PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Surprise

BruceB
04-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Being a S&W revolver junkie, there's no shortage of wonderful blue-steel revolvers to which I'd love to give house room. My wife and daughter have just reduced the potential list by one.

I came home this morning to find a birthday card containing a print-out of an advertisement from Gunsamerica. It says:

"Smith and Wesson Model 19-3.......4" barrel, square butt...Very strong case-hardened colors on both trigger and hammer. Factory Goncalo Alves target stocks, perfect condition. Made in 1976, near mint, overall condition 99%..."

Under the print-out the girls wrote, "It's paid for, and on the way." It may even arrive here today with any luck.

Woohoooooo!!!!!!!!

About five years ago, I bought a used Safariland left-hand cop holster for a 4" K-frame, just because I KNEW there'd be one coming along to fit it. Now, it has so transpired.....but the photo shows a pistola far too nice to be rubbed white in a holster! What to do, what to do? (Problems like this are pretty danged pleasant!)

I love N-frames, but having nothing shorter than 6" in the .357 flavor, I've been agonising about the 'missing' 4" gun being on a K or N platform. That question is now solved.

StarMetal
04-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Bruce

Congraduations!!! I have one of those, same exact thing. Great great gun and great shooting. I'm not a big fan of the 357 and the only reason I've kept is that the darn things shoots fantastic. It's a right handy package too, not too big nor heavy. It had become one of my favorite revolvers. Speaking about your love of Smiths, my best friend reminds me of my young and foolish statement I made many moons ago that I would never own a double action revolver...boy was I wrong.

Joe

NVcurmudgeon
04-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Bruce, Happy birthday and congratulations on filling one more unsightly gap in your S&W collection. You are very fortunate in having a wife and daughter
who are such great gift shoppers. It's always a good move to buy a holster for a hoped-for pistol, I did that recently with a harmonious outcome. I wonder if Safariland can line a holster after the fact at an unprohibitive cost? My Kit Gun rides in a Safariland with the pool table green suede (?) leather they used around 1970 and still looks good. It has barely perceptible bluing wear on the muzzle and front sight. Regards, Bill

9.3X62AL
04-07-2005, 11:20 AM
As many of you know, I share Bruce's fondness for the Smith and Wesson marque. A lot of that comes from 27 years of service with at least one of their products on board, and such things build trust.

The Model 19 series was THE service gun at the time I got into law enforcement. Many deputies had all three barrel lengths--2.5" for off duty/plainclothes, 4" for uniform duty, and 6" for target and sporting use.

The caveats about heavy loads are probably a good idea in these K-frames. The 1930's-era Elmer Keith and Douglas Wesson loads (158 grainers at 1450 FPS) are a bit much for these platforms, but the more genteel present-day factory load levels are very usable. These Run about 1150-1200 FPS in the 4" tube.

I had a M-66 x 6" for a time, and fed it Lyman #358156's at around 1000 FPS and #358477's at about the same velocity, put up in 357 Magnum cases. These shot well, and were all-day-long loads in these lighter 357's.

I'll be off the board for a few days, heading to Las Vegas for a few days of fun.

fourarmed
04-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Bruce, I have one of those gems. I never could see why a 6-shot .357 had to weigh a ton and fill a bushel. I recently started shooting the 358429 in it with 6.0/Unique. This gives just under 1000 fps, and with one sight setting, I can hold belly on the 25 yd. field/hunter pistol chicken, ditto on the 50 yard pig, then hold center on the 75 yd. turkey.

MT Gianni
04-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Bruce Congratulations, I had a 19-3 in nickel [ known as the pimp gun], that I traded away in a fit of ignorance for a hi-capacity 9mm ruger before Pres Clinton closed that door. The buyer just grins when I talk of buying it back. Gianni.

Urny
04-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Congratulations, Bruce. Your ladies do know how to throw a party.

Your message reminds me of my only Model 19, also a 4", that I bought from a Boulder, CO, cop named Kirby. No other name, first, middle, or otherwise that I was aware of, just Kirby. This was in late '74 or early '75 when we lived in Broomfield. This fine implement had been customised by Fred Sadowski of 300 Gunsmithing, Denver, and had the whole treatment of that time to include Fuzzy Farrant combat grips. What a lovely piece that was. Kirby wanted $125 for it, and he got it. Sold it for the same amount to finance my move back to California, what a wise trade that was. With full power .357 factory loads it was a handful, so mostly saw Winchester 125 grain hollow point .38's in my hands. I want it back.

45nut
04-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Bruce Congratulations, I had a 19-3 in nickel [ known as the pimp gun], that I traded away in a fit of ignorance for a hi-capacity 9mm ruger before Pres Clinton closed that door. The buyer just grins when I talk of buying it back. Gianni.

I have one of those Nickled 19's and there will be NO selling it back to the previous owner here!
A Wonderful revolver,I bought a set of the Crimson Trace Laser-grips for $35.00 at a gun-store bankruptcy sale and it makes for a wonderful house gun under any conditions as well as a great traveling piece. Only my Colt Det.Special see's more travel. {also purchased from the same fellow}
I am certainly a fan of the pre-sellout Smith & Wessons,my 625 is nearly as handsome as my Randall Service Model. Not nearly as easy to keep track of the Randall brass however.
Congrats to Bruce,Looking forward to sending a few boolits down range next month with you.

Buckshot
04-09-2005, 07:17 AM
...............Well dang Bruce! Those wimmin a yorn sure knows what makes the ole man happy. I have to use a yellow highlighter in a catalog and hand it to'em or I get shorts and socks[smilie=p:

...............Buckshot

Bret4207
04-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Happy B-day and congrats. 358156/12-13.5 2400 in magnum brass and have fun. That is one of two revolver bullets worth the hassle of gas checking.

BruceB
04-12-2005, 11:49 PM
The 19-3 arrived last here Friday, after we'd taken-off at 0215 to visit my Dad in San Diego. We spent a pleasant weekend in California, for sure, but always in the back of my mind was the thought of this S&W arriving in Winnemucca. We arrived home at ANOTHER 0215 last night, and found that Ace Hardware had left a message on my machine, telling me it had shown up on schedule.

Picked 'er up this morning, driving Der Schuetzenwagen just in case, because all the ammo, cleaning gear, tools etc etc are always on board.

The gun is simply gorgeous. Both trigger pulls are about flawless, the finish is as-advertised at 99%, and it SHOOTS. The first workout was on clay targets at around forty yards, and once I cranked the sight down a good bit the impacts were right on the money. I had .38 loads with 358156/4.5 231 no gaschecks, and .357 loads with 358156/14.0 2400 also no gaschecks. The loads shot very cleanly, with practically no fouling visible after 150 rounds. Clean-up was extremely quick and easy.

Just looking at this revolver, I find that it shares something with an as-issued 1911A1, IMO.....there's not a SINGLE LINE on this gun that can be changed without detracting from its appearance. Whew...a gun that looks like a million bucks and shoots to match its looks! Doesn't get much better than that.

It really is too pretty to inflict the rigors of holster carry upon it. However, a nice 66 would be nice to have, too...

.357s sure are nice revolvers. Some serious power is available if needed, but without beating-up the shooter or the gun. Cast bullets work perfectly in the cartridge, as well.

454PB
04-13-2005, 12:36 AM
So is this a pimp gun? I bought it in the early 80's, it's pinned and recessed.

9.3X62AL
04-13-2005, 01:22 AM
I've said it a bunch of times on the board--there is no handgun platform that does more things well than a 4" D/A 357 Magnum. It may not be THE BEST in a given venue, but it will do creditably in the hunting fields--the target range--and (God forbid) if finality gets exchanged with an armed aggressor.

Congrats on the acquisition, Bruce.

wills
04-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Well, don’t just talk about it, lets see pictures!

sundog
04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Way to go Brucey! The women in your life are treasures. And I certainly agree with Deputy Al's opinion on a good .357 wheel gun. Great for ALL ocassions. And if the .357 is not your cup of tea, go check Duke's comments on the 'Mould for a .44 Spl' thread. One of my favorite guns in my stable is a slicked up, second-hand (from a cop shop), Mdl 13 S&W. Ly 358156 w/GC over 10.0/HS7 is just the dandiest load a feller could put together for it. sundog

Griff
05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Good looking arm. Congrats. My 1st duty gun was a Mdl 19-3. Loved it, hated keeping it in the holster, and hated cleaning it after that DIRTY practice/qualifying ammo they gave us. Traded it off for a Mdl. 65 that I carried for over 16 years. Still have it, still shoot it - Gotta luv them Smith 19 platforms.

sundog
05-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Well, Bruce, apparently you are not the onliest one with a good woman. Mine called from a garage sale Friday and asked if I wanted a NIB Vaqero in 45 Colt. Sure, says I. Well, what I got after a little hagglin' was it and a very mildly used Redfield 2-7 scope, unseen for a pitence compared to it's value, all sight unseen by me. Got home and was rewarded with a nice little treasure -- 4 5/8 blued, color case frame, and pearlite grips. Shot it with 4 cobbled together rounds (that's the onliest brass I have until the rest arrives Monday with a set of dies) a few times and then again yesterday with a box of Rem factory lead loads my SIL had lying around for who know how long (and graciously donated the brass for furture endeavors as he does not have a 45 Colt). Lucky me to have a good woman! My birthday was this week. sundog