PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Savage 11 in 308

mpmarty
02-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Now I want to "break it in" properly.
I've heard many different approaches to this subject.
I want to shoot cast boolits almost exclusively.
It has a 1:10 twist (unfortunate but that's how it came).
I have thousands of rounds of military 7.62 Nato ammo if it is best to start with Jbooloits.

Thanks in advance for advice and counsel.

:drinks:

Crash_Corrigan
02-28-2009, 06:04 AM
I just put a Douglas Match bbl in 6.5 x 55 MM on a Mauser action. The gunmaker told me just to shoot it slow and let the bbl cool off. That bit about firing a shot and then cleaning and firing etc is crapola sez he. I followed his advice but only shot about 15 jword boolits and now it eats only cast boolits.

Keeping the fps to less than 1600 keeps the bbl cool and happy and I am happy with the accuracy.

Heavy lead
02-28-2009, 06:23 AM
I've broke in barrels lot's of ways. Essentially Crash is right IMO, this shoot, clean, repeat is bunk. The first thing I do with a barrel when I get it is get all the gunk out and clean it right down, then with a jag and super tight patch I slowly run the rod down the barrel, checking for tight spots and also measuring for the true twist. A 10/1 twist sometimes is more like a 11/1 as an example, so if you have trouble with a particular bullet or boolit it may steer you in the right direction. Also if the barrel is unusually rough right at the beginning when it is down to bare metal I will fire lap it using light loads. I don't buy the bullets already rolled in grit, I make my own. I usually use J-bullets for this.

Lloyd Smale
02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
first thing you need to do is get rid of that surplus ammo. I know just the guy to help with that problem!!

mpmarty
02-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks all for the advice. Appreciated and will follow slow fire cool down method.

revolver junkie
03-03-2009, 01:48 AM
you just need to send it to me ill brek it in really well for you :Fire:

Buckshot
03-03-2009, 03:42 AM
..............I just gotta say that this board sure has a lot of unselfish and very ingratiating members who are always will to go out of their way to ease the life of a fellow member. Simply amazing :-)

................Buckshot

phaessler
03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
My honest opinion, follow Savage's break-in procedure. I have two new Model 12's ones an FV, and the other is a BVSS. Followed it, not my first time mind you , I do own McGowan's and Hart's as well as a Shilen. Easy enough and later on you wont second guess your decision.

http://www.savagearms.com/cs_barrel.htm

Again, I know its a Ford or Chevy, Chocolate or Vanilla question. But just my opinion.
Pete

P.S this is my 12FV, gave it to my son, 10, for Christmas, his first 5 shots after break-in.

mpmarty
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Pete.

MtGun44
03-10-2009, 01:21 PM
I'd follow Savage's recommendation. [smilie=1:

Bill