PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Mold Handles - Lyman Molds

30yrcaster
01-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Hello,

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I can't find anything in a search.

Do RCBS mold handles fit Lyman molds?

Thanks!!

boogerred
01-31-2006, 12:04 AM
probably. my 2 lyman handles fit all my lyman molds but neither lyman handle will fit either rcbs mold. i THINK the rcbs molds may have a smaller slot and the handles a smaller shank.

stocker
01-31-2006, 12:29 AM
The answer is yes and no. The Lyman 2 cavity blocks will go on RCBS handles all right but: There is too much slop in the back portion of the tangs and unless you are very careful you will ding up the edges of the locating pin holes as the blocks won't align nicely when you swing them closed. If you examine the shape of the tangs on the Lyman handles and those on the RCBS handles you will see they are cut differently. You can make a metal shim to reduce the swing of the individual blocks on the RCBS tangs and that seems to work without damaging the blocks.

lovedogs
01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Stocker is correct. For all the piddling around we can do to save $$ we can also mess up a good set of moulds by improperly aligning them. Far better to save yourself the problems and just buy the right handles. Just in case you're wondering, the new Lyman handles look like the Saeco handles but they aren't the same, either.

9w1911
12-06-2014, 03:28 PM
I just bought some Saeco and RCBS handles for this reason.

WALLNUTT
12-07-2014, 03:41 PM
I've always used RCBS handles on Lyman molds w/o damage. Just close the blocks carefully watching alignment. I hate the old stubby Lyman handles.

GLL
12-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Talk to Rick (Red River Rick here on Forum) at KAL Tool & Die.

I feel he makes the best mold handles available !

Check out his selection:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?56554-KAL-Mould-Handles

Jerry