PDA

View Full Version : S&W pro series

wildbill
02-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Are there any advantages to the pro series Swith & Wessons, or are they just a different look? I was thinking about getting either a 686 ssr or the 642 pro.
Thanks,
Bill

jameslovesjammie
02-28-2009, 07:26 AM
The advantages of the Pro series are that you get some custom shop features without the custom shop prices. The 686 SSR Pro was designed for IDPA shooting, which is why it has a 4" barrel. The slab sided and contoured barrel are modeled after the Custom shop 627, which is the large frame competition gun. The purpose is reduced barrel weight. Other features of this gun are chamfered charge holes (which facilitate faster reloads) and a forged trigger and hammer (SUPPOSEDLY better than MIM parts) interchangeable front sights, fully adjustable rears. I believe the gun is shipped with 2 sets of grips. A wood that has stippling in the center and smooth front and back, and a boot-style grip. The wood one looks quite comfortable.

The 642 Pro differs from the standard 642 in that it has a drift adjustable front sight (as opposed to a standard, non-adjustable front sight), a black coating (the gun is still aluminum framed with a stainless cylinder), and a ported barrel.

What is the purpose of this gun? If you're looking for a range/competition gun, the 686 Pro is a great gun. For concealed carry, though, it is a little heavy. The 642 Pro is geared as a higher end carry gun.

That being said, I would not like the 642 Pro. As a concealed carry gun, the ported barrel is nice for a second shot but can temporarily blind you if shooting in low light conditions. I'd look at the standard 642, which is about as perfect of a concealed carry revolver as you can get. The model 40 is another good one.

wildbill
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. In my post, I meant to say the 627 pro. I assume that want you said about the 686 pro also applies to the 627 pro? Are the advantages of the pro models worth the money over the sandard models in your oppinion?
Thanks again.
Bill

jameslovesjammie
03-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Here's a breakdown of the similarities/differences between the 627 PRO and 627 PC:

Same

N Frame
Bead Blasted finish
Cut for moonclips
Come with moonclips
Target Rear sight
Drilled and Tapped for Scope Mount
Chamfered Charge Holes
Super Cool Barrel Profile

Differences

Pro
4" barrel
Red Ramp front site
Standard MIM trigger and hammer
Hogue Grips
41.2 oz
I think it comes with the blue plastic S&W case, not certain

PC
5" barrel
Gold Bead front site
Chromed .312 trigger with Overtravel Stop, Chrome Tear Drop hammer with Pinned Sear
Wood grips and Hogue rubber grips
"Performance Center Trigger Job"
44 oz
Aluminum case

There is also a standard 627. It is a satin finish 8 shot with a 4" barrel. The cylinder is NOT cut for moonclips though, so if thinking about competition, you would have to pay an extra $100 for Pinnacle Custom to cut it. That puts you right back at the price of the Pro.

There are several variants of the 627/327 guns. They aren't cheap, but they are the flagship of the S&W line.