PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Patch Lube

ddeaton
02-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Anyone have any good recipes or a previous thread on the subject? I tried a search and came up blank. How about a little softer Emmets?

tonyb
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Should find something here:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/203261/

You will have to join but it is free and worth it.

357maximum
02-26-2009, 10:22 PM
If you are talking stricly a lube for RB patches only it is hard to beat IMHO 50% neatsfoot oil (or castor oil) and 50% murphy's oil soap. Soak your fabric/ wring it out /let it somewhat dry/ cut patches or strips / store in an altoids sours tin.

waksupi
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
One part water soluble machine oil, to 10-12 parts water.

Gerry N.
02-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Lard, it's what's for greasing patches. Cheap and keeps the fouling soft.

Gerry N.

corey012778
02-27-2009, 03:40 AM
here is one I found on hunting net. I have not tried yet myself. have some patches with it on it.
A general purpose black powder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using
Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz

northmn
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
There is more alchemy to making patch lubes than you can imagine. We have discussed it ad nauseum on the AmericanLongrifle site. First there are two types if you will. One is good for target shooting or any higher volume shooting where you want to keep the bore cleaner between shots. The wet lubes are good for this and include various combinations of soaps and oils such as Murphy's oil soap, water soluable machine oil, Ballistol and a variety of liquid solvents, usually mioxed with water. Good old spit works well as does plain water. This has been tested and groups are about the same. For hunting loads where the gun is shot little and carried for a period of time, I have found plain old Crisco to work OK. Some like Crisco and Beeswax about 50/50 and some use genuine lard. In this case the lube works to help protect the bore also. Mostly the lube keeps the patch from burning and assists loading.

Northmn

02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Search this site for "boob lube". As I remember it's about 60% lanolin (nursing mothers nipple cream available from Wal-mart and others - hence the name), 30% beeswax, and 10% canola oil. Melt it for awhile, stir it around, and pour it in you flat container to harden.

Beerd
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
beeswax plus olive oil, melted and mixed
more wax = harder loob,
more oil = softer

Boondocker
02-27-2009, 10:08 PM
beeswax plus olive oil, melted and mixed
more wax = harder loob,
more oil = softer

Yep what Beerd said. Different mixes according to the outside temp for patch lube and easy wiping . Works good and smells good and works as a pan seal and a great lip balm, all natural. Boon:grin:

Baron von Trollwhack
02-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Beeswax and olive oil mixed to the consistency of chapstick at room temperature, is a great paw balm for my field dog.

BvT

eka
02-28-2009, 10:36 AM
waksupi, has it right. I took his advice on this one several years ago and it's great. I buy cutting oil at NAPA and mix 1:10. Cheap, easy, and works wet or dry.

Keith

ddeaton
02-28-2009, 10:52 PM
good stuff, I want a target lube first. Will be shooting at the range. Good variety of recipes.:drinks: