PDA

View Full Version : lucky find

robroy
03-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi folks. I'm new to this phase of reloading and this board. I've been lurking a bit, reading stickies and other threads.

I set out to find a ladle to use in preparing ingots from WW. What I found was a pair of ladles, 2 plumber's pots, 2 OLD propane cylinders with odd fittings and a burner attached to one of the tanks that fit the pots just fine. As a bonus there was about 25 or 30 # of lead in the 2 pots. I got this lot of stuff for $60.

There is even about 15 # of propane in the tank that is holding the burner. The odd fittings bring me to my question. Is there a convienient way to convert the valving on the old tanks to those required to refill the tanks today? The fittings appear to be die-cast aluminum the OD of which is 3"with about 16 TPI (I didn't use a pitch gage, just a tape layed across the threads at an awkward angle). The burner threads onto thisOD. The ID is about 7/8" and about the same pitch. The center of the burner threads into this part of the fitting. On the bottom of the thing there appears to be a 3/4 NPT thread that goes into the cylinder. In between the burner attachment and the tank are the valve and vent.

I'll post pictures when I can. I hope the above discription gives you enough information to give me some help.

azcoyhunter
03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I think I would swap the tanks for new ones, and go from there.

Not knowing how old they are, I would worry about the safety factor.

Nice that you found lead :)

HeavyMetal
03-02-2009, 10:36 PM
It depends on the age of the tank itself.

LP tanks, even the B B Q ones, are supposed to be pressure tested evey 5 or 10 years I forget which. If you find someone to sell you the parts to convert your tank yourself ( good luck with that) You'll still need someone to look at it and make sure the correct fittings are bought.

You will then need to empty the tank and purge it before you remove any fittings. These may have been sealed on so they may be a bit of work to get off.

I think you need to post Pic's before you go any further. It is possible the 3 inch fitting you describe is also the fill fitting such as the quick release ones used on fork lifts.

Most u hauls are set up with this type fitting, you may also find the inner part of that fitting is cut for a B B Q type filler as well but I doubt it from your description, but check anyway.

You've got all the right stuff now you just need to get it to work for you!

Be aware that a new LP tank is about 130 cost plus mark up at any LP facility Maybe it would be better to start off with a new 8 gallon tank??

Just some thoughts.

454PB
03-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Where I live, the propane suppliers won't fill the old outmoded bottles. I'd suggest you build some adaption to use the burner with modern bottles.

mikenbarb
03-02-2009, 11:04 PM
You have a standard plumber pot valve which you can still purchase from any good propane supply company. Rego valve still makes them and repair parts for them also. Or try Sherwood valve if no luck with Rego.The female end on that old plumber pot valve is a standard propane left handed fitting that can be filled anywhere BBQ propane tanks are filled with no adaptor needed. Just screw the connection into the top of the valve. Just screw your hose in and make sure you turn the nut left.LOL. The LP tanks are good for 12 years from initial manufacture date unless their hydro or visual tested after that. A hydro test will have a 4 digit code in between the month and year and a 5 yr visual test will have a letter "E" following the date. Most plumber pot valves have a built in flow restrictor that will not let it empty fast and will check themselvs if flow becomes to high for preventing fires. The vent on the rear of valve is for excess pressure or overfills and will safely drain the excess pressure so the tank dont let loose(DO NOT TOUCH THIS OR TRY TO ADJUST IT, ITS A SEALED UNIT). The top burner unscrews off the valve with standard RH threads and if its seized get a brass or lead hammer and whack it a few good times on the neck of the burner and it should loosen up. A new 20lb cylinder is around 25-30 bucks at Wal-Mart.
PS- Propane valves are ONLY made of cast or machined brass except for special applications or pressurized HP use(Aluminum and steel spark and hold static). The tank threads are standard 3/4"NPT. (I ran a large propane company for a long time.)
Hope this helps some.

jmar254
03-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I'd take the tank to Lowes, Home Depot or whoever does the bottle exchanges and swap them, you'll have full REFILLABLE bottles.

Dale53
03-03-2009, 01:07 AM
mikenbarb has the correct information (as you would expect since he was a professional in the trade). I had several of the older propane tanks when the change occurred. Walmart exchanged them for just a few bucks more than their normal tank exchange. I got brand new tanks with the NEW fittings for just a few bucks apiece more (it has been a while but I think it was only about $4.00 per tank extra).

Dale53

Bret4207
03-03-2009, 08:23 AM
As I understand it, it's only the consumer grade stuff that required the changes. The pro grade cylinders still use the older style fittings and can be refilled if you go to a refill station and not just attempt to change the tank. Find a real porpane supplier and you should have no issues.

robroy
03-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Can these valves be transfered from the old tanks to which they are now attached to new tanks?

high standard 40
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
In Louisiana once a cylinder reaches a certain age it must be discarded. It can't be refilled.

mikenbarb
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Rob, The only way to have that valve installed into a new cylinder safely is to take it to a L.P. Testing facility with a valve installing machine. Their all torqued to spec and if overtightened they could crack and let loose on the filler and possibly resulting in death or serious injury. Dont chance it and just order a new cylinder with the plumbers pot valve. Any good LP supply place will order one for you. Their not cheap and the valve alone is over 70 bucks. They can also be rebuilt for around 20-30 bucks by the same type of place.
Industrial tanks dont need a QDP type valve and a old style valve can still be used IF its an industrial application and the tank is in test. Testing is a Federal law under the N.C.G.A.(National Compressed Gas Association) standards and every L.P. dealer has to go by the laws. Hope that helps.

robroy
03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Mike, What determiones "industrial application" The owner of the equipment or the type of equipment?

mikenbarb
03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Rob, The type of equipment and what its being used for. A plumbers pot valve is considered industrial even if used in a a non commercial application because theirs no way to non industrialize that type of valve and still get the flow needed for melting lead.

steg
03-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Make sure that you check the dates on any tanks that you swap out at wally world, one weekend my tank ran out, the only option was wally world, so I swapped it for one of their blue rhino specials, thinking I was getting a new tank in the deal, well when that tank ran out I took it to a refilling station and found the tank was out of date, so be careful there...steg

Dale53
03-26-2010, 10:35 PM
One thing I have noticed about the cylinder exchanges - you don't really get a full cylinder. If you don't believe me, check the actual net weight of propane. I have a local supplier. He charges me a flat fee to fill my tank plus a per gallon charge. I can safely go there for a partial tank (and only get charged with what I buy plus the flat fee) or get a full tank if mine is empty.

Just something to think about.

Dale53

Irascible
03-09-2016, 10:46 PM
Here's a company that sells a stand which attatches to a std propane tank and will mount your plumbers pot
http://www.circlemfg.com/plmbers_melting_furnaces.htm

Fishman
03-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Six years later lol.

LuckyDog
03-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Six years later lol.
At least someone is using the search function..
:)

ASM826
03-31-2016, 11:52 AM
Pushed it back to the top where I got to read it, too.