PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Tools

KCSO
04-07-2005, 11:25 AM
I recently came across a small box full of Ideal ads and instructions for the #1 and #4 Reloaders. This is from the 1890's and includes an ad for the latest 1899 Powder measure. I also have a How to Cast Bullets by Barlow. These are sacnned as Jpg files and if anyone is interested I will e mail them out. I am also curious as to what Japan Wax is as Barlow says that is a good bullet lubricant. Barlow says that casting should be done with "good buckskin gloves". I loaded 50 rounds last night with a #1 tool and this sure makes you appreciate a turret press.

StarMetal
04-07-2005, 11:28 AM
ksco

Japan was is a pale yellow solid wax obtained from the berries of certain plant species of the genus Rhus and used in wax matches, soaps, and food packaging and as a substitute for beeswax.

Joe

wills
04-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Why not post them on the Yahoo Cast Bullet group Waksupi set up? It is underutilized and would be a good place to put reference material.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castbullets/

beagle
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm sure floodgate will be happy to correspond with you on these as he's the local Ideal guru.

He sure helped me out when I started messing with 310 tool stuff a while back as a result of one of these "going out of business" boxes.

He's always looking for pictures and brocures.

I just sized some bullets using the old 310 tool method after about 4o years of not having done so and it works jsut as good as the newer methods but it is messy.

Sounds as if you got a box of joy there./beagle

carpetman
04-07-2005, 12:37 PM
all I know about japan is that it is a drying agent used in varnishes etc.. Notice I used lower case j? That is correct when referring to this japan.

wills
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
http://www.cyberlipid.org/wax/wax0001.htm

http://www.cross-century.com/english/prod/zgcl.htm

KCSO
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks
I'll try and post this stuff on the site.
Carpetman
Japan wax as wriiten by Barlow in 1890, I just figured he knew as I had never heard of it.
I thought some of this stuff was interesting, "Never heat the mold by immersing in hot bullet metal" "The cherry should be the last metal to ever touch mould blocks" "when the mold becomes uncomfortable to handle dip in a water pail up to the handle joint"

waksupi
04-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Why not post them on the Yahoo Cast Bullet group Waksupi set up? It is underutilized and would be a good place to put reference material.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castbullets/

Good idea, Wills. There is a lot of storage space there.

Paul B
04-07-2005, 03:35 PM
OK, now that we've determined what japan wax is, how about that important ingredient using in lubing bullets called "plumbago"? FWIW, I know what it is. Just curious to how many others do?
I used to have a list somewhere that told what a lot of these things were and what they are called now, but plumbago is the only one I remember.
Paul B.

Bret4207
04-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Re- Castpics. FWIW I visit the sight at least once or twice a week it seems looking up mould numbers for auctions. There's a lot of good info there and I'd like to both recommend the newbies stop by and thank all those involved who keep it up and operating. Good job and thanks.

Wayne Smith
04-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Japan wax, closest modern equivelant being Bayberry wax, from what I've read.

Plumbago I don't know.

Finn45
04-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Awschit; I've already figured out that I can buy Carnauba wax as a flake or block and that I don't even need it in pure form, is it not good enough anymore? And now I have to search for Japan wax? Does car wax for my Japanese kid-hauler suffice? Is there any usages for more common stuff like ear wax? I've heard hippies weave pullovers from navel lint, very economical. Plumbago is Latin for some plant species, lead flower or leadwort or smthng. Black pencil lead or graphite is plumbago also? No? Damn we had a pug some time ago; I could have made a fortune selling surplus ear wax for frugal bullet casters. Probably used it all by myself like any other secret incredient, though.

:mrgreen:

Finn45
04-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Umm... this was nice thread until I stopped it? I'm feeling baaaad now. Well, I hope ya'll are not taking me too seriously. I've been a bit restless some time now because of the worst cabin fever ever and I don't have any ****ing medication for it. And I wasn't very serious really. And no cats were harmed or injured during the word processing. Sad but true.

shooter575
04-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Umm... this was nice thread until I stopped it? I'm feeling baaaad now.
================================================== ==
Finn, Dont worry about that now. I was lucky because I had my feelings surgicaly removed as a child. Made it easyer to grow up. I think? and it is needed on this BB
That Cabin fever in your neck of the woods must last till June? How is your weather?

wills
04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
So, what is plumbago?

drinks
04-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Ignoring the 4 species of plants that are called that, plumbago, in the contex of reloading, is likely "An allotropic form of carbon, also called black lead".
Best I can do.
Don

Urny
04-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Common graphite?

Ernie

Buckshot
04-10-2005, 02:05 AM
..............Gee, and all this time I thought Plumbago was a type of arthritis. I would suspect if cabin fever was as serious ailment, living close to the arctic circle would make it tough on a guy.

.................Buckshot

Finn45
04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
That Cabin fever in your neck of the woods must last till June? How is your weather?

Getting better day by day. Today I was ice fishing with 3/4 of the kids. No big catch, just some for the cat... Checked the range also; I was able to get almost there.

350mag
04-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Finn45,
I feel for you but no real sympathy since I am suffering the same thing. I did get out and shoot the 45Lc the other day to create some empties so I have something to reload. I will be able to ride the snowmobile for another 3 weeks or so until the Yukon starts to break up. The good nws is that the geese should be here soon for the spring bird hunting season. I heard tthey were near Fairbanks last week so should be here about 2 weeks after that. I don't have a shotgun out here so I am not really sure what to hunt them with. Maybe the 06 with the Lee soup can will work, or I will just use a .22.
Ken