PDA

View Full Version : Old Lyman 55 without slide adjustment screws???

mikenbarb
02-26-2009, 09:14 PM
I picked up an old Lyman 55? today and the neat thing about it is theres no adjustment screws on the powder slides like the newer ones and you just slide them by hand. Does anyone know what year this was possibly made and some history on this model. I never saw this type before and its an odd one. Its color is Lyman orange and the original paint but the face sticker is gone unfortunatly:(. If you need pics let me know. Thanks, Mike

**PICS BELOW.

Pressman
02-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Mike the 55 came out in 1947. There are variations depending on how the drop tube is secured. The first ones used a detent and snap ring. The round head screw in the front is the fnaial variation. There is some difference in the early drop tubes also, some did not have threads for press mounting.
The 55 uises the same slide as the older No 5, they are completely interchangeable. The screw adjustable version dates from about 1955/56.
Ken

mikenbarb
02-26-2009, 11:29 PM
Is this one considered a model 5? This one has an unthreaded tube for shelf use only. It has a short front knurled finger screw with a piece of leadshot inside the hole to secure the tube in place so it dont fall out.
Wish I could get an original sticker for it somewhere. I would love to get it back to looking new again.:-D You know I love the cool old stuff with character.
**SEE PICS BELOW.

mikenbarb
02-26-2009, 11:36 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/002-31.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/001-32.jpg

Bent Ramrod
02-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Mikenbarb,

The #5 was all cast iron, including the hopper, and painted black. It had the same knocker on the front and slide adjustments on the dispenser rotor that yours has.

mikenbarb
02-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Now I know what that big ol chunk of cast is that Lyman made.LOL.

Pressman
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Mike, do you have the cap for it? That one should have a blued cap, providing the blue drop tube is correct. Early versions used a bright finish drop tube and machined cap.
Where to get a sticker, do not know. Perhaps you could have some made and sell them to collectors?
Ken

mikenbarb
02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Yep, I have the blued machined steel cap also. Forgot to put it in the pic but its here safe with the powder measure and will remain with it till im 6' under and out of my hands after that:wink:. My wife has specific instructions to come here if I go first to list site auctions with all my stuff.LOL. Hope she gets a big box truck to move it all.:D
PS- My one buddy has a custom print shop that specializes in custom decals and holographics and if I can get a photo image of the sticker he said he can make them to factory specs.
Where would I even get something like that? I guess its photo ready artwork he needs.

Pressman
02-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Mike, I will check my measures. The stickers were fragile and finding one fully intact is difficult.
If I find a good copy I will email you.
Ken

mikenbarb
02-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks Ken and you will be the first to recieve a few "sample" stickers once I can find one to copy for printing. Im contacting Lyman Monday to see what they say or if they have any photo ready artwork for them.

Pressman
02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Mike, sent you an email.
Here is the measure with the sticker.
Ken

mikenbarb
03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Got it, Thanks. If anyone possibly has an original that they can make a copy of please let me know. I am trying to have these made up to original specs and its not going to be easy.:(