PDA

View Full Version : OK to recycle Glock brass?

ghh3rd
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I have been picking up .40 cal brass from the range, some of which was fired in a Glock. Since Glocks have unsupported chambers, will this brass still be usable for reloading?

Thanks,

Granville

robertbank
03-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Short answer is yes. .40cal brass shot from a Glock often has a six o'clock bulge which can present a problem in some guns. The Dillon resizing die does not go down the case as far as a Lee and I strongly recomend the use of a Lee re-sizing die when re-sizing .40cal brass that has been shot out of a Glock.

I have reloaded thousands of rounds of Glock shot brass in both 9MM and .40cal sucessfully.

Take Care

Bob

ghh3rd
03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks Robert - from what you reported I'm glad that I just purchased the Lee set of .40 cal dies. I got them locally and paid more for them because I was too impatient to wait for a backorder, and had just ordered a .40 cal mold that I'm anxious to use and reload.

Granville

ghh3rd
03-03-2009, 06:38 PM
ps - I slipped and called myself Granville on this thread. I have always been Randy here and everywhere else my entire life, although my legal name is Granville. Since there was a Randy right next to me when I started this job, they asked if they could call me Granville, so my work identity is Granville, and everywhere else I'm Randy -- life is complicated :-)

Randy

robertbank
03-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I shoot a 180 gr Lyman bullet. 2.8 gr of Titegroup makes PF for IPSC minor loading for Production. I have had one Win case separate after the 1st reloading and others are on their 5th with no signs of problems. .40cal brass does not last much past five loadings so just keep an eye on the brass and toss as necssary.

Take Care

Bob

JMax
03-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I reload all kinds of 40 range brass. My Glock eats everything but the M&P is very picky so I chamber gauge for that pistol. I use the same load in each.

JW6108
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
My experience with Lee dies for handguns has been limited to .32 ACP and .32 Long, where they have given excellent results. It sounds like robertbank's recommendation on them for the .40 is excellent advice.

I have been using Lyman dies to load .40 since 1995. The majority of the brass I have has been fired from one of my Glocks or one belonging to someone else and I have had no problems, with one minor exception. When I began with it, I would occasionally have a Federal empty that would be enlarged toward the base sufficiently so that the sizing die would throw up a noticeable ridge. These cases were discarded, of course. I have not seen this happen since then, so perhaps it was a batch of brass from the early days that might have been a little on the soft side and/or a load on the warm end of things. Before the brass was so universally available as it is now, I had a limited amount that I was working with. To shorten a long story, I would load them until they split at the mouth upon firing and then trash them, which (if I remember correctly) might take 8 firings or so. I loaded (and still do) starting loads that would reliably function the action and left the high end product to the factory. That has always worked well for me. Good luck.

tenexx
03-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I run a 180gn Lyman boolit over 4.2 grains of WST in my HK USP. Loaded using Lee Dies and factory crimp. The majority of my brass has been fired in Glocks, no problems so far. :-D