PDA

View Full Version : Break-front holsters

Naphtali
03-03-2009, 02:44 PM
I have never owned a strong-side break-front holster. Nor have I seen one. I've been interested to try one fabricated from leather for nearly a year.

The ones I've observed being sold are Bianchi 2700 and 2800 models.
1. What are the differences between these two models?

2. Does Bianchi still make them?

3. Has either holster been made for the "N" frame Smith & Wesson revolvers?
Will either of these holsters for medium frame revolvers fit an "N" frame? That is, does spring's retention allow the larger frame to be safely retained.?

Will four-inch holsters accommodate longer barrels?
Are there other current makers of break-front holsters?

MT Gianni
03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I shot from one once and arrived at the opinion that all my DA revolvers and autos need the same style holster. I use a thumb break for them all, SA can get a strap or top flap but if I draw a pistol to shoot it in a hurrry I want all motions to be the same.

Westwindmike
03-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I carried a 6" Model 29 Smith in a Bianchi break front holster back in the mid 70's. It was a very secure design and unusual looking. You had to draw the gun forward, not up. It was designed to not be snatched from behind. It covered most of the gun and protected the finish well.

Don't know if they still make them. They were expensive and heavy back then. I imagine there is a much better option available now.

Best of luck in your search.

Bret4207
03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
We used to have them for our 681's. They were made by Don Hume. They were fast, or at least for me they were. I'll bet there are lots on the auction sites.

elk hunter
03-03-2009, 07:39 PM
I never used a Bianchi. Several companies made break front holsters. I carried a 4" model 19 in a Hoyt Leather Co. Costa Mesa, Ca. break front for about 15 years. It was both fast and secure. The hard part is reholstering as it usually required two hands. You could work the gun back in with one hand if you got the triggerguard in and then spread the holster with a twisting motion of the gun. Their holster would accdommodate a longer barrel, it just stuck out of the bottom. It looked silly but held the gun. I don't think putting an N frame revolver in a K frame holster would be a real good idea as the front of the holster would gap and I'm not sure it would have the proper grip around the cylinder and frame, but I never tried it. I still have a Hoyt for a 4" N frame that I sometimes pack my mdl 28 smith in.

I would think you could find a used breakfront as there were thousands of them sold as surplus when the auto craze hit in the late 1980's.

Naphtali
03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the information, guys.

If anyone becomes aware of a left-handed break-front for five-inch barrelled "N" frame, I would appreciate you letting me know.

Harry O
03-04-2009, 09:17 AM
I have an old Bianchi break front for a 4" barrel S&W K-frame. It works great with a 4" barrel S&W K-frame. It cannot be pulled out of the holster upward or rearward. However, it is relatively easy to be pulled/pushed forward. I have tried it with a 4" barrel L-frame and it doesn't work very well. So I would doubt very much that a S&W N-frame would work in the most common K-frame holster.

Bianchi probably had some break front holsters for the N-frame since a few police departments used the .357 Magnum N-frame way back when. There were even one or two that used the .41 Magnum N-frame. You will have to find one of those, however. You cannot use the more common K-frame holster.

03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Back in the '70's I used a Bianchi breakfront on my duty rig. Loved it. Couldn't pull it from behind. Protected it from the fairly regular roll-in-the-alley. Deployed in a heartbeat. One of the guys had one of those "Adam 12" spring loaded monstrosities. Great to stand around and drink coffee with. After a few foot chases and down and dirty knuckle bustings, he put his breakfront back on.

TDC
03-16-2009, 12:35 AM
I used breakfront holsters for duty in the late 60's and seventies... I still have them. One is for a four inch 66 and the other a 6 1/2 inch 29. The were both made by the Nelson Leather Company in Scio, Oregon. They functioned perfectly in the same manner as the Bianchi with a stap over the trigger guard that prevented the gun s from being drawn from behind. Their workmanship is superb... certainly at least the equal of Bianchi and Safariland.

I had reason to contact them recently to request a custom made shoulder holster for my new 6 1/2 S&W 500. No other manufacture advertises a holster for that X frame barrel length yet. They made me one that emulates the Bianchi for $79 plus shipping.... got it within two weeks of the order.

As I scanned their website I noticed they still make breakfront holsters for revolvers. It might be worth your while to search their website to see if they could make one exactly to your taste. I can assure you you wouldn't be disappointed.

Their web address is: http://www.nelsonleather.com/

If you'd like to see pictures of my Nelson's I'd be glad to post them, but they're not for sale.....

Terry

HeavyMetal
03-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Break front's can certainly be fast! I used, and still own, probablely the only left handed auto draw holster belt rig they ever made for my 1911. THis is not for sale!

I did check out the nelson web site and can offer two suggestions: First stay away from the swivel break front! If it's not "snapped" it will spin like a tire when you try to draw from it!

Second get a bit of "reverse" angle on it, the idea behind the break front is to use the motion of the draw to get the gun out and on target. If you use a holster with the FBI tilt built into it you'l be dragging the barrel on the ground before you can begin to bring it up on target!

Drop is a matter of your height, build and personnel carry style, another reason I would stay away from the swivel holster. To much drop!

Sadly I suspect when you call that will be the fastest selling holster!

Think hard about what you want and make sure they don't sell you what they want because it's instock! I would also opt for smooth brown leather unless you have a need for something else, this will be a whole lot easier to keep clean than black basket weave and it doesn't shout "I'm a Cop" when you have it on!

TDC
03-16-2009, 05:31 AM
I agree with HeavyMetal.... If you do go to the Nelson website select Law Enforcement ... then holsters, duty, front break. My belt holsters are the model number 81's. Avoid the swivel models because they are intended more for comfort while sitting in a patrol car and loose much of the functionality of the break front because of it. Depending on your choice of style, either the #81 or #82 would be just what you need for the perfect quick draw combat and hunting holster.

I also agree with HeavyMetal on the color choice. The black with basket weave does scream "cop" and that's why I rarely use mine anymore. They are available in right or left hand, black, dark brown, light brown or natural, smooth or tooled basket weave. They are custom built on order and if you communicate with them they can make it any way you wish..... that's what I did with all three of my Nelsons....

Now I've got myself thinking about ordering one for myself in smooth natural or light brown....... they are nice!