PDA

View Full Version : Rowell Bottom pouring ladle

kendall yates
03-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Has anyone used the #6 or #7 ladle?? Any input would be great because I'm thinking about ordering one. Any ideas who sells them the cheapest??

45nut
03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Our vendor Rotometals sells Rowell ladles, we can get a 10% discount thru march by mentioning Cast Boolits Discount to Ryan or putting "Cast Boolits" in the area for codes in checkout I believe.

Maybe we ought to run a group buy?

supv26
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I have one that appears to be a Lyman ladle. It's not a bottom pour but it has a small spout on it and pours from the bottom of the ladle.

link to a picture of one like one (http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/casting-dipper.php)

BABore
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
You didn't say what you intended to use the ladle for, A Rowell #6 or #7 ladle will be fine for pouring ingots, but that's about it. A #1 ladle is great for casting boolits out of 4-6 cavity molds. Works best on pistol boolits or those that aren't much bigger that 250 grain and 3/4 inch long. File a vee in the spout with a triangular file for a finer pour. Longer, bigger boolits seem to suffer fillout problems unless the sprue hole is quite large.

kendall yates
03-02-2009, 06:35 AM
You didn't say what you intended to use the ladle for, A Rowell #6 or #7 ladle will be fine for pouring ingots, but that's about it. A #1 ladle is great for casting boolits out of 4-6 cavity molds. Works best on pistol boolits or those that aren't much bigger that 250 grain and 3/4 inch long. File a vee in the spout with a triangular file for a finer pour. Longer, bigger boolits seem to suffer fillout problems unless the sprue hole is quite large.

I will be pouring large ingots with it

montana_charlie
03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
If you have enough of a pot to use a #7 Rowell, it seems you could fill your ingot moulds by just dipping them in the pot...and skip the ladle.

Of course, you didn't really define 'large'...
CM