PDA

View Full Version : Russian Primers in Dillon

ddeaton
02-28-2009, 12:48 AM
I have been hand priming and shooting the Russian primers without issues. I just loaded up some primer tubes full of them for my 650. First off, a little tight in the loading tubes, have to fiddle somewhat with some to get the tubes loaded up. Next, after filling the 650 up with them, you have to keep a good eye on the primer follower rod when cycling. I had some jams at times in the feed tube. All and all, I had more trouble with them than the USA primers. So, even though they are less $$, I think I will go for USA stuff on my next buying spree. Just my 2 cents worth so far.

I took my loading tubes apart and chamfered the ID on both ends and this seemed to help.

Dale53
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
ddeaton;
That is good information to know.

Dale53

Marc2
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
I've had excellent results with the wolf primers in my Lee press. Hav'nt tried them in my 650 yet.

Marc

fivegunner
02-28-2009, 06:14 AM
I have used a bunch through my 550`s they all worked fine:castmine:

Ron
02-28-2009, 08:18 AM
I have been using Russian made PMC primers for the past two years in my Dillon 650 and have had no problems with them. Maybe your 650 needs some adjustment.

Dan Cash
02-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I chamfered and "honed" the primer tubes on my 550 years ago as I had similar problems with someone's primers back then. I honed with some 600 grit wet or dry carborendum paper on a brass welding rod. I just cleaned the surface. Dillon tells you or used to tell you to clean the tubes froom time to time to prevent build up on primer dust.

ddeaton
02-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I have been running name brand primers without a hitch since I got the 650 and my adjustments are fine. My primer tubes are clean and chamfered. I am not going to hone out my primer tubes. Way too much work for 1 brand of primers. Its not worth it. I will use them with my hand primers for short runs, but why waste time with a primer that is on the large side of the specs. It aint worth the time for the amount of $$ you save buying them. Besides, if you go honing on them and get them out of spec for the other brands, then you will create problems with them. An ID that is too large will create tipping and jamming.

jeff423
02-28-2009, 06:08 PM
I've used Wolff SPP and LPP for a year or so. I've fewer problems with them in my 650 than Winchester.

Jeff

ddeaton
02-28-2009, 10:46 PM
You guys must have older Dillons than mine or I have a tighter batch of primers. I can place a single primer in a pickup tube and it wont slide to the end without pushing it. Not snug, but wont fall on its own either. Tubes are clean as can be without polishing. If you all are doing well with them I will tinker some more. That is why I think out loud on here, always someone to set me straight. :drinks:

mike in co
03-01-2009, 03:47 AM
You guys must have older Dillons than mine or I have a tighter batch of primers. I can place a single primer in a pickup tube and it wont slide to the end without pushing it. Not snug, but wont fall on its own either. Tubes are clean as can be without polishing. If you all are doing well with them I will tinker some more. That is why I think out loud on here, always someone to set me straight. :drinks:

have never tried that, but the design is for a stack of primers to feed smoothly straight down the tube.
a single of any primer is likely to tilt a little and may stick...but it aint how the press is designed to be used.

use what you want, esp if it make you feel safer.

not a big deal ...if you can get the us primers and your wallet can afford them.

mike in co

Lloyd Smale
03-01-2009, 08:48 AM
cleaning the tubes helps but ive had some problems with them in dillons myself. I think there quality control for sizing them is a little rough.

ddeaton
03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
have never tried that, but the design is for a stack of primers to feed smoothly straight down the tube.
a single of any primer is likely to tilt a little and may stick...but it aint how the press is designed to be used.

use what you want, esp if it make you feel safer.

not a big deal ...if you can get the us primers and your wallet can afford them.

mike in co

Mike, I didnt mean I use them in a single primer mode, just using that as a guage for clearance in the tubes. Has anyone measured, or have measurements on the brands of primers? If not, I think I will measure some of each just to see. I guess I am getting too anal now. As far as a single primer likely to tip and hang, that could happen anytime as the feed tubes are tipped while full, and more likely when the primers are tight in the tube and dont flow smoothly as a unit. How many out there hang a weight on the top of the plastic follower tube? I know that is not advised either.

Echo
03-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I put an empty .45ACP case on top of my primer follower - just a fit.

ddeaton
03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Ok, I am going to shut up now. I just miked CCI and Wolf primers.

Wolf .2100
CCI .2105

I have some Winchesters, but too lazy to dig them out. I will fiddle some more.
Thanks guys

yarro
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
The Wolf have more lot to lot variation than other primers. CCI comes in second for lot to lot variation. I have never had problems with any primers in my Dillon, but I do clean my tube once in awhile.

-Yarro