PDA

View Full Version : To begin using paper jacketed bullets, does Matthews' book info I need?

Naphtali
02-28-2009, 12:32 PM
I acquired a copy of Paul Matthews' The Paper Jacket and am about one-third through it the first time. Does this book have the information I need to [test] use paper-jacketed bullets in my 45-70s? I am particularly in need of a specific method to identify paper and affix it to bullet. This is a skill I've not used anywhere else, nor do I know anyone who has done this procedure on any bullet for any firearm.

montana_charlie
02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Does this book have the information I need to [test] use paper-jacketed bullets in my 45-70s?
I have not read it, but many (of the BP persuasion) say it is 'the bible' of P/P-ing.
If it doesn't have the specific answer you need, it will probably make you knowledgeable enough to figure it out for yourself.
CM

BPCR Bill
02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Naphtali, read it through and your questions will most likely be answered. I haven't read it, but I have Randy Wrights book on patching. You will need a quality onion skin paper with a good rag contact, and a template for cutting the patches from said paper. Then it's practice, practice. It may be too much work for what you have in mind, but for those of us with a quest for accuracy and a curious mind, it's worth the work. Maybe I've just got too much time on my hands.

Regards,
Bill

Naphtali
03-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm downloading most of the data on this forum.

If there are additional recommended books on paper patching, please identify them well enough that I can order any of them.

BPCR Bill
03-01-2009, 02:27 PM
The book "Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets, A Beginners Guide" Randolph S Wright. Available through SPG products (Black Powder Cartridge News) or from the authors website: www.wrightgalleries.com. I think you can get it from the Shiloh Rifles website as well. The book is well written in simple understandable language, and has a good list of supply sources in the index.

Regards,
Bill

P Patcher
03-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I acquired a copy of Paul Matthews' The Paper Jacket and am about one-third through it the first time. Does this book have the information I need to [test] use paper-jacketed bullets in my 45-70s? I am particularly in need of a specific method to identify paper and affix it to bullet. This is a skill I've not used anywhere else, nor do I know anyone who has done this procedure on any bullet for any firearm.

I think it's probably one of the best books on Paper Patching that was ever written. His writings on, paper, cutting patches and using a patching board are the best The info is all there, read it and use it
It beat's the heck out of reading about cigerette roller's and remember you still have to do the time as He was not using your gun when he wrote the book. I wish I had this kind of reference material around when I started. Good luck
Addison

pdawg_shooter
03-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I too think Mathews book it the best. I had been paper patching 20 years or so before I read it, and had made every mistake possible. If I had the book when I started I could have avoided ALL those mistakes. But then I wouldnt have had as much shooting to do!

docone31
03-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I had that book also. I read it, and read it. I did not comprehend a single thing, and I did not want to try it as I had smokeless rifles only. I had also read Ross Seyfreid's article on paper patching a jacketed load, rolling on a file, etc.
It was not untill I found this forum that I even tried it.
Now, it is all I do with my rifles.
Full tilt loads with accuracy with lead!
Someone stole my book back in the '80s.

pdawg_shooter
03-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I see the book is in reprint now. Once again available!