PDA

View Full Version : If I were to make PVC forms for a hard lube to go into my Star sizer....

Russel Nash
02-28-2009, 01:08 AM
what kind of dimensions are we talking about?

Currently, I am in one spot. My Star lube sizer is in the next town over. And my shop where I could easily cut PVC pipe to length quickly and accurately is the next town over in the opposite direction.

So to avoid all this running around, I was hoping you guys could tell me what the inside dimensions are of the Star lube-sizer's reservoir.

And if you guys have any other advice about making up a batch of hard lube and pouring it into PVC "forms", I would appreciate that too.

I did get the Star heater for it too. I was just hoping to make up a bunch of sticks this weekend. Push the solidified lube out of the PVC pipe and store the sticks say like in an ammo can. Then reuse the forms at a later date.

Thanks!

KYCaster
02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
1 in. sch 40 PVC is what you need. Length of lube sticks is normally 4 in. which works OK in the Star.

Somebody posted instructions with pics a couple years ago, might check the stickies.

Put them in the freezer before you try to punch the lube out of the form, much easier that way.

Jerry

TAWILDCATT
02-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I have a set up for yrs.I used 1" steel conduit.with the plastic protecters.cut board and screwed the plastiv to board,sliped the conduit in and used a electric cooker to melt the mix.got cooker in yard sale couple bucks.pour in tubes let cool stick in freezer and take a piece of broom handle and push out.I used toilet bowl rings and beeswax and hytemp gear grease.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Russel Nash
02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Just one inch, eh?

I knew the lube reservoir was small, I just didn't know it was that small.

At one point I kicked around the idea of using toilet paper cardboard tubes to hold the lube in, just peel the cardboard when you are ready to drop the lube into the reservoir. I figured out that the carboard tube was too big. It must be about 1.75" in diameter.

Thanks for the replys! :drinks:

cbrick
02-28-2009, 11:14 PM
I made this lube mould to make 1" sticks. Its a 2X8 slit down the middle with a peice of flat rubber in the middle. The aluminum tubes push into holes in the top peice of wood and seal on the rubber so it doesn't leak lube out the bottom. The aluminum tube is 1" ID and being aluminum helps with cooling the lube.

http://www.lasc.us/DSCN1676-5.jpg

The lube must be cooled to get it out of the aluminum tubes. Once its at room temp I hold it under running tap water for a few minutes and then just push the lube sticks out with a 1" wood dowel with a flat end.

Rick

crabo
03-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Rick, thanks for the picture, I have been nuking my speedgreen in the microwave, but half the time I end up over filling it. That would work nicely.

cajun shooter
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Russell, Use the SCh 40 in 1 in and put a plug on one end, NOT GLUED just slipped on. I have mine at 6in and use a clamp on my Star to cover the vent hole so that it will use the 6in stick. You don't have to add lube as often. Take some cheap cooking spray and coat the inside of each tube and give it time to coat the entire inside of the tube. Then fill to the top. You will after it hardens ,remove the plug and push the lube stick out with a 1in wooden dowel rod. It will slide right out with no problem.

MtGun44
03-03-2009, 11:44 PM
melted lube is a perfect fit to the reservoir, exact match, every time.

Bill