PDA

View Full Version : A question for klw

JohnH
02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Kenneth, (please forgive the familiar if inappropriate) I was reading the article you wrote which appeared in the Lyman 46th Handbook on the numbering system used by Lyman for their molds/cherries. It was just a passing time read untill I noticed that you show the designer of the 358430 being John Leonard. For those who don't know, 358430 is the 195 grain round nose. Can you tell me who John Leonard was?

Also you note that the mold was shown in handbooks 30 and 45. When was handbook 30 published?

I have Handbooks 46, 47 and 48, (46 was my first relaoding manual, mid 1980's) and it doesn't show up in them. Interestingly though, it shows up in the Accurate Arms #2 Manual in 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I have a paper copy of Alliant's data that shows a 200 grain lead round nose for 38 and 357 and have assumed that this is the same boolit for practical purposes if not in fact.

I've had three copies of this this mold over the last 25 years, and am currently shooting it in a 357 revolver, though I have shot it in a 357 Max carbine and will soon be shooting it in a friends 358 Win. as a plinker.

It was interesting to see it in your article, and I hope you can shed some more light on it. It has been a great boolit for myself and apparently many others as well. Thanks for the clarification of history you have left to us in your many writings. They certainly show a labor of love.

Thanks,

JohnH

klw
03-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Just saw your questions. When was that Handbook printed?

Alas that piece was written decades ago and I just don't remember much about it. Sorry but I can not be of any real help.

JohnH
03-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Just saw your questions. When was that Handbook printed?

Alas that piece was written decades ago and I just don't remember much about it. Sorry but I can not be of any real help.

That handbook was printed during the early and mid 1980's. No sweat on not not being able to help on my questions. Thanks for your time, John

NoDakJak
03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
My copy of the Lyman/Ideal handbook #39 shows 358430 and has a publishing date of May, 1953.
Interestingly, on page 86D they show an announcement on the new Harvey PROT-X-Bore bullets. Neil