PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize these ingots?

Springfield
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I just got these in a pile of lead. Hate to just melt them down if they are something other than just lead.

oldhickory
03-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't know, but they look like they may be metallurgist's test samples. I'm just guessing the numbers are lot numbers to identify the sample for quality controll.

KCSO
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Yep their mine, you can send them to me at....

Sorry never saw anything like that before.

sturf
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I had several that looked like that some years ago. Real soft; almost pure lead.

FN in MT
03-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm far from an Expert here on much...but I can shed some light. They are samples for the Lab. I had a mess of very similar ingots years ago from the lead smelter in East Helena, MT.

99+% pure lead...at least mine were.

FN in MT

Springfield
03-03-2009, 09:14 PM
OK, thanks. These aren't soft enough to be pure lead, I just wanted to make sure they weren't some standard lead and tin mix that was worth something. This board kept me from melting down into bullets some chamber casting lead once.

yarro
03-03-2009, 09:29 PM
They are the lot samples that are sent out with or before with shipments of the large pig type ingots so that the quality can be verified in a lab if necessary without having to hack a chunk off an ingot or send a whole ingot to someone. They are supposed to be from the same pour as the ingots that they are shipped with

-Yarro