PDA

View Full Version : powder order

Beekeeper
03-01-2009, 12:18 AM
recently (yesterday placed an order to Grafs for powder.
Have a list of what I use so didn't check the pages for it all.
Got a phone call from the pretty lady today, of the powders I ordered only 2 were available and the rest would have to be backordered.
Didn't know when they would be available.

Checked their web site and darn almost all of there powder is (not in stock) NIS
Knew there was a lot of panic buying but nothing like this.
This is the first time in all the years I have been reloading Graf's has not had powder.

beekeeper

Buckshot
03-02-2009, 02:53 AM
.................I have a good load for my Garand using surplus WC852 and since they were cheap (at the time) Remington 168 PSP C-L slugs. I set up the Dillon and loaded 500 rounds. Since I don't shoot it much they lasted several years. I recently figured I had enough WC852 left to load another 500 rounds.

I needed the bullets. No one had them, a-tall. So okay I'll find some other cheap slug, but nope. Nothing in stock anywhere you'd consider jacketed plinking bullets. The closest thing to what I wanted was at Graf & Son. Scrolling down everyone's bullet listings showed every popular manufacturer's lower cost 30 cal bullets were simply non-existent. A few places had some 30 cal FNSP 30-30 bullets. I ended up buying some 168gr SPBT's at Graf's (made by Privi-Partisan) and 500 came to $103.

...................Buckshot

bobk
03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I never had an M-1, but the 170 Hornady FN is not a bad bullet. I used to use 47 gr. of IMR 4895 with the Sierra 168 Int. Match as an accuracy check load for '06s. One year I knew I was going to be hunting where no real long shots were possible, I used the same charge, with the 170. The accuracy at 100 was only 1/4" bigger than the match bullets, and that mild load killed a small buck just fine at about 50 yards. No idea how it would feed, but if your M-1 will eat 311041s, I'll bet it would work.

Bob K

GabbyM
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I've an order on the way. Has everything I was looking for. Did have to settle for Remington LR primers instead of my usual Fed. Gold Metal Match. Due to availability. Nothing to panic about.

I really just needed one pound of WW 231 to load up some 380 acp for my daughters new Kel Tec. But after inventory of supplies that turned into a $200 order.

This bubble will bust soon. Powder Valley sent me the invoice Sunday evening. Someone is burning the midnight oil their.

alamogunr
03-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I've an order on the way. Has everything I was looking for. Did have to settle for Remington LR primers instead of my usual Fed. Gold Metal Match. Due to availability. Nothing to panic about.

I really just needed one pound of WW 231 to load up some 380 acp for my daughters new Kel Tec. But after inventory of supplies that turned into a $200 order.

This bubble will bust soon. Powder Valley sent me the invoice Sunday evening. Someone is burning the midnight oil their.

Agree about Powder Valley. They are good folks. I had an order in for 6 items (powder and primers). Only one item was in stock. They held the order until all items were available. Didn't really take too long.

I guess I should apologize to everyone. I'm probably part of the problem. I'm pretty well stocked up on things I need now so I won't be ordering any more for awhile.

John
W.TN

Down South
03-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I haven't ordered anything in the way of powder or primers since around mid-summer. I was thinking that a panic buy might happen depending on the election results and it did. I did buy a large enough stock of powder and primers then to last me a while. I bought a pound or so of powder locally since then (recently) to try out some different loads with and then still didn’t find exactly what I wanted. Pickings were slim in the places that I shopped.
I check supply status at several online places from time to time. Each time I check it seems supplies are lower.
I have to agree about PV. Those are some nice folks to deal with. PV is who I use most of the time for powder and primers.
Hopefully this panic buying will start drying up soon. Maybe supplies will get back to normal levels. It wouldn’t surprise me if the retail prices don’t go even higher in the near future though. If all goes well, some of us will be picking up deals from the panic buyers later on.