PDA

View Full Version : Finished my fowler

waksupi
03-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, I somehow managed to delete the original thread, while trying to do a merge. Here's the pics again.

Rick, yes, I did all the work myself.

Charlie Sometimes
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
That is absolutely beautiful- GREAT JOB.
(Like I needed to tell you that.)

northmn
03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I will sum up my comments. Good job and think its and excellent fowler. Chambers parts are about as good as one can get and has an excellent reputation. Good job on silver inlay and most of us do tend to make general copies of original guns. Tastefully done. Enjoy that gun.

Northmn

docone31
06-30-2009, 09:16 PM
I am impressed! I like the lock work! Scrolls are my weak point.
That is one nice looking rifle.
Well done.

Johnch
06-30-2009, 09:29 PM
WOW !!

I would have gone more for a plain working gun

But you do real classy work

Any guess how many hours you have wraped up in just the stock/carving and inlay ?

John

JeffinNZ
06-30-2009, 11:47 PM
That ain't too..........foul..........

Nice work!!

07-01-2009, 12:08 AM
That is very, very classy! Never got too fancy with my stuff- mostly Early Frontier Plain motif, except for some fancier maple figure. The wire inlay always looked fairly straight forward. But boy oh boy engravng and/or stock carving scared the you know what outa me.

Bigjohn
07-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Impressive! :smile:

Now, go and blood the gun.

Hanshi
07-01-2009, 12:09 PM
That's some craftsmanship! Beautiful and practical.

Maven
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Wow! That's some fine craftsmanship Ric!

Marvin S
07-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Ahhhh that's what a muzzle loader is supposed to look like, wood and steel. Nice.

Freebore
07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Very nice! I like the silver wire inlays. Is it a shooter too?

waksupi
07-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Very nice! I like the silver wire inlays. Is it a shooter too?

It seems to be. I used it to win the World Smoothbore Championship this year.

waksupi
07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
WOW !!

I would have gone more for a plain working gun

But you do real classy work

Any guess how many hours you have wraped up in just the stock/carving and inlay ?

John

John, I really couldn't tell you how many hours. Not all that many. When you start watching your time on a project like this, you tend to rush. When you rush, you don't get as good results.

piwo
07-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Freakin beautiful.. you guys with talent cheese me off......:kidding: ;-)

She really is something special. Mine are more like a Monet paining: better looking from a distance! :mrgreen:

Dean D.
07-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Looking great Ric! :mrgreen:

I have seen this fowler in person and witnessed it's accuracy. Ric has done an amazing job building it. Before seeing this gun I would not have considered building one for myself, but now... :roll:[smilie=1::drinks: Guess what may be on my list? [smilie=1:

Thanks for sharing Pard.

44man
07-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Well, I somehow managed to delete the original thread, while trying to do a merge. Here's the pics again.

Rick, yes, I did all the work myself.
OH MY, I just came to take a look and I am impressed with the wonderful work. My hat is off to you. [smilie=w:
My best long rifle took 6 months of every spare minute. Many hours spent with paper and pencil for carving and stock shape too. But I made my rifles from a plank of wood, 2 weeks just to fit a swamped barrel.
When I see the beautiful flow of the inlays, I am doubly impressed and know the work that went into just the design.
VERY nice rifle!

skeet1
07-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm very impressed with your workmanship. Now it's time to go bird hunting.

Skeet1

RayinNH
07-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Is there a group buy in the offing?

I'm working on a rifle kit and am scared to death of cutting the back of the stock off to start inletting the butt plate. Nice work Ric...Ray

waksupi
07-05-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm working on a rifle kit and am scared to death of cutting the back of the stock off to start inletting the butt plate. Nice work Ric...Ray

Don't let it intimidate you, Ray. It is inletting, just like any other piece you do on the firearm. The only caveat is, I would stay away from the fowler type buttplates like is on this one, until you get some experience under your belt. You are working on a lot of different planes and angles to get these right. A regular flat 90 degree type plate is relatively easy, just use your inletting black ( I use axle grease) to show you what to take away.

44man
07-05-2009, 02:03 PM
If you want to be scared, have a friend bring over a rifle and a $350 piece of wood for a custom stock and he also wants it checkered.
No amount of money can make up for the labor and worry. Then some guys want the gun yesterday! :confused:
I have had fun sitting some friends at a checkering cradle with scrap in it, handing them some tools and telling them to go to it, it is EASY!
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

missionary5155
07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Good afternoon
That is one fine looking smokepole ! THANKS FOR POSTING IT ! again !!!!

buckweet
12-26-2009, 10:23 PM
wow . wow.wow.wow.wpow........

TCLouis
12-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Ric

Not sure what happened in the photos, but there is a big hunk of rock right where one would put the 209 primer.

In all seriousness, that is a pretty piece and any grouse should be proud to fall from a shot with it.

The wire work among the grain of a pretty piece of wood is stunning