PDA

View Full Version : Broken shell holder

sundog
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeppers, broke a shell holder. Lee 30 carbine. Last night, just like that.

So, I go to my friendly gun shop at lunch today (extended lunch hour, doncha know - I've got a nice coushy retirment job) to get a shell holder. Yup, the got them, RCBS. I was talkin' ta one of the regular guys what works in there, you know, whatch loadin', yeah, I load that too, yadda, yadda. Seems he shoots cast in an M1 carbine also. I mention to him that I broke a shell holder, first one in 40 years of hand loading. He says, yeah, me too. So we get to talking and he says he's sending a mold (not for carbine) back to Lee for some reason and gonna stick the shell holder in with it. Holder was for M1 carbine and it broke in the same spot exaclty as mine. Past of the rim holder broke off. Just that it was coincidentle enough to report....

monadnock#5
03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I had been thinking that an extra set of Lee shell holders might make a wise investment. Now I'm sure of it. Thanks.

afish4570
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Broke mine too about 20 yrs. ago. Ended up buying complete set of Lee Shell holders and an RCBS tool to remove cartridges stuck in die. Not enough lube was the cause and its the only one I ever broke.afish4570:roll::roll:

Trapshooter
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
I joined this club a couple years ago, too. I was in too big a hurry to read the directions, and since it was a carbide die, I didn't lube the cases. The first shell came out of the die pretty hard. Oh well, what do you expect from cheap Lee dies & press!! The second one got the shell holder. Then I had more than a week to read the directions, and watch the Kroil work, while waiting for the new shell holder to come in. A little Imperial, and it was a whole different ball game!

Trapshooter

mooman76
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I broke one a few years ago. I believe it was for the 30c but not 100% sure. The rim chipped like you said. There is allot of stress on it even being carbide. I put some lube on a few of the shells when sizing and it works allot smoother. I also sent it back to Lee and had a replacement withing a week no questions asked. I bought a set of shell holders long ago and the dies come with one so I have quite a few extras.

Mk42gunner
03-03-2009, 01:12 AM
I have broken a few Lee shell holders for .43 Spanish; looking at them I figured there wasn't enough metal surrounding the rim cutout. I wouldn't think it was possible to break one in 30 Carbine.

Robert

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Does Lee replace them for free?

TAWILDCATT
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
well I was going to say operator error but you all admited to it.lube any way.:coffee:[smilie=1:

mooman76
03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Does Lee replace them for free?

They do if you send it back with a note saying that you bought it within the past 2 years.

Shiloh
03-09-2009, 08:21 PM
They do if you send it back with a note saying that you bought it within the past 2 years.

Good to know. Thanks!!

Shiloh