenty of good enough weather to do it in.

And bring your guns and ammo--we got plenty of places to shoot around here.

:coffee:

Reddot
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm going to try and up Recluse's anti. I have range lead I need to smelt and make into ingots but at this point no place to do it. So, I'll trade you 2 for 1 range lead for ingots. In addition I shoot at a really nice range so bring your guns. I'll check to see if there are any salmon or steelhead runs going on and maybe we can catch some and you will go home with some smoked. Disregard all of the above if you are married or have a significant other.

Kraschenbirn
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions on ways to upgrade my mental state. Had a half-way decent day on Wednesday so I played a little hookey (fringe benefit of being self-employed and semi-retired) and tossed some gear in the Jeep and headed for range. Temp was in the mid-forties but it was still on the windy side. (Hey, I'm in the central Illinois flatlands...if the wind ain't blowin', the temperature's either below zero or over 95.)

Got over there...it's about a half-hour drive...and found I had the place to myself so I set up the chronograph and spent most of the afternoon test-firing loads for velocity and group size...plus a little out-an'-plinkin'. Got mixed results, as usual...still not at all happy with what I'm seeing from the .38-55 Highwall but was more than satisfied with performance of the '09 Argie and a little surprised...pleasantly...to find loads from the lastest 8# jug of H4895 received from Grafs seems to match the exterior ballistics of the lot I had on hand. Even tried to shoot an entry for our current 50-yd off-hand postal match. (Yeah, sure...15-gusting-to-25 quartering cross-wind and no windbreak behind our elevated firing line? Don' think so!) Anyhow, I got up feeling much better yesterday mornin'.

For those of you who offered to provide components to load (for you), I thank you for your consideration but, if the weather continues to improve (It's 70 deg outside...still windy as Hell but 70 deg!) I doubt if I'll be spendin' much of my free time in the workshop for the next couple of months...got a whole lot of brass to empty out.

Last...for Reddot...wife and I celebrated our 40th anniversary last December but she still frowns upon any suggestion that might involve my travelin' without her to spend time with another lady.

Bill

Freightman
03-06-2009, 04:12 PM
My problem is that our winter was wussier than a new-age Democrat facing down a ten-year old mugger holding a rubber knife and water gun. Was going to wait until late March to trim all the trees I've got. (I hate trees, by the way. They're the reason you have to rake leaves.) But now they're budding out and sending out leaves! [smilie=b:

So, if you're all that bored up there in the frozen Land of Lincoln and really looking for something to do, come on down my way. I got plenty of stuff to do, not enough time to do it, but plenty of good enough weather to do it in.

And bring your guns and ammo--we got plenty of places to shoot around here.

:coffee:
Don't rake leaves here wait and they will be 100 miles away , noticed the NW Texas wind Gage yesterday it was officially windy , what is a NW Texas wind Gage you ask?
A log chain nailed to a post and it aint windy until it stands straight out and pops the links off the end. Thus I don't rake leaves.
PS it was 85 yesterday and the day before and 80 today, Winter is non existent here this year. Any how the one tree we have died last year for like of water. So dry here the catfish are eating the dog food of the back porch.

StarMetal
03-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Don't rake leaves here wait and they will be 100 miles away , noticed the NW Texas wind Gage yesterday it was officially windy , what is a NW Texas wind Gage you ask?
A log chain nailed to a post and it aint windy until it stands straight out and pops the links off the end. Thus I don't rake leaves.
PS it was 85 yesterday and the day before and 80 today, Winter is non existent here this year. Any how the one tree we have died last year for like of water. So dry here the catfish are eating the dog food of the back porch.

They still have that free 72 oz steak dinner if you can eat the whole thing in Amarillo?

Joe

Freightman
03-06-2009, 11:39 PM
They still have that free 72 oz steak dinner if you can eat the whole thing in Amarillo?

Joe
You said it pardner! I haven't ever been that hungry! there was one man who ate two on a row then came back the next day. He is no longer eligible for the deal. Talk about a tummy ache!

Kraschenbirn
03-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Stopped at that steak place...can't recall the name...three or four years ago on our way back from a camping trip in northern NM. Looked at one of those 72 oz'ers (uncooked) and figured two of them, along with a dozen medium baking potatoes, would just about feed one of our block parties.

Bill