PDA

View Full Version : Need kinetic bullet puller - suggestions?

jeff423
02-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I just broke my RCBS puller for the second time - the plastic part that holds the shell holder. I am careful and keep it tight during the "whacking". I know RCBS will replace it for free but it is frustrating to have happen on a Saturday afternoon and be down for a few days.
Are there any others that use a different design that might last longer?
I already have a cam type so I'm looking for another inertia type.

Thanks,

Jeff

1hole
02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
My year old RCBS puller works fine. ???

I think the shell holding part is pretty much the same on all of the current designs.

jcwit
02-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Only solution I see here is to have a second one as a back-up. Thats what I did as most of these pullers are the same design. Be sure the 2nd one is also RCBS for the warrenty that I see you already know about.

Firebricker
02-28-2009, 10:13 PM
I've got a frankford arsenal that has held up really well. I had one a gave my nephew that was identical but I think it was labeled midway

jeff423
02-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Only solution I see here is to have a second one as a back-up. Thats what I did as most of these pullers are the same design. Be sure the 2nd one is also RCBS for the warrenty that I see you already know about.
Thanks,

That's probably the best answer.

Jeff

qtip223
02-28-2009, 11:25 PM
What are you hitting the puller on? I have had a midway for 10+ years. It still works good. I use a pine 2x10 screw to my bench for impact.

jeff423
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
2 x 4

RP
03-01-2009, 12:24 AM
i use a lead ingot that 2+4+1 1/2 to hit mine on I have broken one myself and found with the lead it seems to takes some of the stress off the tool.

azcoyhunter
03-01-2009, 01:01 AM
do not get the cabela's bullet puller

The rubber bands broke holding the collet together after about 2 months,and they are hard to replace

monadnock#5
03-01-2009, 01:24 AM
I had a Quinetics bullet puller that gave me many years of faithful service, until the ID of the hammer got chipped and funneled which caused erratic results. I bought a Frankford Arsenal to replace it. I haven't used it yet, but I don't like the three different collets. I know reloading uses lots of small parts, and keeping track of them all is part of the process. I just don't remember a cartridge I couldn't apart with the one size fits all collet that came with the Quinetics.

jeff423
03-01-2009, 09:05 AM
I bought a Quinetics collet for my RCBS. It works much better than the one that most of the other types use: 3 piece with rubber band.
The Quinetics looks like the same metal piece but they have crimped it on to what may be the same rubber band the others use. However Quinetics cuts the rubber band so that it stays expanded until you tighten the plastic collar.
It is much faster because the case mouth does not "grab" the collet as you push it in. I don't normally roll crimp so the case mouth on .44's and .45s really was hard to push through the collet. I often rolled one of the 3 pieces out of the rubber band and they are a PITA to get back in.
The Quinetics collet eliminates that problem.

Jeff

Pepe Ray
03-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I've used only one, an oldie. certainly more than 20-YO. The instructions at that time warned to NOT strike on steel, C.I., concrete nor any rigid ,immovable surfaces or it would likely break. I've always used a 10" piece of 2"x4", hand held.
The spring holding the Colet together gave out several years back. I switched to using the shell holder from my press. Fits fine ,unbreakable. A little slower if you must dump each individual powder chg. So what! You should not be rushing anyway.
Pepe Ray
P.S. The real old Lyman SH's with over size heads are too large but I don't expect there to be many of those amongst this readership.

TAWILDCATT
03-01-2009, 04:55 PM
pepe:if your trying to unload pistol with lead bullets run it into full lenght die to the depth of the bullet.also use a shell holder instead of the collet that comes with it.:coffee:[smilie=1:

mikekj
03-01-2009, 10:19 PM
+1 to the shellholder trick. It really speeds things up, vs. the collet. And no o-rings to break or replace.

KirkD
03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I have a Lee and have really put it through its paces pulling a bunch of 25-20 bullets that don't have much mass and were heavily crimped. There was an awful lot of whacking per cartridge with such a light bullet. I've had it for a couple years now and have used it with a variety of calibers from 25-20 to 45-70 without any sign of it cracking yet.

Shiloh
03-01-2009, 11:12 PM
I have an ancient green one probably RCBS (I should look sometime) and a blue one.
One works as well as another. I find the old style collets with the wire split ring retainer preferable to the o-ring type.

Shiloh

R.C. Hatter
03-02-2009, 01:29 AM
I've used an old green RCBS kinetic puller for many years, with a lead ingot cast in a Lyman or Lee ingot mold for an impact cushion. So far, I've not broken anything. I do use a small piece of styrofoam in the bottom of the puller cavity, as a cushion for the bullet to impact against when it releases.

Hardcast416taylor
03-02-2009, 02:33 AM
I am on my 2nd RCBS puller in about 12 yr. The first broke off at the head/handle meeting spot. They replaced it - no questions. I came upon a neat way to stop deforming bullets when pulling with this puller. I put 1 E.A.R. soft earplug in the bottom of the chamber. It takes the impact with no bullet tip distortion. I also increased the diameter of the handle by simply putting a grip from the handlebar of a bicycle onto it. Handles better with a more hand filling feel. I also put the same grip on my RCBS lubesizer for a more comfortable grip. A mind is a terrible thing to waste - even if it is mine.:-DRobert

Lloyd Smale
03-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I cant stand pulling bullets and havent done it for years. Ive got a bucket and bad ones just get dumped. Unless its expensive or hard to find brass its just not worth the hastle for me.

Shiloh
03-02-2009, 12:53 PM
I cant stand pulling bullets and havent done it for years. Ive got a bucket and bad ones just get dumped. Unless its expensive or hard to find brass its just not worth the hastle for me.

I have often thought of taking your approach. Several years ago I pulled around 1200+ 9mm boolits that were loaded to hot. I would do 20-30 at a time and it took a good part of the winter. Too cold to shoot anyway. Too cold to cast standing on below 0 concrete in the garage.

With the price of primers what they have become, I thought it wise to save the primed brass and salvage the WW 231. The boolit noses destroyed by the collet, went back into the pot in the spring.

Shiloh

revolver junkie
03-04-2009, 02:58 AM
ill add aonther vote for frankfort arsenal mine has worked perfectly for 3 years including plenty of 45acp and 38spc. as well as 330gr 45 colt loads, and even a few rifle rounds of various caliber
hard to beat considering it only has a little wear on the collet seat.

TAWILDCATT
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM
if the bullet is out enuf the hornady lever is great,jac or lead.if the bullet is todeep in case the wacker is better.but resize the shell to base of bullet and it will come right out.:coffee:[smilie=1: