PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Dot 4 scope base for a 629?

Down South
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I’ll be mounting a 30mm Ultra Dot Four on my S&W 629 Classic. I’m looking at scope base options. I see that Warne makes M629S base that fits but it’s sort of pricy. Are there any other base options that are somewhat cheaper or do I need to spend the extra bucks?

doghawg
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I recently bought a used 586 that had the front sight ground down. I didn't pay a lot for it and it seemed to want to shoot so decided to have it drilled and tapped. I mounted a Weigand base and swiped a scope from one of my other guns. I think you'd be pleased with the Weigand on your Smith...they come silver or blue.

Down South
03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
I looked at the Weigand earlier today and I notice it's made out of aluminum. I'm wondering if it will hold up to the recoil of a full house 44 Mag round? I may have to give up being a cheapskate on a base and buy the Warne.
I did order the Ultra Dot Four today and it’s supposed to be able to handle the 44.

I recently bought a used 586 that had the front sight ground down. I didn't pay a lot for it and it seemed to want to shoot so decided to have it drilled and tapped. I mounted a Weigand base and swiped a scope from one of my other guns. I think you'd be pleased with the Weigand on your Smith...they come silver or blue.

doghawg
03-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Down South

In my opinion you'll be well served with your Ultradot...one of mine is doing well on a .475 Linebaugh. I also believe you'd do well with a Weigand base...They are NOT a cheap pot metal base...but that's your call. I may be biased because of one bad experience with a Warne base on an X-frame .500 Smith. It's a long story and they made it right...after a while. I would recommend some other rings than the supplied Ultradot rings though.....Those ARE some cheap little aluminum/butter alloy critters.

Here are some Warne rings on a BFR (aluminum) base mounted on a .475. Their base also holds up well on a .500 BFR. FWIW

crabo
03-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Weigands hold up fine on a 44 mag. Just put it on with blue LocTite. I like them a lot. You'll like the Ultradot 4 also.

Dale53
03-03-2009, 01:34 AM
Here is a VERY nice alternative:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/smwenfrstmon.html

These are very nicely priced, are made and finished well of stainless steel that is a good match to the stainless Smith and use the rear sight recess
as the recoil lug. These will withstand the heaviest recoil with no shear on the screws. You WILL want to use blue locktite on the screws. I have several of these installed.

They just bolt right on after removing the rear sight if the barrel is longer than 4". If you have a 4" barrel, you will have to relieve it where it bridges the front sight base. We are talking just a few thousands with a file in a hidden location on the base - small potatoes... The longer barrels have plenty of clearance.

There is ONE possible problem - CDNN has a flat rate shipping charge. If you load up on several items, it is ok. It may be a bit steep for a single base. Check before you order.

Dale53

Down South
03-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the info folks.
I forgot all about CDNN. I’ve ordered from them several times in the past. I used to deal with a guy named Marshall. My barrel length is 5” so the the B-Square base shouldn’t be a problem and I ordered it. There was only a couple bucks difference between the Weigand base even with the high shipping charge.

I would recommend some other rings than the supplied Ultradot rings though.....Those ARE some cheap little aluminum/butter alloy critters.

Now I'd to get a three ring set like Crabo has.

oldhickory
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I think the one I have is a B-Square, it seems to work fine and I didn't give a lot for it.