PDA

View Full Version : O/T FLECHETTE 12ga?

rufracer
03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Nevermind.

mtnman31
03-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I've never heard of anyone having success with the reloading of flechettes. From all I have read (no practical experience) the flechettes don't carry enough mass to be effective on most targets and they tend to group very poorly. If you crack the nut on how to get some successful loads with this, please spread the knowledge. I'd be very interested in a way to load these up and have them shoot worth a darn. Good luck.

jh45gun
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
After hearing the discourageing reports here I sold back my fletchettes to the guy I bought them from I figured it was not worth the bother to mess with them. Buckshot and ball loads are easier to mess with.

JeffinNZ
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
If you search the site there was a post about these a while back. I am sure someone suggested such loads were illegal on US soil.

e15cap
03-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I believe that is a felony.

EMC45
03-05-2009, 06:42 AM
IIRC the fletchettes are to be sold as a collector's item. Any attempt to "weaponize" them is a violation of the law. I believe that's how it's written out.

rufracer
03-13-2009, 03:47 PM
OOOOKK. So I wont be loading any of these up. I had no idea it was illegal.

briang
03-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I've seen flechette rounds for sale before on some website. I don't remember where.

acemedic13
03-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I bought some awhile back already loaded........ I also shot some reloaded rounds with them.They load funky and dont shoot great.

slvrwraith
10-22-2009, 03:22 AM
:killingpc

OK...

First, they are not illegal to load or shoot (at least not in any state I've ever purchased them in. They ARE illegal under Geneva conventions due to the fact that the darts twist upon soft tissue penetration causing them to literally "cork-screw" willy-nilly throughout the target mass without a significant wound cavity, thereby causing MASSIVE internal damage and often times a long, AGONIZING death.

Second, I purchase a 5 pack every time I go to the gun show (unless the vendor is absent the show).

Third, you load them point-in (tip of dart pointing at wad column), but you need to place a metal cup (I used an upholstery brad) in the bottom of the shot cup (if loading 1.5" darts, standard 1 1/8 cup, your choice) to help prevent the flechettes from embedding into the wad.

Fourth, flechettes were designed to penetrate dense foliage within 20-30 meters as a way to defeat tree top snipers. SHORT RANGE, moderate spread to engage a target concealed by leaves and brush. You won't likely hit much smaller than a Buick at ranges beyond 50m.

peter nap
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=slvrwraith;697255]:killingpc

OK...

First, they are not illegal to load or shoot (at least not in any state I've ever purchased them in. They ARE illegal under Geneva conventions due to the fact that the darts twist upon soft tissue penetration causing them to literally "cork-screw" willy-nilly throughout the target mass without a significant wound cavity, thereby causing MASSIVE internal damage and often times a long, AGONIZING death.

That;s 100% correct. I've loaded a few but to be honest, I can't think of any real use for them.

Mot people buy them thinking they'll penetrate body armor. I doubt they will and to be honest, in 60 years, I haven't shot a Deer wearing Body Armor.:kidding::kidding:

If someone just has to make a slug to go through vests, drill the lug and embed an arrow target tip. That might actually be illegal some places so check local laws.

Bloodman14
12-14-2009, 09:35 PM
A company called "FireQuest" just sent me a catalog with ALL KINDS of shotgun ammo, including 'flechettes'. Neat catalog!

blaster
12-14-2009, 10:58 PM
These guys sell what seem to be legit felechette shells http://www.antipersonnel.net/sdllc/index.html
Too expensive for me though. I talked to the HI-VEL people that also make felehette (dragon farts, thumbtack rounds, bolo rounds etc) shells but theirs seem to be low on performance.

SHORTY 1919 TODD
12-18-2009, 07:58 PM
I bought a saiga shotgun from a guy off local classified ads and he had some "Professionally loaded" commercial flechettes. He said it ruined the barrel of the gun and he had replaced it after the fins apparently went through the wad and galled the barrel. The gun runs like a top with the new barrel.
The British army did some testing about 100 years ago and determined that 00buck is the most effective 12ga ammo. Because it would average 3 out of 9 pellets on target at 70yards and retained a lot of energy. 000buck carries more energy farther but it only averaged 1 pellet on target at 70 yards. The other end of the spectrum 4buck runs out of steam quicker and although it is effective at close range most of the police after action reports concerning failure to stop an assailant after their shotgun was discharged involve 4buck.
Birdshot for HD??? I will go along with you if you reason that you want to reduce collateral damage in a residential neighborhood with 4buck Ok, but........let us not get ridiculous with birdshot. the energy in a shell is transmitted in each individual pellet that is decelerating much faster the lighter it is. If my families life is at risk I am not going to rely on something that will maim without making it to vital organs. just my 2cents.
merry Christmas.

Willbird
01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
The weight of a full charge of flechettes is only a small fraction of the payload a shotgun is designed to carry. I even nested 28 gauge wads inside 20 gauge wads (I was trying them in an old bolt action 20 gauge) and the fins STILL cut both wads.

flechettes were probably most effective in an artillery gun when used against "human wave" attacks, I have been told they also used them in recoiless rifles, so if you can fire a 5 gallon bucket full of them every shot they might do some damage, but a thimble full is not enough :-).

Bill

Rocky Raab
01-04-2010, 12:59 PM
We also had 2.75" rocket warheads with flechettes in 'Nam. The warhead burst at motor burnout, after which the flechettes (many hundreds of them!) spread out, much like a shotgun pattern. They were packed such that half were point on and half point back - not only to pack better but also because the fin-forward ones spread out more in flight after they flipped over.

They came in two sizes, with the smaller "nails" for personnel and the larger ones for (in theory) cargo vehicles. Regrettably, we used the larger ones for four-legged "cargo vehicles" in Cambodia. I have killed both water buffalo and elephants being used as pack animals by the NVA. It was not pleasant, and I will regret the need to do so for as long as I live.

Jim
01-04-2010, 01:10 PM
http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb?root&GENMENU67&object-menu6